Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows System Error?

Fire Fox Fan
    Well,

I get home after a long day out, and turn on the P.C - 5 seconds later a blank screen comes up, and it says the WINDOWS SYSTEM FILE is either damaged or missing. And I can't enter my account until its fixed. Now I thought about re-installing windows but that will delete all my My Document files, and there is no way in hell I am gonna do that as I've got all my Graphics, songs, pictures and more there. And only 10% of that is on backup copy.

I went to the local computer dood shop, and told him about my problem and he told me that the only way to fix my computer was to re-install WINDOWS thus erasing my files, and currently I'm not prepared to do that as I don't want to lose any of my files.

I booted up the WINDOWS CD and went to "System Recovery *something*" And tried to recover my files like that but it asked for a FLOPPY. I know what FLOPPY its asking for, its like 6 Windows XP FLOPPYS, I've done this before and the FLOPPYS fixed my WINDOWS Files and I was able to get onto my computer without losing any files.

However I have lost 3 of those 6 FLOPPYS and I need them in order to fix my computer without losing any files. I was wondering if anyone has those floppys? Like just upload them and I'd download them from my friends and put'em onto FLOPPY.

Now, I'm not 100% sure that these floppys will fix my problem, so if anyone else has another solution. PLEASE TELL ME!!!!!!!!!

Furthermore I was wondering if I installed XP again but not over right the Kazuya account (my current account) would it fix that? So I'd be able to go on my P.C. again?

Anyone?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    # If your computer can not boot from a CD-Rom drive then you will need to use a Setup disk set to start the computer with. You can obtain a download which will create a 6 floppy Setup disk set that corresponds to your version of Windows XP from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...eleaseid=33290 Home Edition
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...eleaseid=33291 Pro Edition

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Fire Fox Fan
    Hey, thanks for your reply man!! Really appreciate it. And my computer can boot from a CD ROM but if I boot from the XP disk it will re-install windows which I don't want to happen as it'll erase all My Document files. I'm trying to like fix the System file using those floppys. They will do that right?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    no they simply allow you to get into repair mode
    which is in dos mode so if you know which file is corrupted and which to replace it with you could do it.

If i can't boot i always use this method, and its worked everytime..so far

Start your PC with the 6 XP install disks. which you can get here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en (choose Home or Pro) (its a pain in the ass method-six disks(make sure the floppies are formatted)

Select Repair ® option.
    Go to the DOS prompt.
    Now type "chkdsk /r" (space after Chkdsk without " ")and enter leave it to finish. Now restart by typing "exit" and press enter. It should work.

if it doesn't

Type chkdsk /p /r + enter. When check disk is finished, type fixmbr + enter.

If it doesnt - type "chkdsk /p" and enter. If it finishes. type "fixboot X:" (X being the drive letter windows is installed on, it's usually C, but sometimes it can be a virtual drive like E). Next press enter.

Finally type exit to restart. It should work.
    Good luck

Take your time - this is solvable
    Last edited by 99%; 06-27-2005 at 01:39 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Just do a repair install. You'll lose some little settings. But you'll keep all your documents, music, vids etc.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Fire Fox Fan
    Okay, put the 6 floppys in, get into repair mode by pressing R. Put in my WINDOWS XP CD and jst like look for the windows/system32/system file on the CD and replace it onto my computer.

Then go to the dos prompt and type: "chkdsk /r" without the quotation marks. And it SHOULD repair itself automatically?

Thanks a lot for the help man, really really appreciate it, i owe yah a lot!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    No. Just set your puter to boot from your CDROM. Put your XP install disk in. Reboot. When XP disk boots choose repair install. Have your key ready. Be ready to sit for an hour. Btw this won't work IF you have SP2 on your box but NOT on your disk. So slipsteam (google it).

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Fire Fox Fan
    :s

Right okay, load my XP Disk and click on repair install. When I do that it asks me for a bunch of command prompts and I'm like "huh?" . I think i'll jst boot frm the FLOPPY DISKS, and then shove in the WINDOWS XP Disk inside and replace the damaged file. Is that right yah? BTW 99% When I DL the XP Pro 6 Floppy set it download a self extracting cabnit thing and I can't run that on my school computers. Could you tell me what it does? Does it like extract the files so they like turn into 6 parts so I could put each one on floppy disk?

I apologise for all the questions and hassle I've caused, its jst tht a lot of the files I have on my computer are REALLY important and a lot of my graphics are being used for port folios, and I need the PSD Files of those graphics to prove I've made them or else they won't accept them

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    No. Go into your bios (google how to) set 1st boot option to your optical device i.e. CDROM. Then follow the rest of my above directions.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    You get command promts if you choose recovery console, not repair.
    You must not be doing the right thing, or your disc is fked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast