Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finalizations

S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    I know, Im getting this stuff in florida.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    lynx's Avatar .
    The mobo I was taking about ($81 cheaper) was the Abit AN8, so you still get the flickering lights.

Or go for the AN8-SLI board, you don't get the ram fans, but you DO get heatpipe cooling on the northbridge chip so there's less heat in the box, 7.1 channel audio (vs 5.1), and still save $21.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    The mobo I was taking about ($81 cheaper) was the Abit AN8, so you still get the flickering lights.

Or go for the AN8-SLI board, you don't get the ram fans, but you DO get heatpipe cooling on the northbridge chip so there's less heat in the box, 7.1 channel audio (vs 5.1), and still save $21.
    oh ya, will I be able to use the X800PRO or X800XL with the SLI setup?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I don't thing any Radeon card supports SLI....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx

oh ya, will I be able to use the X800PRO or X800XL with the SLI setup?
    You can use an x800 in a pci-x slot on that board, if that's what you are asking. You can't, however, run two of them in SLi (like clocker says), if that's what you are asking

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    ya thats what I was asking, I only need one video card for now so I dont think I wanna get an SLI board.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park
    I only need one video card for now so I dont think I wanna get an SLI board.
    But later you might need two?
    Be sure what you are doing here, a second chance will be expensive.

I decided, after looking at ATI and nVidia's roadmaps, that one dual core or next gen card would keep pace with two lesser cards in SLI.
    I also knew that if I had a slot available for the second card I'd go crazy till I filled it, so my decision not to go SLI was partly based on my take on the future and partly on simple economics.

You'd best be absolutely certain how you stand on this...if you're not sure why not just get the DFI SLI LanParty and cover all the bases?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    lynx's Avatar .
    My point was that by going for the SLI board you swap the memory fans for heatpipe cooling on the northbridge, and save $21. You could quite easily rig up a couple of fans for that money, and you've got an SLI board for the future just in case you ever want it. For free. To me, that's a no-brainer.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Alright, Ive been messing around looking at different stuff and playing with prices to see whats suitable. Deciding maybe to get clocker Gigabyte K8N-Ultra9 mobo, 1 GB or ram (need help choosing, corsair perferably..2x512) and the OEM of the seagate 160GB hd I wanted to get originally, It dropped the total cost a few hundred which is really nice. That way I can work a X850XTPE into the picture Heres what ive come up with.

Case
    Motherboard
    DVD Burner
    Harddrive
    Power Supply
    Processor
    Video Card
    Ram

Im also iffy on that video card fitting since its got that beefy cooling on it, and the placement of the Northbridge cooler... Kinda of stupid to have it right infront of the PCI-E slot

EDIT: This is the mobo shown in the pic above, HERE
    Would it be worth getting? Its cheaper the the ABIT SLI board and its got a fan on the NB which I like.
    Last edited by S!X; 06-27-2005 at 01:57 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Why don't you get a quality case that would have a quality power supply?

Or even a quality case without a power supply.

And what's with that expensive unknown brand power supply when you can get something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103937 for $50 less.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast