Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what's the point in NFOs

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I think it's something to do with an .nfo file is slightly smaller in kbs than a .txt file - so back in the days of yore, when dial-uppers were concerned about stuff like that, it was decided that .nfo files was the way to go.
    They're just text with a different file extension.
    It's fine in Notepad2 for me. Only time i ever read them is to find a serial or read how to isntall something.
    Peerzy agrees with me so you must be wrong
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    They're just text with a different file extension.
    It's fine in Notepad2 for me. Only time i ever read them is to find a serial or read how to isntall something.

Peerzy > God

Its more to do with how they can be read by FTP sites without a user but the size was also a factor back in ye old days.
    Last edited by Peerzy; 06-30-2005 at 05:31 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yesh!
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Lounge   -   #24
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I use Damn NFO viewer too

5. Lounge   -   #25
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy

Peerzy > God

Its more to do with how they can be read by FTP sites without a user but the size was also a factor back in ye old days.
    They are simply text files with the file extension changed. A text file would be exactly the same size.

However, representing a picture with text and having an external program to interpret it dramatically reduces the data size compared to an image file, which is where I think you are confused.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    manker's Avatar effendi
    If Peerzy is wrong and Gemby catches the bus.

Who the feck is god

7. Lounge   -   #27
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Is there not a difference between the NFO files discussed here and the Microsft NFO files, that are sytems information files.

The NFO extension was added by hackers away back to make their wee text files seem more official. You can shove any extension you want on a file. It does not change the type of file it is. If you add a .exe on to the end of a text file it does not make it an executable file. It still remains a simple text file.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx

Peerzy > God

They are simply text files with the file extension changed. A text file would be exactly the same size.

However, representing a picture with text and having an external program to interpret it dramatically reduces the data size compared to an image file, which is where I think you are confused.

Nien, theres a program that links servers from all over the world to act as one hard drive. Kinda like RAID but from servers all over the world. So when you login to this ftp you do not see 30 100gb hard drive folders you see one hard drive folder with 3TB on it. The script that does this is also programed to search NFO's only not TXTs for infomation (IMBD links and suchy) which is then announce in the ftp IRC channel.

Sure the program can proberly read TXT's but its set to only read NFO's incase groups include a TXT file with something in and the usual NFO file.

So yes they are the same file but because sometimes groups leave a TXT file in the folder advertising a website or torrent sites leave TXT files with hyperlinks to there torrentsite the script is programed to only read .NFO.
    Last edited by Peerzy; 06-30-2005 at 06:45 PM.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Getdiz is free.

It is small.

It does a simple job well.

It is not made by MS.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/getdiz.html - Review and download.

Then isntall it.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx

Nien, theres a program that links servers from all over the world to act as one hard drive. Kinda like RAID but from servers all over the world. So when you login to this ftp you do not see 30 100gb hard drive folders you see one hard drive folder with 3TB on it. The script that does this is also programed to search NFO's only not TXTs for infomation (IMBD links and suchy) which is then announce in the ftp IRC channel.

Sure the program can proberly read TXT's but its set to only read NFO's incase groups include a TXT file with something in and the usual NFO file.

So yes they are the same file but because sometimes groups leave a TXT file in the folder advertising a website or torrent sites leave TXT files with hyperlinks to there torrentsite the script is programed to only read .NFO.
    Yes, I was merely pointing out that it isn't any smaller than a TXT file.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast