maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    building laptops? is that a good idea?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    what type of cpu should i be looking at then

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Quote Originally Posted by maebach
    building laptops? is that a good idea?
    his son is having me building him a DESKTOP...i guess I should have been more clear on that lol
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ready1
    what type of cpu should i be looking at then

Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    I think it comes down to how much are you willing to spend.
    Read.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Yes and I would have thought a 2.4ghz celeron would have been fine until told above that it's not, hence asking for a starting point with the cpu. I've already mentioned above that I would like to keep costs down, and the uses for the laptop, obviously laptop cpu's come in a few different types ie from looking around i've seen stuff like,
    IntelŪ PentiumŪ M Processor (CentrinoTM)
    730 / 740 / 750 / 760 / 770
    The Genuine Multimedia World IntelŪ PentiumŪ M Processor (CentrinoTM)
    730 / 740 / 750 / 760 / 770
    IntelŪ PentiumŪ M Processor up to 1.7GHz
    IntelŪ Mobile PentiumŪ M Processor up to 1.7GHz

Clearly it's not as simple as More Megahertz = More Money = More Performance, so if the best advice you can offer is 2 disconnected quotes with a one word post, then do me a favour and next time you see this thread don't bother looking in.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    I have found that if the laptop and the router are on different floors it fucks up the signal bad

I had my laptop right above the router, the router was in the basement and the laptop was on the first floor, and i was only getting 20% signal strengt

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanuk
    I have found that if the laptop and the router are on different floors it fucks up the signal bad

I had my laptop right above the router, the router was in the basement and the laptop was on the first floor, and i was only getting 20% signal strengt
    That usually happens if you are on a different floor and just on opposite sides of a wall.
    Code:
        ║pc
    ════╬════
        ║
       R║
    The signal will go through a few inches of wall, or a few inches of floor, with no problem. But with the double wall/floor scenario the acute angle effectively means that the signal has to go through several feet of wall material.

Code:
        ║  pc
    ════╬════
        ║
     R  ║
    Just moving the router and the pc a small amount can have a dramatic effect on signal levels.

Ideally your router (or other Wireless Access Point) should be in the middle of the room so that the chance of this happening is minimized no matter where you position your pc, but that's rarely possible. Instead, it is a good idea to place the router next to an outside wall so that you will never be just the other side of that wall (unless you happen to like using your laptop while hanging out of the window ).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    eh my computer is pulled out from under my desk for it to work =( if i put it under i get disconnected so badly =( signal is constantly at 2 though but it just doesnt work, plus the computer with the router lags so bad now =( its not fast anymore, and for notebooks www.notebookreview.com

=============================
    =........= bath=..........TV= CL=MY COMPUTER
    =......R=M...../...........====
    =........=......=.........../
    =........======..........===========
    =........=FridgeMicro
    =
    ====================

my cheap sketch of router to computer w/ interferences
    R = router
    M = metal cabinent
    CL = closet
    Last edited by ooo; 06-23-2005 at 02:46 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul814
    eh my computer is pulled out from under my desk for it to work =( if i put it under i get disconnected so badly =( signal is constantly at 2 though but it just doesnt work, plus the computer with the router lags so bad now =( its not fast anymore, and for notebooks www.notebookreview.com

=......R=M...../...........====
    =........======..........===========
    =........=FridgeMicro
    =
    ====================

my cheap sketch of router to computer w/ interferences
    R = router
    M = metal cabinent
    CL = closet
    Looks like you've picked just about the worst possible combination of obstacles between your pc and the router.

The signal has to go through or near 3 walls (absorbs signal), a metal cabinet (absorbs signal a lot) and a tv (interference). I'm surprised it works at all.

=........=M...../...........====
    =......R======..........===========
    =........=FridgeMicro
    =
    ====================

Simply moving your router to this position may help. You've still got the 3 walls, you can't to much about that, but the signal avoids the metal cabinet and the TV.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    yea lol, it works cause i pulled my computer out of my desk and i faced it toward the door so its not going through a wall, well it finds a way around it lol =) i get 2 bars generally and 4 when its really good

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast