Thread: router and switch

anyone know the difference between a router and a switch?

thx,
    gildan2020
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Switches work at hardware level, routers work at internet protocol level. Multiport routers effectively have a built-in switch.

Generally, routers provide address translation and aggregating services, and often some sort of firewall. If you have several computers but only one internet address you would need to use a router to provide aggregation. If you have several internet addresses but wish to use a private network you would need a router to provide network address translation (NAT).

If you used a switch to connect your pc's to the internet you would need an internet address for each pc. Also, since a switch can't do address translation or firewalling your own network traffic could be exposed to the internet, which is not a good idea.
    Last edited by lynx; 06-21-2005 at 12:12 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    okay, after reading through ur post, correct me if i'm wrong:
    LAN connected by router = 1 WAN IP
    LAN connected by switch = many WAN IP

since i have only one internet connection at home, can i still use a switch and expect different WAN IPs for each of my comps? all mutually exclusive on the internet?

thx,
    gildan2020
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by gildan2020
    okay, after reading through ur post, correct me if i'm wrong:
    LAN connected by router = 1 WAN IP
    LAN connected by switch = many WAN IP

since i have only one internet connection at home, can i still use a switch and expect different WAN IPs for each of my comps? all mutually exclusive on the internet?

thx,
    gildan2020
    Only if your ISP provides more than 1 WAN IP per connection. Some do, but usually you have to say how many you need and most charge for each additional IP. There's really not much advantage to having a direct IP for each PC, except that a switch is marginally cheaper in the short term. They are still sharing the same line so there's no speed advantage.

I assume you know you need a direct ethernet connection from your ISP or a cable modem which converts directly to ethernet.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.