Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Things To Do In Paris

BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    No I’m not talking about Paris Hilton

Late this summer I’m going to be going to France on vacation and was wondering in anyone here had ever visited there. If so what are some things that I should see while I’m there? Also what’s the weather like there in September?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    No I’m not talking about Paris Hilton

Late this summer I’m going to be going to France on vacation and was wondering in anyone here had ever visited there. If so what are some things that I should see while I’m there? Also what’s the weather like there in September?
    It is along time since I visited Paris. Generally when I visit a famous city, I take the 'tour' bus on the first day see the famous sights. After that I pick out the places I would like to see in more detail. Sadly you can never see all that you want to see. The weather is good in September, not hot. Enjoy your visit.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    Enjoy your trip, I am very jealous.
    Last edited by Tikibonbon; 06-22-2005 at 12:49 AM.
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Surely you can find a better place to go than France?

I'd go to the U.K. in a heartbeat, though I'm not sure they'd have me.
    no you wouldn't. believe me, it sucks. everywhere is infested with chavs and touristy places charge at least double the RRP of everything.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    So you don't mean Paris Texas

this may help

I am afraid my experience of Paris and indeed France in general had more to do with business than vacation so I can't give you any "touristy" advice other than it's probably best to avoid Euro Disney.

Paris is expensive generally and if you choose to eat in the main tourist route cafés you will get the same feeling you get when filling up the car with gas.
    That said if you like Architecture and art then you could be in for a treat.

Have fun buddy

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over

Well to be honest J2 I really could think of better places myself but my sister is paying for the whole trip. She told me that it would be either London are Paris, I had my fingers crossed it would be London, but decided on Pairs.

One thing that I defiantly wanted to do is go to Normandy. I’m not sure how far that is from Paris but its somewhere I defiantly want to go.

I was also wondering if I should pack my George W. Bush 04’ hat. I think that it’d be a hit with the locals and I should blend right in.

@Vid – thanks for that link.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    [QUOTE=BigBank_Hank]
    One thing that I defiantly wanted to do is go to Normandy. I’m not sure how far that is from Paris but its somewhere I defiantly want to go.

I expect it looks quite close on your World Atlas or whatever, but it's probably at least 300 miles:- Normandy is on the North coast of France, Paris is sort of in the middle...

Here's what we did: Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triomphe, The Louvre, Notre Dame are the standard places to see. Also, I'd recommend taking a trip to the Sacre Coeur, up on Montmartre, from there it's not far to the Moulin Rouge, and Montmartre is a really nice part of the city anyway.

If you want a good view of the city at night, don't bother with the Eiffel Tower, take oa trip to the MontParnasse tower instead.

A riverboat trip is nice at night too.

Alternatively, as soon as you get there, get a taxi to Gare De Nord, and catch the Eurostar to Waterloo station, London, England. you'll be here in about 3 hours I think....

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank

Well to be honest J2 I really could think of better places myself but my sister is paying for the whole trip. She told me that it would be either London are Paris, I had my fingers crossed it would be London, but decided on Pairs.

I was also wondering if I should pack my George W. Bush 04’ hat. I think that it’d be a hit with the locals and I should blend right in.

@Vid – thanks for that link.
    France is an absolutely beautiful country, Paris is a wonderful city. I really think it would be lost on the pair of you. On the whole I think you'll definitely enjoy your defiant trip to Normandy far more than your stay in Paris. What with all the war memorabilia, and that.

When in Paris, you could try moaning loudly (in English, naturellement) about the price of petrol/beer/food while passing snidey comments about the fortitude of the Maginot line to passing Parisians.

Alternatively, you could set your prejudices aside, maybe learn a few phrases in French to facilitate matters, marvel at the architecture and study the city dynamics. The specific recommendations already provided in this thread should more than occupy your time there. It's a far more fascinating city than London, for example, and certainly more intriguing than anything that you'll find stateside.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    An American Republican in Paris (sounds like a book) The Bastille is a must, one would have thought. Particularly if you are there near 14th July.

Might see some warmongering memorabilia as well if you're lucky.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    An American Republican in Paris (sounds like a book) The Bastille is a must, one would have thought. Particularly if you are there near 14th July.
    I seem to remember the Bastille was now just a traffic junction with a plaque on the pavement saying this is where it once stood...

Are you directing Hank to go and "play in the traffic"?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast