Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Things

I am by no means one of the deeper thinkers on this board. Nor am I as well informed as some.

But I have been wondering these last few weeks. People have been refering to many Iraqi's smiling as the coalition forces come to them. They have used this as further proof that what we are doing is right and that the population there is eager to welcome us in thanks for freeing them.

But I have been wondering to myself. How would I react to an invading force that has already attacked us in the past and is so obviously more powerfull then my own country? I mean, by experiance, I know that they are gonna win in the end and I have nothing to gain but my possible death for interfearing.
    Would I react in anger or would I be smiling my best knowing that these people who are surrounding me with tanks and guns are gonna be deciding my future for me?

The other thing I have been thinking about is this. Will Saddam win this fight against America?
    I know he will most likely die at the end of this(and may already be dead), but will he win in the end?

So far, all the weapons of mass destruction we have accused him of having as an excuse to attack, have not been found. Just as Saddam said.
    Will this end with America losing more in the end then a war with Iraq? Will people overlook the fact that the reason we went to war wasn't realized in the end? Or will everyone really begin to be anti American giving Saddam the final victory?

Just curious what others think on this
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    1. They are smiling, and I don't think anyone could fake such happiness. If they had any love for Sadam, they wouldn't have tore down the statue, and defaced the paintings. So, I dont' think they are faking.

2. They found missle which had supposedly had chemicle weapons attatched to them. Even if we don't find any weapons, we still did good. I was completely against this war....until now. Before, every single reason people gave me wasn't good enough. They don't have chemical weapons, this won't stop future terrorist attacks, and they are suppressed, but it isn't in our right/responsibility to stop that. Now I'm glad the war happened. They still probably don't have chemical weapons, and even if they do, who cares. This still won't stop future terrorist attacks, but who cares. There now is an entire countrly liberated, experiencing freedom most of them have never seen. That is what really mattered. So, Sadam still lost.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    ClubDiggler's Avatar Poster
    To me the happy Iraqi Civilians is enough reason for the coalition
    involvement. I wonder what the other nations who oposed this
    liberation are going to say about it. I don't think monsieur Chirac
    will get the Nobel prize nomination anymore. Today many Iraqi people
    in Baghdad showed their appreciation for American troops by holding the
    american flag up in the air and saying Bush is a hero (I almost fell of my chair)

I think for all of you opposers to the coalition;

Your oppinion does not count one tenth as much as an Iraqi person living
    there.

Their opinion is the one that should be heard.

And they are starting to voice it now with their actions!!!

Long live the Coalition

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Originally posted by tracydani@9 April 2003 - 16:36
    I am by no means one of the deeper thinkers on this board. Nor am I as well informed as some.

But I have been wondering these last few weeks. People have been refering to many Iraqi's smiling as the coalition forces come to them. They have used this as further proof that what we are doing is right and that the population there is eager to welcome us in thanks for freeing them.

But I have been wondering to myself. How would I react to an invading force that has already attacked us in the past and is so obviously more powerfull then my own country? I mean, by experiance, I know that they are gonna win in the end and I have nothing to gain but my possible death for interfearing.
    Would I react in anger or would I be smiling my best knowing that these people who are surrounding me with tanks and guns are gonna be deciding my future for me?

The other thing I have been thinking about is this. Will Saddam win this fight against America?
    I know he will most likely die at the end of this(and may already be dead), but will he win in the end?

So far, all the weapons of mass destruction we have accused him of having as an excuse to attack, have not been found. Just as Saddam said.
    Will this end with America losing more in the end then a war with Iraq? Will people overlook the fact that the reason we went to war wasn't realized in the end? Or will everyone really begin to be anti American giving Saddam the final victory?

I don't know, Tracy...When we invaded Iraq,

who defended the Iraqi citizens?

Who attacked the Iraqi citizens?

I think when you look at it in that respect, there is really no question what the reality was here.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    you have to remember that not all iraqis are happy. what about the ones who lost their families? or the ones who just dont like being invaded? many iraqis are not happy. this will both increase and decrease the popularity of the united states in iraq.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by Z@9 April 2003 - 19:32
    you have to remember that not all iraqis are happy. what about the ones who lost their families? or the ones who just dont like being invaded? many iraqis are not happy. this will both increase and decrease the popularity of the united states in iraq.
    Based on what traspired during this war, and on what several Iraqi's said about the regime in an interview the day before the war started, These people were oppressed, tortured and murdered before we came in.
    But there was no hope then.
    Maybe you've been reading different history books, but what I've been reading about that culture in texts dating back to the middle ages and Marco Polo, is that the ruling class is barbaric having no regard for it's citizens.
    Most of the rest of the world has been moving beyond that legacy.
    Even Russia has joined the rest of the world in our quest for equal treatment of all mankind.
    Except for a few countries in the Middle East.
    I have seen nothing from this war to convince me that assessment is not still true.

I have seen much though to convince me that it is still true.

I'm still waiting to hear Iraqis say they are unhappy with these events.
    I haven't yet.

We took great care to cause as few civilian cassualties as possible.
    The Iraqi Army, the people who should have been fighting to protect the civilians, caused as many cassualties as they could.
    Or stood the civs up between them and our troops in the dead of night while they took pot shots at our men.

You think the citizens of Iraq are sorry to see the regime fall?

The Iraqi citizens have something now that they did not have before this war.

Hope.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    The only thing Sadam wins is a hole to go hide in.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    ClubDiggler's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Z@10 April 2003 - 01:32
    Sure, some Iraqis lost loved ones; but if it wasn't for the coalitions'
    intervention it is safe to say a lot more would.

The US is not invading Iraq.

Dictionary: "Invasion: 1 : an act of invading; especially : incursion of an army for conquest or plunder"

I don't think the US is conquering or plundering, looting or taking their goods in any way.

Bingo again some Iraqis are not happy.... Saddam Hussain is one of them.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Originally posted by ne1GotZardoz+9 April 2003 - 21:57--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ne1GotZardoz @ 9 April 2003 - 21:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Z@9 April 2003 - 19:32
    Based on what traspired during this war, and on what several Iraqi&#39;s said about the regime in an interview the day before the war started, These people were oppressed, tortured and murdered before we came in.
    But there was no hope then.
    Maybe you&#39;ve been reading different history books, but what I&#39;ve been reading about that culture in texts dating back to the middle ages and Marco Polo, is that the ruling class is barbaric having no regard for it&#39;s citizens.
    Most of the rest of the world has been moving beyond that legacy.
    Even Russia has joined the rest of the world in our quest for equal treatment of all mankind.
    Except for a few countries in the Middle East.
    I have seen nothing from this war to convince me that assessment is not still true.

I have seen much though to convince me that it is still true.

I&#39;m still waiting to hear Iraqis say they are unhappy with these events.
    I haven&#39;t yet.

We took great care to cause as few civilian cassualties as possible.
    The Iraqi Army, the people who should have been fighting to protect the civilians, caused as many cassualties as they could.
    Or stood the civs up between them and our troops in the dead of night while they took pot shots at our men.

You think the citizens of Iraq are sorry to see the regime fall?

The Iraqi citizens have something now that they did not have before this war.

Hope. [/b][/quote]
    look. i know the iraqis have been oppressed, murdered, and such by saddam, and yes, lots are happy that he is now gone (most). all i was saying was that there are still those who hate the US and wouldnt change that forever. the only thing u see on the news is people praising the US. obviously. it is our news for hells sake.

ok, now how can u say we took careful not to kill civilians? we obviously didnt kill them on purpose, but over 1000 were killed. and thats the US&#39;s count&#33; the iraqi army was not defending its citizens, and nor were they trying to. saddam obviously doesnt care about them. his army doesnt either. he does have loyals you know (soldiers in baghdad). and the battle in baghdad went much quicker than i thought it would. good.

of course the iraqi citizens are happy to see the regime fall, but how many people had to die to get it? yes, many would have died anyways under saddam, but think about everybody, not just the people they show on the news.

of course everyone wants to say that the only reason this was done was to liberate iraq, but do u really think bush cares about the iraqi citizens? seriously? i think this was good, but too many people died, and not everyone is happy that it happened.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Originally posted by ne1GotZardoz+10 April 2003 - 00:28--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ne1GotZardoz @ 10 April 2003 - 00:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--tracydani@9 April 2003 - 16:36

But I have been wondering these last few weeks.&nbsp; People have been refering to many Iraqi&#39;s smiling as the coalition forces come to them.&nbsp; They have used this as further proof that what we are doing is right and that the population there is eager to welcome us in thanks for freeing them.

But I have been wondering to myself.&nbsp; How would I react to an invading force that has already attacked us in the past and is so obviously more powerfull then my own country?&nbsp; I mean, by experiance, I know that they are gonna win in the end and I have nothing to gain but my possible death for interfearing.

The other thing I have been thinking about is this.&nbsp; Will Saddam win this fight against America?

So far, all the weapons of mass destruction we have accused him of having as an excuse to attack, have not been found.&nbsp; Just as Saddam said.
    Will this end with America losing more in the end then a war with Iraq?&nbsp; Will people overlook the fact that the reason we went to war wasn&#39;t realized in the end?&nbsp; Or will everyone really begin to be anti American giving Saddam the final victory?

I don&#39;t know, Tracy...When we invaded Iraq,

who defended the Iraqi citizens?

Who attacked the Iraqi citizens?

I think when you look at it in that respect, there is really no question what the reality was here. [/b][/quote]
    Speaking of such nobel pursuit, when are we gonna see some US invovlement in Congo where 1000 innocent people were massacured....
    my guess would be the day they found 200 trillion tonnes of oil under Congolian soil.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast