Thread: Old Monitor

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Hey guy's not really a question but. My old Veiwsonic pro crt 17 " is giving up the ghost , a real yellow tinge . Thought hope its not the vid card . Wife says try another monitor you silly rabbit . I tryed drivers for my Ati 9700 pro and monitor refresh rates , colour profiles you name it. Dam if I didn't have two old monitors in my closet ,( from friends upgrading) . One is a 5 year old Samtron 76v , The other is a 2 year old Kds . I plugged in the Samtron and it looks GREAT......

Both look great to these old eyes tho ! To make a short story long, I know my wife was right but , is it a my video card that helps that much or what ? I think the Samtron has a Sony tube ? I mean I was prepaired to part with some hard earned cash to buy a new 19 " LCD monitor . Like the wife says bigger "IS" not allawys better !

Edit: Must you have to take so long to set up a new monitor ? Like is there not an auto button for cripes sake.
    Last edited by peat moss; 06-01-2005 at 01:20 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Sounds to me like your Monitor is just dying....
    I bought another one last year when I was having problems..it was my Motherboard that was causing it...I just kept the New one as a spare...it took me about 1/2 hour to set that one up...more options than I will ever need.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I don't know about your specific monitor, but some old ones I've seen have adjustable red/blue/yellow pots in the back that you can adjust via a TV tool or screwdriver.

I'm not saying that it will fix the problem, but you may be able to compensate by potting up/down the settings.

Also, I had a monitor go blue on me, and I found out that the cable just went bad, so that may be your problem. (Or a pin problem in the connector)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thankx fellas checked the cables and pins but think it was just getting old. Hey when you play with the colour pots you better have a good mirror right ? Or a friend or child with lots of patientence !

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Thankx fellas checked the cables and pins but think it was just getting old. Hey when you play with the colour pots you better have a good mirror right ? Or a friend or child with lots of patientence !
    Toss that POS and get an LCD

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    I got lucky and picked up an acer al1711 17" LCD for £70 and its lovely,takes up hardly any room,one thing though don't clean the screen with any type of liquid cleaner it tends to bugger it Oh well we live an learn
    Last edited by Gripper; 06-01-2005 at 12:46 PM.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7

Laugh

If you actually try it, then a mirror is a good idea.

There's nothing worse then turning it without looking, and then having to get the tool back into the slot when you go around and see you went too far.

Oh, and the other guy's right. If you can afford an LCD, get one. The savings on the electricity bill is reason enough.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Taken Aback
    If you actually try it, then a mirror is a good idea.

There's nothing worse then turning it without looking, and then having to get the tool back into the slot when you go around and see you went too far.

Oh, and the other guy's right. If you can afford an LCD, get one. The savings on the electricity bill is reason enough.

The mirror trick I learnt from an old Scottish tv repair man , Named Telley Bob . My old spare will have to do for now. With a mortgage and three kids there are always other things.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Yeah, I know how it is. I don't actually have an LCD at the moment for similar reasons.

Incidentally, living in a big city, I notice people junking CRTs all the time, and a good amount of them are labeled as "works" by the conscientious owners putting them out.
    Last edited by Taken Aback; 06-02-2005 at 01:49 PM.