Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which v card?

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    If you read my other post you might know I'm shopping for a decent graphic card, problem is I don't know anything about them so any advice on what to get would be appreciated I'm looking for something in the £100-£200 bracket as my budget. so let me know if you've spotted any good deals.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    The 6600GTs are nice, with 256 megs of RAM (preferably) and pixel shader 3 (for future-proofing). They are relatively easy on the psu, cheap, and still decent performers.

As brands go, I like Gainward. Naturally it isn't the only good brand, but it's my favourite atm.

Plain 6800s or 6800LE are good too.

You can even get a Gainward 6800GT with 256 megs of RAM for just above £200 here and it prolly isn't the cheapest uk-site there is, either.

If you feel like going with ATi the x800SEs are in your range, as are the x700s.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-16-2005 at 11:36 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Dark Steno's Avatar lol fang tan
    6600GT with SLi...
    Yours Sincerely,

Dark Steno @ Maskawaih

| manker FTW too! Awesome and superior being ^_^! |

| Maskawaih.com |My DeviantArt|

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    How confusing can it get I started drifting towards the ati's then back to the nvidia cards every time I read a review I was put off buying it seems that even though the cards have the same basic chip a lot can depend on the maker of the card I was convinced to get the 6800gt then I read this....
    Nvidia is recommending a 480W power supply, which is almost enough to run a small country. SFF cases don't have the power and most towers won't be shipped with such a meaty power supply. This could scupper some of Nvidia's sales.
    What a minefield

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    You should probably check on the date of articles like that, they are probably about a year old when the 6800s were in pre-release. The power consumption figures have been dramatically revised since then.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    While that review was written by an ignoramus- a lot of sff machines (shuttle or iWill, for instance) can run a 6800GT card, by virtue of having excellent psus (even though they might be specced at as low as 250w) and somewhat less power-demanding motherboards- I wouldn't recommend less than a 400w supply from a good brand (for example Fortron or Antec) if you don't have one of the aforementioned machines. You'll do all right with a good psu @300(possibly)-350w(definitely) and a 6600gt or x700, though.

In fact, you should really consider getting a good psu anyway, if you don't have one already.

Having a bad one die on you can be expensive.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    As it happens m8 that link for the 6800gt prolly is the best price at the minute for that card, I've searched all I know for about 4 hours and no1's beat it yet, I am fancying this card but the bulkiness of the fan case unnerves me I've came up with some posts about ppl having to modify it to get it to fit thier board. I hav'nt came up with any concerning my asus a7n8x-e deluxe so Im tempted to purchase, I guess I'll have to take a chance on my psu for anyway £215 is the best price upto now.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Saw this today, the new Geforce 7800 . only $500 TO $600 american ?
    Ouch !

http://news.zdnet.com/Nvidia+graphic...&subj=technews

I like this quote :

"Whatever the price, this is not going to be an inexpensive board," Peddie said, noting that traditionally, Nvidia customers are 17- to 35-year-old males with disposable income. "I don't think people realize how delighted these guys are whenever a new graphics chip comes out...the first thing that they do is try to get the PC to go faster and the second thing they do is make the graphics look better."

Does that describe most of us ?
    Last edited by peat moss; 06-15-2005 at 11:57 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    it does tonights anyway.
    the first thing that they do is try to get the PC to go faster and the second thing they do is make the graphics look better."
    The next thing I usually do is a reformat

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Saw this today, the new Geforce 7800 . only $500 TO $600 american ?
    Ouch !

http://news.zdnet.com/Nvidia+graphic...&subj=technews

I like this quote :

"Whatever the price, this is not going to be an inexpensive board," Peddie said, noting that traditionally, Nvidia customers are 17- to 35-year-old males with disposable income. "I don't think people realize how delighted these guys are whenever a new graphics chip comes out...the first thing that they do is try to get the PC to go faster and the second thing they do is make the graphics look better."

The 7800s seem brilliant, but I wouldn't buy one for a long time yet, 'cos of the price, and the allegedly massive power-drain

I wonder if there'll be an agp version at all
    Some say the 6000 series was as good as it gets for agp.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-16-2005 at 11:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast