Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About the Swastica image on sigs etc.

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Re Afro's sig.

I find mankur offensive, can she be deleted.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    As rule 5 says, sigs must not be offensive in nature. There's a big difference between someone having a personal dislike for a sig and therefore being offended, and the sig itself being generally offensive.

So cheese being offended by Chelsea sigs wouldn't meet the criteria (but probably should ), but I agree that some other things may do. So just having someone complain isn't in itself going to get a sig removed.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    afro, can we use this thread to discuss the signatures in question?

I didn't report it, however I agree with it's removal. I also think those who used the image did it for shock effect, which was rather pathetic.

I think it is grossly insensitive to use certain images as a source of amusement.

I believe that images which promote or trivialize bigotry, racism or anti-semitism should be removed.

I am all for free speech. That includes my right to object when others say things which I totally disagree with or find distasteful. That seems fair.

i suppose that was a factor but the reasoning was more than just to shock people.

1. i was sticking up for someone who had been threatened for the message in his signature.

2. i suppose the best word is propaganda: the signature suggests that EA are an oppressive, aggressive regime that will pretty much fuck gaming up through it's aims to take-over 95% of the games industry to use as a cashcow.

3. to wind you up. i really can't see how anyone would be offended by it, so i did it to wind you do-gooders up.

it's not just amusement. like i said, it's propaganda.

it doesn't promote or trivialise racism or bigotry. it does the absolute opposite. it plays on stuff like that to get the point across that our oppinions of EA are very negative.

this isn't a freedom of speech zone. i don't mind having the sig removed. i just have trouble working out why you're offended

oh and the "nazi punks fuck off"... i just wanted to see what you'd say

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins

it doesn't promote or trivialise racism or bigotry. it does the absolute opposite. it plays on stuff like that to get the point across that our oppinions of EA are very negative.

It compares aggresive marketing to attempted genocide, how is that not trivializing the suffering and death of millions of people based on their religious beliefs.

The fact that you used it to make a point about computer gaming is even more offensive, fuck sake, you weren't even doing it for something which matters.

You were sticking up for someone, whoop de fucking do. He deserved to be picked on for what was in his sig. So nil points from me for sticking up for him.

Ooh, Dave called me a do-gooder, I'm offended. Think about it idiot, you were sticking up for the poor we lamb who was getting picked on. What would that make you.
    Last edited by JPaul; 06-21-2005 at 10:27 AM.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    oh FFS i've had it up to here with this

they may not be killing people but they do treat their workers badly and tie them in to contracts that will ruin them if they break. they are trying to take over the world, well the gaming world anyway. there are comparisons but that's not so much the point because as cheese pointed out it's a hyperbole. it's pretty obvious unless you're stupid.

i wouldn't have stood up for TC if i didn't agree with him. i would have let it drop by now also if it wasn't for this:
    sorry young fella, nothing against you personally though you should have known better, but gonna get it to fuck
    people shouldn't threaten to give what they can't take
    Last edited by GepperRankins; 06-21-2005 at 10:41 AM.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #16
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp

they may not be killing people but they do treat their workers badly and tie them in to contracts that will ruin them if they break. they are trying to take over the world, well the gaming world anyway. there are comparisons but that's not so much the point because as cheese pointed out it's a hyperbole. it's pretty obvious unless you're stupid.

i wouldn't have stood up for TC if i didn't agree with him. i would have let it drop by now also if it wasn't for this:
    sorry young fella, nothing against you personally though you should have known better, but gonna get it to fuck
    I'd prefer people didn't use the symbol for its negative aspect so as to let those religions who use the symbol for (very) different reasons a chance to "reclaim" it.
    Last edited by MCHeshPants420; 06-21-2005 at 10:48 AM.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #17

they may not be killing people but they do treat their workers badly and tie them in to contracts that will ruin them if they break.
    So that compares to the indiscriminate torture and premeditated murder of millions of men woman and children. The concentration camps and the gas chambers. The stealing of people's homes and assets. The burning of their places of worship.

To say nothing of the Nazis attempting World domination and not just the computer gaming World.

It's the fact that you even think that which is the most offensive thing.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #18
    you're actually putting effort into missing the point aren't you.

did you also put effort into making sure i can't quote your post out of context like you did mine?

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #19
    you're actually putting effort into missing the point aren't you.

did you also put effort into making sure i can't quote your post out of context like you did mine?
    No, I just see the point differently from you.

I find your use of the Swastika, now one of the most despised symbols in the western World, inappropriate. I find your justification for it's use insufficient to negate the offense it causes, to a great many people.

Please feel free to quote my posts in any way you see fit.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #20
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420

I'd prefer people didn't use the symbol for its negative aspect so as to let those religions who use the symbol for (very) different reasons a chance to "reclaim" it.
    I agree.

The Original Meaning

The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.
    It is all down to association. If you want to associate the Swastika with the Nazis then that is your choice. That does not mean that every person has to do the same.

There is far too much 'association' of words resulting in the loss or misuse of their original meanings. The Swastika and Gay are two examples in my lifetime. If you were to play Harry Bellafonte's 'Jamaica Farewell' to a youngster today, what would he think of the line, 'Down the way where the nights are gay'?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast