Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing ratDVD - the DVD movie download format?

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    [news=http://gfx.cdfreaks.com/img/1117601247]Here is a very interesting project, just released and there is very little user information around so far. Yet, it is enticing to say the least. RatDVD was developed as a result from the authors negative experiences of downloading movies, (which is a no - no!). Yet, the guy was frustrated because he could not get the movies he wanted in his country for months or even a year, and since movies are his hobby, he turned to the Internet. Sound familiar?

Anyway, he wanted to watch it on any DVD player - without losing any features of the original DVD and he says this is what ratDVD can do. In fact, he is touting this as a method of making movies as easy to share as MP3's due to the remarkably small file size it produces, with claimed great audio and video quality. You can even convert them back to a DVD if you like and play it in a stand alone player. Most of the time the reconstructed movie will fit on a single layer DVD. If not, you can select features to remove, alter the audio or the program can sacrifice quality to make it fit.

Supposedly, this application can take an entire full length DVD movie, regardless of extras and create a single file of around 1 gigabyte in size with no noticable loss of quality. Is it true? I don't know. Does it work? I don't know that either. But it's freeware so what the heck. Here's some info from the website. Just make sure you have WinXP, DirectX9, Windows Media Player 10 and a DVD software player installed. You'll also need about a half a gig of RAM and a 2.6 class processor with a "decent" video card.

Features:

ratDVD takes a full featured DVD movie and puts it into a highly compressed .ratDVD container format file - while preserving all the features of the original DVD such as:

• Full anamorphic picture, seamless branching, multiple video angles, multiple audio channels, subpictures, etc.
    • Keep movie versions (Directors Cut, Theatrical version, etc.), Alternate story endings, making of, video commentary , cut scenes, etc.
    • Keep complete menus, navigation and features
    • Reliable high quality, valid check-summed container.

You can directly play back the .ratDVD file - with all the options the original DVD movie would give you. Just by double clicking without the hassle of having to handle different files or the need to use special programs. You like the DVD? Well, you can simply convert it back to the original DVD format, burn it and watch it on any DVD player - again without loosing any features!

If your content is protected and you wish to make a backup, you'll need DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD or some such product. If this software pans out, it could be an enormous headache for Hollywood, that's for sure. Just make sure you are using a computer that does not contain critical assets as this software is very new. It was released May 30.

Source: CDfreaks.com
    Link: ratdvd.dk[/news]

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    I may give this a try to see how it is...

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    david622's Avatar Procrastinator
    ratDVD is a new program that came out a couple of days ago. Basically, it advertises that it can compress a 4.7 gig DVD movie into 1.x gigs while maintaining ALL of the extra features on the disc.

I haven't gotten it yet, but it seems pretty promising. Check out its homepage here:

http://www.ratdvd.dk/index.htm

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    Quote Originally Posted by david622
    ratDVD is a new program that came out a couple of days ago. Basically, it advertises that it can compress a 4.7 gig DVD movie into 1.x gigs while maintaining ALL of the extra features on the disc.

I haven't gotten it yet, but it seems pretty promising. Check out its homepage here:

http://www.ratdvd.dk/index.htm
    yep already know about that. It has already been posted in our forums somewhere (cant remember where)....
    The program looks very intresting, I'm gonna give it a shot.

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    I hope it gains popularity...looks pretty sweet!

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sameer0807
    yep already know about that. It has already been posted in our forums
    Merged...
    Last edited by RealitY; 06-04-2005 at 06:28 AM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    Is there a loss in quality?

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I'm now testing this.

I have so far downloaded and installed the software.

I have compressed one DVD of 6.7 GB and it produced a 1.31 GB .ratDVD file.

I am now "processing" the .ratDVD file to recreate a DVD.

Everything seems to be working as it should but the process take quite a long time even with a good PC. I'll post after the DVD has been recreated.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    The test has completed.

After the process was done... I was left with a folder of 4.27 GB with fully fuctioning DVD contents. The quality seems very close to the original DVD.

So overall a successful test. The only problem was the length of time it requires.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    The test has completed.

After the process was done... I was left with a folder of 4.27 GB with fully fuctioning DVD contents. The quality seems very close to the original DVD.

So overall a successful test. The only problem was the length of time it requires.
    What time does the normal dvd format require?What time does this new format take?
    Last edited by ziggyjuarez; 06-05-2005 at 05:44 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast