Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is my computer getting slower and slower

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    OK, about 6 weeks ago or so my computer started running pretty slow. I thought maybe something was running in the background, etc. but nope. An example of it's slowness would be the delayed reaction when right-clicking. After I right-click, the small box doesn't open up for about a full 2 seconds. It does this wherever I try it. Any program, anywhere. Another example would be (you'll know this screen if you have StyleXP) the light blue screen that appears if you have StyleXP at start-up. The one that asks for your password. It used to be that when the blue screen appeared, the log-in window appeared at the same time, now it takes about 15-20 seconds for that log-in screen to appear. These are just two examples.

Some programs take MUCH longer to load. Sometimes I will click on an icon to open a program or game, and I won't even see anything open for almost a minute. IE, Photoshop CS2 also stop responding a lot, PS CS2 especially. I can't even really use that program b/c it goes into a non-responsive state almost immediately most times. IE seems to do it at random intervals. (Yes, FF does it too ) Photoshop CS runs just fine though as do most other programs.

I have AdAware SE and Spybot S&D 1.3.0.12 and run them about every week or two and delete the recommendations. I run a pretty clean system in my opinion but cannot figure out for the life of me what is slowing my PC down. I have thought back on several occasions and tried to remember if I installed something around that time but I can't think of anything except a pack of about 4,500 fonts (I don't think fonts would do this). I'm a pretty handy guy with computers, but this one has me stumped and becoming more and more frustrated.

Any ideas?

Computer specs listed in the spoiler.

Spoiler: Show
    Last edited by Skizo; 05-26-2005 at 08:06 AM.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Have u
    registry cleaned
    defragfmented
    cleaned system - ccleaner etc
    how many processes do you have running at startup asnd general use?
    4500 fonts WILL slow down your startup
    also see this https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t83795.html
    Last edited by 99%; 05-26-2005 at 08:45 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm going to start doing the things in your list in a sec, but to answer your question, these are the things running at startup. There is one more that is ticked that is not shown. ObjectDock.

The startup time is no big deal really. It's when I'm trying to do things on the PC and it's extremely laggy, things are timing out, and not responding that sux, though I think the two problems are surely related since they started at the same time.

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    maybe post a hijackthis log - dwnload here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
    and get it analyzed here - http://www.hijackthis.de/
    or here http://hjt.iamnotageek.com/
    also take a look at this basic health guide
    Last edited by 99%; 05-26-2005 at 10:59 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    I'm going to start doing the things in your list in a sec, but to answer your question, these are the things running at startup. There is one more that is ticked that is not shown. ObjectDock.

The startup time is no big deal really. It's when I'm trying to do things on the PC and it's extremely laggy, things are timing out, and not responding that sux, though I think the two problems are surely related since they started at the same time.

you can disdable a lot of things from that list.

just post everything that is on that list.

Adobe Gamma can be disabled from startup

You know that WhatPulse is a keylogger?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    registry cleaned - Finished. Done with RegCleaner
    defragfmented - No need. Would only free up 4KB
    cleaned system - ccleaner etc. - Done. 405.8 MB cleaned
    how many processes do you have running at startup asnd general use? - See above picture.

As far as the HiJackThis! log, I've looked threw it myself but I'll post on there and reply back with whatever it tells me.

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    defragfmented - No need. Would only free up 4KB
    Wrong answer - its not about the space you save its about organizing your files in the correct order for faster access.
    Post a pic of what windows defragger shows simply after an analysis.
    i advize you to use a better defragger like perfect disk which can be found on fsgsharegmailthingy

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}

you can disdable a lot of things from that list.

just post everything that is on that list.

Adobe Gamma can be disabled from startup

You know that WhatPulse is a keylogger?
    How can I post them all w/o doing four or so screenshots?

I'll disable Adobe Gamma then.

WhatPulse counts my mouse clicks.

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

yo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    your right it looks ok but i would still run pddefragger

to post all your startups simply post the hijackthis file
    Last edited by 99%; 05-26-2005 at 10:43 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast