Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: If your in a totally sealed room....

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba
    I will leave it at that until someone with the appropriate qualifications comes along and shows me why I am wrong, if so.
    In my capacity as a bank clerk, Boab, I can tell you that energy nor matter simply disappears. It cannot, therefore the energy must go somewhere. In the case of a perfectly sealed room, it can't escape.

The walls of the room, plus anything else contained in the room will absorb the light, much of it will get converted into heat energy and since the room is perfectly sealed the room will get hotter and hotter - because the heat can't escape. Eventually the walls would melt and the energy would escape.

In short, unless the perfectly sealed room is not perfectly sealed, thus creating a different scenario, all of the light is still in the room, it's just not light anymore.

Yeah -- what JP said.

Btw, I found your source. It's basically an answer in a forum, that's like someone quoting me writing here as a valid source in an argument about the best gifts to buy your missus at xmas
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba
    I will leave it at that until someone with the appropriate qualifications comes along and shows me why I am wrong, if so.
    In my capacity as a bank clerk, Boab, I can tell you that energy nor matter simply disappears. It cannot, therefore the energy must go somewhere. In the case of a perfectly sealed room, it can't escape.

The walls of the room, plus anything else contained in the room will absorb the light, much of it will get converted into heat energy and since the room is perfectly sealed the room will get hotter and hotter - because the heat can't escape. Eventually the walls would melt and the energy would escape.

In short, unless the perfectly sealed room is not perfectly sealed, thus creating a different scenario, all of the light is still in the room, it's just not light anymore.

Yeah -- what JP said.

Btw, I found your source. It's basically an answer in a forum, that's like someone quoting me writing here as a valid source in an argument about the best gifts to buy your missus at xmas
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

Yeah -- what JP said.

For F*ck sake that is the whole point. It is not light anymore. By the way that was not the only source I looked up and there is general disagreement as to how long it would be before the room returned to the state it was in before the light was switched on. I see you agre with the room overheating.

P.S Stop studying physics and see to my bank account.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Sorry, Boab. You're misunderstanding something quite important.

Light is energy, the poster asked where does that light (energy) go?

The answer is that it stays in the room.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

5. Lounge   -   #35
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Weak joke number 427:

6. Lounge   -   #36
    In other words answers here are not worth quoting as an answer to a Physics problem. Thank you for that.

I will close at that. There does not seem any point in carrying it on any further.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    In other words answers here are not worth quoting as an answer to a Physics problem. Thank you for that.

I will close at that. There does not seem any point in carrying it on any further.
    I'm just saying that since you went to the trouble of finding something out from someone on the interweb, you should have used a site with verified data, rather than use conjecture. I consider it pretty bad form not to provide a source, hence the reason I went looking for your own. It might have been from the mentalist guide to fizzics for all I knew.

You'll agree that using the Nasa site to define the distance that the Earth is from the Sun is far better than quoting someone at t'Moderation saying that that they reckon it's further than the Spar - so about ten miles.

The quote you gave was actually disputed later on in the thread by other people for a good reason. Parts of it are incorrect.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    If it is a perfectly sealed room,stop worrying about where the lights going start worrying about when the airs gonna run out

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Problem here is that if it is a totally sealed room, we need to question how the air came to be in the room. The gases that make up air oxygen, CO2, Nitrogen etc have to be made in some way and then input into the room. The problem therefore is whether the air was in the room prior to its sealing or whether the room is actually a vacuum.

I then got to wondering, would being in a vacuum affect the light, and/or its particles?

Please...No Die Soon Dyson jokes....thankyou
    Last edited by sArA; 06-01-2005 at 12:49 PM.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by gripper103.2
    If it is a perfectly sealed room,stop worrying about where the lights going start worrying about when the airs gonna run out

How can the air run out if the room is sealed.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast