Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 171

Thread: A moral too far ?

  1. #1
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    A vaccine has been developed that could reduce the risk of cervical cancer by 70-80%...... good news? I think so. But there are those that wish to stop this vaccine entering service. WHY? because they say it will encourage sexual activity.

    Is there a point where lifestyle moral values should overrule medical cures? Will these people object to a cure for aids? I do wonder if cures for such diseases that often carry a social stigma are being held back because of moral values.

    It's ok to have moral values....just don't try to force them on others.

    Some links about the issue (I couldn't find the story on the frc site)

    new scientist

    the nation ( biased ) magazine

    crossfire

    itís an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,401
    Considering no one knows the *cause* of cervical cancer, and I have heard of women who've never had sex to be diagnosed with it, I'd politely tell the naysayers to stuff it. No one deserves to be diagnosed with either cancer or AIDS, irrespective of their sexual proclivities and frequencies.

    Hopefully that makes a bit of sense...I really ought to stop coming here after work.

    things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,491
    So we should keep cancer in the world to keep people chaste? Brilliant.

    I say vaccinate everyone who wants to be vaccinated and then stay the fuck out of their bedroom. (Unless you're sleeping with them I guess...)

    No one deserves to be diagnosed with either cancer or AIDS, irrespective of their sexual proclivities and frequencies.

    Hopefully that makes a bit of sense...I really ought to stop coming here after work.
    Makes perfect sense to me.
    Last edited by MCHeshPants420; 05-27-2005 at 03:27 PM.

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the suburbs. honestment
    Age
    31
    Posts
    21,102
    we should stop neo-cons from having any medical help at all until they accept this

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Newcasil
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,076
    You dont have to kill embryo's to get stem cells from them.

    The Law Lords in the UK have already decided there was nothing wrong with one couple that wished to have a "designer baby".. not because they wished for a superchild etc; but because they wished to take stem cells from the embryo in order to cure the embryo's older sibling.

    The embryo would then carry on to term as the couples second child.

    Saying that the only way to have "Embryionic Stem Cell Research" is to kill the embryo or use frozen ones before discarding shows one thing.. The Pres of the USA doesnt know what the fuck he's talking about.

    But whats new there?

    This is exactly the same thing... denying Research and Medicines that would save lives, because of personal Moral feelings.

    I assume that, if taken ill, those resonsible for these decisions will make full use of the medications available for themselves. Despite the fact that a lot of that Medical Knowledge was made through Grave Robbing and Murder in the past, Nazi experiments in WWII and in numerous other unsavory ways.

    Hypocracy... let them use leeches for all their ailments.

    If these people had their way through history, we'd still believe that a Wolves Penis eaten at midnight on a full moon is the cure for warts or some other such foolishness.

    Therefore, lets treat their medical ailments the way that the Greeks or Romans would have done... wonder if they'll change their minds then?

    An It Harm None, Do What You Will

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,765
    @RF.. you nearly threw me then, almost ready to move your post to the 'stem cell research thread'...then...halfway down....ohhhhhh yeeeaaaahhhh...I seeeee using it as an example of moral bigotry...ah...I get it now...



    Phew.....

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    there is a stem cell research thread ????

    itís an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19,934
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor
    Considering no one knows the *cause* of cervical cancer, and I have heard of women who've never had sex to be diagnosed with it, I'd politely tell the naysayers to stuff it. No one deserves to be diagnosed with either cancer or AIDS, irrespective of their sexual proclivities and frequencies.

    Hopefully that makes a bit of sense...I really ought to stop coming here after work.

    Good speech, I agree.

    However I also agree that if people feel strongly that something is wrong then they have the right (perhaps duty in their eyes) to say it.

    Freedom of expression and all that. As Tony Benn said "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" (Paraphrase).

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    If these people had their way through history, we'd still believe that a Wolves Penis eaten at midnight on a full moon is the cure for warts or some other such foolishness.
    Unless you have actually tried this how do you know it is foolishness.

    Please stop offending the boards wiccans, I thought you knew better than that.

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    You dont have to kill embryo's to get stem cells from them.

    The Law Lords in the UK have already decided there was nothing wrong with one couple that wished to have a "designer baby".. not because they wished for a superchild etc; but because they wished to take stem cells from the embryo in order to cure the embryo's older sibling.

    The embryo would then carry on to term as the couples second child.

    Saying that the only way to have "Embryionic Stem Cell Research" is to kill the embryo or use frozen ones before discarding shows one thing.. The Pres of the USA doesnt know what the fuck he's talking about.

    But whats new there?

    This is exactly the same thing... denying Research and Medicines that would save lives, because of personal Moral feelings.

    I assume that, if taken ill, those resonsible for these decisions will make full use of the medications available for themselves. Despite the fact that a lot of that Medical Knowledge was made through Grave Robbing and Murder in the past, Nazi experiments in WWII and in numerous other unsavory ways.

    Hypocracy... let them use leeches for all their ailments.

    If these people had their way through history, we'd still believe that a Wolves Penis eaten at midnight on a full moon is the cure for warts or some other such foolishness.

    Therefore, lets treat their medical ailments the way that the Greeks or Romans would have done... wonder if they'll change their minds then?
    Let us not forget the society for the preservation of Leeches.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •