Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Supreme and Ultimate Guide for Speeding Up Your Windows OS...

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    ... cool, no probs.. glad it helped

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #22
    hey thanks for the tips. I never knew about the QoS 20% bandwidth thing. Think i might have to update a few PCs at work. I assume the Windows Updates can still download using the bandwidth available, or does by making it 0% result in Windows Updates not being able to download the latest patches?

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #23
    I'm not entirely sure that taking the QoS down to 0% will still allow Windows Update to work. I suggest to lower it gradually, or, alternitavely, download Microsoft updates via the Microsoft website

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #24
    just found this on Microsofts web site

Clarification about the use of QoS in end computers that are running Windows XP
    As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

For more information about the QoS Packet Scheduler, see Windows XP Help. Additional information about Windows 2000 QoS is available in the Windows 2000 technical library.
    Back to the top

Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support
    There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #25
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by dtwilliams
    Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support
    There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.
    That's technically correct, but AFAIK Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) does reserve that 20%, and you have to have BITS available in order to run Windows Update.

In theory it shouldn't be a problem; in practice it can be. QoS is supposed to be to allow your system to report the efficiency of your connection to your network provider, so this sort of use is a complete abuse of the process. With a networked system (ie via a router rather than a directly attached modem) QoS is useless since there is no way for the system to determine what the router to ISP limits are. If you've got a 100mb/s network link to your router then 20% of that is 20mb/s. How many here have that sort of link to their ISP? Not many!

If you don't want it to reserve that bandwidth simply disable QoS completely, or better still uninstall it. It doesn't seem to make any difference to WU as far as I can tell.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #26
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    Stage 1
    Speeding up the loading time of files.
    This tweak will help you speed up the time it takes for a file on your PC to load.
    To do the tweak, do as follows:

Get to the registry (Start>Run>regedit), and navigate to the following folder/"tree": HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlSet / Control / Session Manager / Memory management.
    In there, find the file 'IoPageLockLimit', and if it's not there create it by right lcicking, selecting new, and then DWORD.
    In the value, set it as follows:
    For PC's with 128MB of RAM or less - 8192. For 256MB RAM - 32768, and for 512MB RAM - 65535.
    What about 1GB of RAM? (I'm assuming 131070?)
    Last edited by Nickthestick91; 06-10-2006 at 04:34 AM.

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #27
    131072.. try that

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #28
    hisamrain's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Hey nice job

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #29
    spenz's Avatar Friendly guy BT Rep: +5
    great tried all the tweaks..as of now, and so far no prob yet. Great! tnx and keep it comin!! ^_^

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #30
    ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› BT Rep: +1
    Will these tweaks work in Windows Vista? I just installed last night and I'm hoping to apply them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast