Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newsgroups: college solution?

lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5

Question Mark

i've been thinking a lot lately about when i go to college this fall. mainly about how i'm going to download all of my shit, now that my internet connection will mostly be out of my control.

i think that newsgroups would be a reasonable source to continue downloading from in college.
    reasons:
    1. my parents will still have the internet at home, and therefore, i'll still have access to their isp's news server.

2. the speed won't be affected by open/blocked ports (out of my control) like when using bittorrent, so i'll have mostly max speeds.

3. it's not an extremely popular form of filesharing, like kazaa, emule, or bittorrent, so it would be marginally safer under the strict college rules on p2p.

anyone see this working in any other way than i imagined?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Looks like a good idea to me....and I'm willingn to bet your gonna be blown away by the speeds you get at college compared to the ones at home.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Retired
    if port 119 isnt blocked it will work
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 06-28-2005 at 06:28 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    Cap your speed a bit though as they might get a little suspicious.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    micolithe's Avatar Painfully average.
    That depends on whether or not he's got friends who are going into Computer Science, and if his college lets those friends have internships helping to run the college computer network.
    Current Favorite Song
    Exodus Damage by John Vanderslice

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    ike: yeah, i didn't think about the fact that it used port 119. well, newsgroups are [known] as a legitimate service, so i figured they wont have a problem with me having access to newsgroups. (wouldn't it rock if the college had their own news server? )

hanz: that would be a good idea, thanks.

micolithe: i am going into computer science.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    I am going into computer science also.
    You should try serving files from the network too (there is software for this purpose - for colleges) - then you can all get 100mbit speeds..

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanz™
    I am going into computer science also.
    You should try serving files from the network too (there is software for this purpose - for colleges) - then you can all get 100mbit speeds..

yep, i think some kids used to do that. i'll have to get in touch with the geek crowd asap when i get there.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Unless your linking through your pc at home I dont think youll be able to use their server as almost all ISP use IP authentication. You could use something like vnc-4.0-x86 if you had to although make sure to install it before you go and your pc will have to be on of course> The other option is to consider a payserver which is simply based on passwords and can be used from anywhere your at...

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    hmm, good point reality. maybe i'll try it on a friends' computer that has a different isp than me. well then, off to shop for some payservers. suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast