Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Stealth

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese

Lamsey is Scottish. No-one can understand them. If you heard me speak you would not hear an accent you would just hear the way words are said when you pronounce them properly.
    Not true.

When you say "matter" you actually say "matta".

Nope. I pronounce it "matter". Otherwise I'd sound like a Janner.

2. Movies & TV   -   #102
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Not true.

When you say "matter" you actually say "matta".

Oh cool you sound American then.

"Say" even sounds more like "sie".
    Last edited by Busyman; 08-07-2005 at 06:38 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Movies & TV   -   #103
    Cheese's Avatar Poster

No. I sound middle-class.

4. Movies & TV   -   #104
    No. I sound middle-class.

Interesting, the guy that plays Apollo on Battlestar Galactica is British and does a damn good American accent but Brits usually do our accents..
    .....betta thun wie dou thez.
    Last edited by Busyman; 08-19-2005 at 04:29 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Movies & TV   -   #105
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I know how it was marketed. Everyone in America knows....
    ---
    It came out on Independence Day (we fought for the independence from the British and won it), the 4th of July.
    The movie was dubbed ID4.
    It's a war movie but transfer this patriotism in a fight against aliens.
    ---
    ...so of course patriotism in it. This inane plot, the focus, though was the fight against aliens, not that America is better than anybody, or America saves the world with a phone call ffs. It's fucking marketing.

Film execs love to transfer some real shit to this time period. I wonder if they'll a movie called The 6-Year War or The Civil War and it be about aliens.
    You see other countries weren't the focus in this movie. just a backdrop to show it globally
    ...and they were saved by america, and would have been lost without it.

It's how the story goes. So, as I've been saying, the phonecalls where showing, explicitly, how americans save the world, and like I say, I don't think it was a necessary scene, apart from showing how america saves the world.

So, it was unecessary, and kinda' silly, except as a statement about america coming through.
    ]Exactly, and that nation is The United States and they are the Marine Corps of The United States and a speech is given to that effect.
    However, it's not the same kind of patriotism/america saves the world thing as in ID4.

As we've already established, it ain't america. And it isn't a celebration of american greatness or somesuch.

Just a good movie without any silliness.
    Many times the writer of the original movie signs off on the remake. Sometimes they even get the same director and I really don't see an original made 5 years-ago being released in the movie theater. Also the networks kinda hafta decide what to show....it's there job. People can see any version they want. It's available for rental annnnd cable TV. It's how I saw the original of Vanilla Sky which I kinda liked better (probably because it was simply different) but either way they both sucked.
    I dunno' how often the writer or director of the original has a say in new movie, it's my understanding it's the holder of the rights to the movie that signs off on the deal, and that would be the studio that commissioned the script or something, I think.

The problem with it, anyway, is that, in the process of getting the movie through the whole machinery in Hollywood people end up compromising. What starts off as good intentions and a good story ends up as something else thanks to the people holding the money.

Sure, it's a lucky break for some when it comes to earning money, but the story gets lost. And they'd still be earning some money, those five years ago, if some exec somewhere hadn't decided that the movie wasn't suitable for their audience. It really doesn't need to take five years for a movie to be "discovered".

As for the Returner, I like the cult factor of it, the way people talk and act, and the way the story was written.

And some of the special effects, like the planes, are something you hardly ever get to see outside of animated film.

6. Movies & TV   -   #106
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    ...and they were saved by america, and would have been lost without it.

It's how the story goes. So, as I've been saying, the phonecalls where showing, explicitly, how americans save the world, and like I say, I don't think it was a necessary scene, apart from showing how america saves the world.

So, it was unecessary, and kinda' silly, except as a statement about america coming through.
    Why was it unnecessary? 'Cause The United States made the phone calls? I also had it a little wrong. Randy Quaid (quite obviously) flew a jet not a crop duster (I mixed up his job) and The Prez made the one speech in the movie before going into the final battle....
    Quote Originally Posted by The President in ID4
    Good morning,

In less than an hour aircraft from here will be joined with others from around the world and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind....
    Mankind. That word should have new meaning for all of us today.
    We can no longer be consumed by our petty differences anymore.
    We will be united in our common interests.
    Perhaps it's fate that today is the 4th of July and you will once again be fighting for our freedom..not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution, but from anihilation.
    We're fighting for our right to live...to exist.
    And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday but as the day when the world declared in one voice we will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a fight.
    We're going to live on. We're going to survive.
    Today we celebrate our Independence Day.
    In the middle of the movie at Area 51 they figured out how to fuck the alien shields and used morse code to transmit the plans (to Iraq, among other places) for a worldwide airstrike it. Needless to say, they were, as you say delighted. It seemed mainlt because no one had been talking to each other. Near the end, some Africans were shown against the backdrop of a downship and 2 more foreign places.
    Go those Americans!!!!! They shot down all the ships in the world.
    ]Exactly, and that nation is The United States and they are the Marine Corps of The United States and a speech is given to that effect.
    However, it's not the same kind of patriotism/america saves the world thing as in ID4.

As we've already established, it ain't america. And it isn't a celebration of american greatness or somesuch.
    True, it's just The United States Marine Corps spouting off how great it is to be in the United States Marine Corps.
    Just a good movie without any silliness.
    I know man. Why can't they make war movies without that patriotism shit.
    Many times the writer of the original movie signs off on the remake. Sometimes they even get the same director and I really don't see an original made 5 years-ago being released in the movie theater. Also the networks kinda hafta decide what to show....it's there job. People can see any version they want. It's available for rental annnnd cable TV. It's how I saw the original of Vanilla Sky which I kinda liked better (probably because it was simply different) but either way they both sucked.
    I dunno' how often the writer or director of the original has a say in new movie, it's my understanding it's the holder of the rights to the movie that signs off on the deal, and that would be the studio that commissioned the script or something, I think.

