Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: happy june 14th!

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Flag Day - June 14th
    And the History of the Christian Flag

On June 14th, 1777, The United States Officially adopted the Stars and Stripes as the National Flag. In 1885. BJ Cigrand, a schoolteacher, arranged for the pupils in Fredonia, Wisconsin to observe June 14 as 'Flag Birthday'. In 1889 George Balch, a kindergarten teacher in New York City, organized activities to celebrate "Flag Day".

Later, his idea of observing Flag Day was later adopted by the State Board of Education of New York. On June 14, 1891, the Betsy Ross House in Philadelphia held a Flag Day celebration. Over the years more and more popularity was gained for celebrating Flag day, and finally it was officially established by the Proclamation of President Woodrow Wilson on May 30th, 1916. However, it was not until August 3rd, 1949, that President Truman signed an Act of Congress designating June 14th of each year as National Flag Day. Many communities and organizations now celebrate Flag Day by hanging flags on public buildings and town squares.

For United States Citizens, this is an important patriotic event to remember and celebrate. However, for Christians, there is also a flag to remember. I am sure that many of you have seen it at the front of churches and chapels.

The Christian Flag was conceived at Brighton Chapel, Coney Island, New York, on Sunday, September 26, 1897. A distinguished speaker was to have spoken there that day, but for some reason did not show up. Charles C. Overton, the Superintendent ad-libbed a short homily discussing the American Flag and its symbolism., as there was one standing near the alter. As Overton was speaking he thought - "Why not also a Christian flag?" He then proceeded to discuss what a Christian Flag could look like, and later designed the Flag as seen to the right.

So, while we are paying respect to the Flag of the United States, or to the flag of your respective country, let us also remember the Christian Flag, and what it symbolizes for Christians around the World.

sores: http://christianteens.about.com/od/h.../a/flagday.htm

congrats and happy birthday to the most loved and hated image in the world!
    Last edited by GepperRankins; 06-14-2005 at 12:19 AM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Happy congratulations

3. Lounge   -   #3
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    i think

4. Lounge   -   #4
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    g0t pr0n?
    Last edited by S!X; 06-14-2005 at 12:27 AM.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    i dont want to read above it has christian...no offense..... and mostly its long

6. Lounge   -   #6
    christians sux

7. Lounge   -   #7
    If it wasn't for these date threads - i would have no clue why,when,what & whoa

Last edited by 99%; 06-14-2005 at 10:09 AM.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I'm in a shitty mood today. Nothing to do with the flag day, my serotonin levels must be low or something.

I'm so glad of these threads, they kinda polarise my attitude until tomorrow.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    burn america burn!

10. Lounge   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Many communities and organizations now celebrate Flag Day by hanging flags on public buildings and town squares.
    Why don't they have a Bush day?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast