Thread: COMPLETE CD Copy - Exact Burn

Corksil's Avatar AKA Your Mom

Question Mark

Hey all, I have a dead computer, which I recently tried to get going. To do it, it appears that I need an XP (pro) Cd, as that's what I want to put on it. I have downloaded a few, a disc image even, and once burned, they all work fine in the working computer, with the auto-run and all, but in the dead one, I need a working one, like storebought. I have learned that I will need to use the recovery console on the disc, which should auto-run in the dead one, and I can boot from it. I have a line on an original disc, And I'm wondering if there is anything I need to do to make it bootable. Messing with Nero didn't seem to help the other ones, so I don't think that's it. I have Alcohol 120%, The ENTIRE Nero suite, and a few other burning programs. If there is any specific program I will need, please tell me, so I can go get it. Also, is there a specific procedure/step that I am missing to burn the disc? Should I make a disc image then burn it? Please help, thanks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    micolithe's Avatar Painfully average.
    If you have the ISO it should automatically be bootable when you burn it. All Windows CDs should be bootable if they're untampered with.
    Current Favorite Song
    Exodus Damage by John Vanderslice

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Corksil's Avatar AKA Your Mom
    I'm thinking that the one I got was funky, because I can put in a Windows ME original disc from a HP computer, and it runs fine. I think I'm going to run over to my friends house, even though it's like an hour away, and borrow his disc and either try to use it, or make an ISO of it. Thanks for the help, man.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    You can go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and get a working bootdisc-floppy if the xp-disc still has all the necessary files on it.

That way you can boot from a floppy, and still install from the disc you've got.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    You can go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and get a working bootdisc-floppy if the xp-disc still has all the necessary files on it.

That way you can boot from a floppy, and still install from the disc you've got.

That should work, just remember the cd drive is bumped up a letter, E: or F: when you do that . So when you change to cd drive it will be E:\ setup