The problem with it, anyway, is that, in the process of getting the movie through the whole machinery in Hollywood people end up compromising. What starts off as good intentions and a good story ends up as something else thanks to the people holding the money.

Sure, it's a lucky break for some when it comes to earning money, but the story gets lost. And they'd still be earning some money, those five years ago, if some exec somewhere hadn't decided that the movie wasn't suitable for their audience. It really doesn't need to take five years for a movie to be "discovered".
    No 'cause the movie came out 5 years ago. If people did or didn't watch it then that's happened. Movies don't get made then sit in a can for 5 years. They are "discovered" usually within a year after they are made. It is called a release. Just 'cause you, SnnY, thinks Amelie is great and maybe some of us over don't has nothing to do with discovery. It's marketing and word-of-mouth. WOM is how I saw The Sixth Sense. The movie flew under my radar commercial wise..as did Frailty.

As for the Returner, I like the cult factor of it, the way people talk and act, and the way the story was written.

And some of the special effects, like the planes, are something you hardly ever get to see outside of animated film.
    I liked it for same reasons. I don't normally see Japanese flicks with good special effects like that but it wasn't unique when looking at it from a worldly scale of sci-fi movies.

It had plot holes too but hell everyone makes movies with flaws.
    Last edited by Busyman; 08-07-2005 at 09:41 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Movies & TV   -   #107
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    For crying out loud, the way the plot is set up, they first hit you with the patriotism, and then they have america save the world, and the rest of the world doesn't have a chance, so it's up to america to save them.

It's how the movie is written, and I don't see how you can argue about that.
    The plot says introduces american characters and the patriotic theme, and then america saves the world. Had they avoided the bits where americans contact the rest of the world and saves it, and just kept the bits in where the saucers are downed, I'd have agreed with you on it being more of a background thing.

But, by making it as they did, they did have america save the (helpless) world, and they did say that america was great.

It's a big-ass ego movie of epic proportions.

As for war movies, with patriotism, when it's the patriotism of the characters in the story that's one thing, but having an entire plot geared up as a patriotic statement makes it another.

That's why the patriotism of the characters in Aliens doesn't matter, but why the patriotism of ID4 makes it a bad story.

Different levels.

As for when movies come out, it is quite possible to release foreign flicks straight away, the companies are well aware of good foreign movies, they can't possible avoid to be, as they've got TVs and DVD players just like the rest of us, and probably good connections to tell them what sells abroad. The only problem is that the people in charge aren't willing to put any money into showing them.

Instead they take their time, 'til they can develop the idea- adapt it to an american audience, or until someone has done the developing for them.

They could have shown it straight away, but instead they muck about with remakes, 'cos they don't reckon people are clever enough to get it or something.

8. Movies & TV   -   #108
    For crying out loud, the way the plot is set up, they first hit you with the patriotism, and then they have america save the world, and the rest of the world doesn't have a chance, so it's up to america to save them.
    First they hit you with patriotism? When? His speech, the name of the movie? What else? The whistlin' dixie during the speech?
    It's how the movie is written, and I don't see how you can argue about that.
    The plot says introduces american characters and the patriotic theme, and then america saves the world. Had they avoided the bits where americans contact the rest of the world and saves it, and just kept the bits in where the saucers are downed, I'd have agreed with you on it being more of a background thing. But, by making it as they did, they did have america save the (helpless) world, and they did say that america was great.
    Oh no doubt there's patriotism. However, you have a problem with it 'cause you're not from here and have an inferiority complex. This is evidenced by the fact that, in the movie, you have a problem with America giving pivotal advice to foreign nations during a time of worldwide crisis.
    "God forbid America help do shit."
    As for war movies, with patriotism, when it's the patriotism of the characters in the story that's one thing, but having an entire plot geared up as a patriotic statement makes it another.
    Really? I thought the plot was aliens attacking earth.
    That's why the patriotism of the characters in Aliens doesn't matter, but why the patriotism of ID4 makes it a bad story.

Different levels.
    It is different levels. In Aliens, The United States Marine Corps didn't have to rally a nation or for that matter their nation or world wasn't attacked.

As for when movies come out, it is quite possible to release foreign flicks straight away, the companies are well aware of good foreign movies, they can't possible avoid to be, as they've got TVs and DVD players just like the rest of us, and probably good connections to tell them what sells abroad. The only problem is that the people in charge aren't willing to put any money into showing them.

Instead they take their time, 'til they can develop the idea- adapt it to an american audience, or until someone has done the developing for them.

They could have shown it straight away, but instead they muck about with remakes, 'cos they don't reckon people are clever enough to get it or something.
    ...or the movie simply sucks and won't make money.

Oh man!!! Don't most American movies come out in other countries..later.

Almost every foreign film that is remade has already come out over here by the time a remake is made soooo WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??!!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Movies & TV   -   #109
    Oh and SnnY, I forgot to add.....

The United States Marine Corps in the movie Aliens are all from the United States Of America....but I'm sure you knew that.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Movies & TV   -   #110
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    ID4 is a vile, repellent, vomit-worthy orgy of Patriotic Shlock appealing to the lowest common denominator. Anyone who argues otherwise is most likely blinded by the red, white and blue that dominates the film or has a hardon for Jeff Goldblum.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 08-19-2005 at 08:10 AM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast