Thread: Want To Try Linux.

Question Mark

I wanted to try Linux and was wondering which version I should get, I'm downloading Knoppix, Should I use this one? or get UBUNTU Linux CD and try that or another type of Linux Distro.
    Last edited by jdpatel; 06-10-2005 at 04:03 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DigitalSoul's Avatar The Leftover Crack
    knoppix is a live cd version of a linux system...you could install it on your harddrive, but id suggest something nice and simple like suse linux or the newest debian, which should be really easy to install (not like the old one...ughhh)
    have a taste of linux with knoppix and then decide, your going to have fun with linux ;-)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    vampiro's Avatar Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    ubuntu is good i have started using it loads of extras that can be unlocked and it also keeps the software upto date automaticaly as well

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    You may also wanna try Mandriva, very easy to install and use

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    true_neo's Avatar The Dark Lord Revan
    PcWorld Norway did a test on Linux distros and they ripped the piss out of Mandriva :p
    The only distros they didn't rip the piss out of was FC3 and Ubuntu. And FC3 == dependency error hell, so I wouldn't recommend that lol.
    Sage goes in the signature field.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    You know, dont believe everything you read in magazines

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    HCT's Avatar WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ubuntu is nice, i use it all the time

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Just installed Suse 9.3 Pro and it runs smoother than xp on my rig:
    Athlon 2500 barton 1.8ghz
    1gb DDR Ram
    250GB HD
    ATI Radeon 9500Pro 128MB (still kickin a good 30fps on most stuff)
    Asus Motherboard (Nforce2 Dolby Digital Surround Sound)

One thing, Make sure you check your monitor settings when you install it. If you can't find yours in the list of thousands, then select one of the "standard" monitor types (CRT or Flatpanel.. with 1024x768 res to be safe, you can always reconfigure it to 1280x1024 once the o/s is running)

Good Luck, Linux is pretty cool in KDE. People claim it's slower than Gnome, but I see no slowdown whatsoever. Runs great! (I have atleast 80-90% less window lag than with XP. Dunno why, but windows loves to lag, even with 1gb ram rofllollmao)
    Maybe gates made windows laggy on purpose...turn the whole world into zombies with extreme patience... naaah.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 10-17-2005 at 09:46 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Mandriva is an amazing distro, especially the new one (2006 final)!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    You might want to consider Mepis as well...it's a nice delbin distro made for an easy transition from windows, and has good hardware compatibility. Added bonus, it's both a live and harddrive distro. A little conservative on what's included (they stick to Delbin's "official" list), but that's not always a bad thing
    I meditate diligently every morning. The subject is Life and Love. I quit after three seconds. - Vash