Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions For FST

Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Personally I don't feel comfortable unless I've read the front page news before pissing off directly to the lounge.
    Until today, I didn't know there was a Front Page..I never looked for one

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #62
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420
    scrap the idea of giving them bigger PM boxes and ability to make polls anywhere. Neither is really needed, people can delete old PM's and ask mods to move polls if they think it's better placed elsewhere.
    Well fair enough so now well just have the basics along with the color change on title. As for the stars well just use the same ones that are set for 5k posters or possibly get some orange ones that are a bit different and for those that may find that offensive they can just addblock them I guess which they would be doing already anyway considering ranks and stars are already in place.

I still think Content Provider is a bit dry and would like other suggestion for the name. This will most likely only be at the View Member Ranks legand as most user customize their title anyway. If nothing else better is to be thought of then I think going back to Forum Contributor is which is a title used on other forums also and I think should be fine now as it wont be associated with those that are of assistants to other and just be related to the outlined areas so then nobody should be offended by it hopefully...
    Last edited by RealitY; 06-08-2005 at 05:31 AM.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #63
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by RealitY
    scrap the idea of giving them bigger PM boxes and ability to make polls anywhere. Neither is really needed, people can delete old PM's and ask mods to move polls if they think it's better placed elsewhere.
    Well fair enough so now well just have the basics along with the color change on title. As for the stars well just use the same ones that are set for 5k posters or possibly get some orange ones that are a bit different and for those that may find that offensive they can just addblock them I guess which they would be doing already anyway considering ranks and stars are already in place.

I still think Content Provider is a bit dry and would like other suggestion for the name. This will most likely only be at the View Member Ranks legand as most user customize their title anyway. If nothing else better is to be thought of then I think going back to Forum Contributor is which is a title used on other forums also and I think should be fine now as it wont be associated with those that are of assistants to other and just be related to the outlined areas so then nobody should be offended by it hopefully...

You need a better word than 'contributor'. Trust me on that.

Forum Support Worker? FSW's for short.

I'm sure others can come up with better ideas than me.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #64
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Forum Support Worker? FSW's for short.

I'm sure others can come up with better ideas than me.
    How about Neo-Support Forum Worker?

B3ta readers will get the acronym

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #65
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion7718
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Personally I don't feel comfortable unless I've read the front page news before pissing off directly to the lounge.
    Until today, I didn't know there was a Front Page..I never looked for one
    You do realise that I was being ironic.

===

Afaic, the whole idea of doling out badges to people that do a specific thing is a bit silly. Stars that encourage people to post, okay with me - mods need badges to set them apart when dealing with flames or conveying info from TC; in this instance a badge is surplus. I agree with what SnnY wrote so I won't reiterate the reasons.

That said, I imagine that it will happen anyway so to avoid the problems SnnY outlined, I think a public poll to decide exactly who these special people are going to be would be a good idea. Abiding by a democratic decision that goes against you sits a lot easier than putting up with a whim of an individual.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #66
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RealitY
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    If you are determined to make changes, why not make it better for everybody, by giving all of us slightly bigger pm-boxes after making a set amount of posts, or whatever?
    So then I guess your saying someone who makes oodles of posts should get a bigger pm box then rather than Content Providers. Thats interesting thought although it may confict with all that which youve mentioned about anarchy and all that I dont seem to understand. I just cant imagine some starts not making someone equal and that you have the need to block them in the name of anarchy as it just sounds a tad far fetched or perhaps you know more than me.
    No it doesn't, as everybody will hit five, ten or a hundred posts or whatever fairly soon, which was what I had in mind. The only reason I didn't suggest letting everybody have a bigger pm-capacity from the start is that there's no point of expanding the pm-capacity for people that never come here again after asking one question.

The stars, like your idea of a usergroup, gives one the idea of a ranking-system, we already have some people thinking that more stars equal a better poster, this idea of a special usergroup adds to the idea, now we don't just get five-star veterans, suddenly we also have an elite.

I don't understand how you can find the concept so hard to grasp.

I do prefer the idea of making a member responsible for something or other, like you've done with gepper. Make a group called news guys or whatever, but don't make it a reward, but rather an assignment.
    Im also a tad confused with all the comments about athority figures and find them slightly misplaced and and hope you dont have some sort of need to place me in that sort of role so Im set to be the one that represents all your against somehow. I still consider myself a member primarily and whatever I or any of the Team does is just simply to hopefully make FST a better place for us all.
    That was more of an aside than anything. To clarify, I do feel that authority is necessary to some extent as it actually promotes equality. BY having mods on here, people can't insult others to silence and such, which promotes the idea of everyone being allowed to have a voice. I'm not keen on authority on principle, but as long as some can't respect others, or those rules we've all agreed on, then authority is needed as someone has to clean up the mess. Besides, I never felt any special need to respect someone more because they were a mod, instead I try treat people on here the way I do because of who they are.

WRT your idea, I'd much prefer (and this in any community, or situation) that any change came through a communal decision.

At this stage the only purpose of this is just to encourage n00bs and members to become more active in areas that are drawing most of our new traffic which without there will be not much of anything other than a dozen regulars chatiing about ragging about how slow this place is and that its a waste of time. If you think back a little maybe youde remember or perhaps you would prefer it that way although I doubt it...
    I think that little improvements for every member will work better than larger improvements for a select few.

Of course a busier place is better, but that doesn't mean that we should alter what was good in the first place.

However, should this notion of yours turn out to be something everybody (except me) wanted, then it would be a communal decision, and I couldn't argue with that. You have to remember that decisions made by one admin or another in the past, turned out to repel people rather than attract them (I'm thinking of anti-spam, for one thing).

You could put it to a vote or something.

And while we are at it, see how many members actually think the frontpage is useful, and how many people there are that have a habit of looking at it
    Last edited by Snee; 06-08-2005 at 01:48 PM.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #67
    @SnnY I have given everything youve mentioned consideration and have removed the thought of deciding who is good (or better which seems your concern) at giving assistant. The fact is after some though I dont even want to be a part of making such decisions. The fast is the usergroup is now as you mentioned an assignment to keep it simple. As for the portal I see no reason to take a poll on it as allot of hard work has gone into it and is only a positive for us and in NO could waybe considered a negative at all.

@MCHeshPants420 At this point a member within the usergroup will have a color change and stars to match which we already have in place and unmoderated posting in News for efficiency. This will be based on a very simple formula (as SnnY mentioned) for those who post a given amount in certain areas within a certain time frame. Im thinking 15 per month or something similar. Those that do such should, ,can, and I suggest, change their titles to match what their doing or keep the customized ones that they already have so the name of the group is actually irrelevant anyway. I dont think attaching Job or Worker is needed for obvious reasons as I wouldnt want anyone to feel like thats what this was. Of course if a better name comes along that stands out then thats great and if there are a few we could decide from there.

Maybe take a look at the layout now
    There will be a usergroup added to FST called Forum Contributors. Of course anyone can still change their user title to whatever they want. The name is mainly only used for the admin panel and if anyone views member ranks.

Forum Contributors Will Be

Those that post front page News regularly.
    Those that post Verifieds regularly.
    Those that post NZB regularly.

Forum Contributors Changes Will be

Orange stars and bold nick in same color to match.
    Ability to post News without need for moderation.
    Looks very simple and non elitist and I cant imagine any further offense being taken to this. I have met your concerns and made changes to meet at a nice middle ground so perhaps you could do the same and accept my efforts to do so as I think its good enough for all concerns now.

The only thing intended to accomplish out of this from its original conception was to encourage more posting in areas that are getting the most views currently and taking the most Google hits also. These areas are ultimately in my thought the gateway for n00bs to arrive within our community which is in the best for us all...
    Last edited by RealitY; 06-08-2005 at 08:32 PM.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #68
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Mostly, Im with Snny here, an excellent post imo.

Also, if im right (I may be wrong) the front page has some sort of code or some gizmo-magnet-thingie-stuff-whatever
    that spose to get FST more "reputation" or some such on the search engines and other
    places that does the gategorizing and eventually bring more folks here,
    in which case, I wouldnt throw the front page away.

Anyhoo, I havent been here that much lately so I might be terribly wrong in late turns.

Spoiler: Show

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #69
    @Afronaut Ive done everything I can think of to meet SunnY in the middle regarding his concers if you read though...
    Last edited by RealitY; 06-08-2005 at 04:56 PM.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #70
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    The portal is there so we have some sort of a home page, and it lets us add more pages such as the board rules and disclaimer notice.
    Not sure why you think we should remvoe that.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast