Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DVD burner suggestions

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I want to buy one from newegg, but I am not real sure what to look for in a DVD burner (dual layer, 4x, sata, bla bla insert chinese writing here). I can spend up to 90-100 bucks or so for it. Anyone here have a burner or can recommend one of the ones at newegg? I just dont know anything about the best dvd burner. thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you insist on SATA and newegg, it seems your options are a both limited and expensive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

There are other SATA offerings (I believe clocker favours Lite-On if I remember rightly) but it seems newegg don't have them.

Otherwise, I'd go with VB's suggestion.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    NEC3540 or something like that, i got it about a month ago. 400 burns later and not one coaster, amazingly fast and was only £35 ($70)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    If you insist on SATA and newegg, it seems your options are a both limited and expensive:

There are other SATA offerings (I believe clocker favours Lite-On if I remember rightly)
    No, I have the 16x Plextor.
    Dunno who else even makes SATA optical drives besides them.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx

There are other SATA offerings (I believe clocker favours Lite-On if I remember rightly)
    No, I have the 16x Plextor.
    Dunno who else even makes SATA optical drives besides them.
    My mistake.

I thought I had seen one from MSI, but then discovered it is just a combo. :spits:
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    so, is the one that VB recommended as good as say, the $80 dollar ones? I just thought that $47 bucks was a little cheap for a DVD burner, but hell, what do I know, lol. Theres all this dual layer and -R and +R and it confuses me a little when it comes to buying the best hardware. Is the SATA interface much improvment over IDE when it comes to a DVD burner? and is it worth the extra money, or will the one VB pointed out be just as good as the expensive ones? My pc is a 3.3ghz HT 1 gig ram, tho I dont know if that really matters too much. Thanks for all the help guys I just dont know what improvements you get by spending more money or what is complete nonsense and a waste of money.

*EDIT* oh yea, how long on average does it take to burn an AVERAGE sized DVD at 16x?

*EDIT 2* also, how about blank DVD's to use in the burner. There is seemingly hundreds of choices (brands, speeds, etc). Which brand of media plays the best in most (if not all) household DVD players?
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 06-28-2005 at 09:51 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    nec is the best all around burner, you just can't beat it for quailty and price

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Micro, are you really wanting to get a SATA burner? Cuz this 1 is nice for the $

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827152047

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    micolithe's Avatar Painfully average.
    Get a NEC 16x burner. It's really nice and is relatively quiet.
    Current Favorite Song
    Exodus Damage by John Vanderslice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast