Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watch....

(>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    The Ch 4 thing on the Heysel stadium disaster and/or the Mourinho thing on BBC1 last night?

I watched the Heysel thing, found it really interesting and very disturbing. The Mourinho thing is on tonight up here, just wondered if it was any good?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    SpatulaGeekGirl's Avatar Noodle Critic BT Rep: +2
    No, what's it about?
    That's the way the potato mashes.
    That's the way the pan flashes.
    That's the way the market crashes.
    That's the way the whip lashes.
    That's the way the teeth gnashes.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaGeekGirl
    No, what's it about?
    Ehm the Heysel stadium disaster was about the Heysel stadium disaster and the Mourinho thing is a programme about the Chelsea manager Mourinho including an interview with Gary Lineker. Is that what you meant?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I purposely avoided the Mourinho documentary and missed the Hysel due to me not knowing it was on

Not really been much help but I suggest you avoid watching the Mourinho documentary too. Fecking coming over here, stealing our trophies, shagging our women and drinking our beer
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Mourinho manages a team in England, Scotland & Wales?

6. Lounge   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Mourinho manages a team in England, Scotland & Wales?
    I seen he came to Cardiff recently. He did all three of the above, I imagine
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I purposely avoided the Mourinho documentary and missed the Hysel due to me not knowing it was on

Not really been much help but I suggest you avoid watching the Mourinho documentary too. Fecking coming over here, stealing our trophies, shagging our women and drinking our beer
    The Heysel thing was really good I thought. Like you I was pretty young when it happened and though I remember it I didn't know a lot of the surrounding issues and how it changed things. It was very very disturbing to watch again.

Mourinho hasn't any of our trophies nor has he been near my pals as far as I know and i just did a stock take of my beer in the fridge and he hasn't been round He ain't any different from Ferguson or Wenger in his foreigness

I like him, good to see another character in the game. I think his top quote tonight (last night for England) was something like ''I'm not arrogant I'm just special'' I shall be watching..if I stay awake

8. Lounge   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    I can clearly remember the Heysel tragedy the first time around.

As shown in last night's program, the stadium itself was clearly in appalling condition and should never have been used for such a match.

What wasn't shown last night were the actions of a large number of Juventus supporters. I remember seeing lots of missiles coming from that direction and saw one weapon which was some sort of home made flare gun, and another which could have been something similar. It was later claimed that the gun was a starting pistol, but if so how it managed to fire flares I'll never understand. There were plenty of catapult type weapons too.

While it in no way excuses what they did, I suspect that some of the action of the Liverpool "fans" was in reaction to the barrage of missiles to which they were being subjected. All this was clearly shown on tv when the incident actually took place, I can't believe that none of it was recorded or that those recordings have been lost, but I've never seen that side of things shown since.

At the time English fans abroad were a disgrace and something clearly needed to be done, and this was the trigger. But I would have thought that by now it would be possible to show a more realistic sequence of events. Perhaps the 20th aniversary wasn't the time though.

Strangely, there has never been an inquiry into the causes of the disaster. It is suggested that it may have been a result of the 1984 final, where Italian "ultras" were virtually given free rein to attack Liverpool fans after the match, and that some sort of revenge was planned by hooligan elements. I feel sure there were plenty of the "ultras" in the Juventus crowd too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    The Everton supporers I talk to are particularly vehement about this subject - hardly surprising when you consider that they missed out on several European campaigns, at a time when they had a peerless team, because of the ensuing ban.

They blame Liverpool.

I have an open mind and think that maybe if the wall had come down on Liverpool fans rather than Juve fans, the ban may have been reversed. Both sets of fans were clearly to blame but apportioning this blame seems problematic to me. I've read many (forum) debates on the matter and can't seem to decide one way or t'other.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    I agree, I think it was very much an action-reaction thing.

I wasn't trying to apportion blame if that's how it appeared, merely pointing out that they weren't solely responsible. And that last night's program, while more balanced than most have been in the past, still did not show the full story.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast