Thread: my two cents: xbox 360 vs ps3

slim150's Avatar Poster
    I am writing this to waste time until my stargate episode finishes.. anyways,

I am worried that the Playstation 3 might become a failure and here is why:

I read a recent article on gamespot about how the ps3 might sell for $399, a loss of ~100 per unit to manufacture. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06...s_6128295.html) I know that this is a market strategy to scoop up the market, but xbox 360 is in a pretty good situation here.

Since the xbox 360 is coming out well before the ps3, Microsoft can intially sell for $299 or what they decide to sell it for, and get the hardcore audience at full price. Then as the ps3 debut draws near, they can hit the ps3 with the 1-2 combo (plasma pistol/battle rifle combo as I call it) with a price drop ( say $249) and the release of halo 3. By then the xbox 360 is going to have a nice library of games and have a selection of budget titles too. Meanwhile the ps3 will end up like the psp ( better graphics, but 3 games, and too much $$$)

Anyways, here is the main question I'd like a response from.. (and is another reason I think ps3 will fail) What are some good games that are going to be on the ps3 only that make it worth purchasing? Especially now that Final Fantasy people will now be able to play FFXI on xbox360 AND a MMORGP game like grand theft auto is coming out for 360 as well. Not to mention any new GTA game comes out to xbox eventually. There is no Halo 3 for ps3.. except for maybe a God of War sequel, but I havent heard anything of it.
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

2. Games   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    There was already a thread about this like a day ago.

Why are you trying to make up your mind when you know fuck all about both.

"Hey whats gonna be better, that new Tom Cruise movie that he hasn't filmed yet or the new War movies by that guy that hasn't even got a script yet?"

By the way any 'Trailers' you've seen from either console are properly CGI shit, and not real gameplay videos, remember the PS2 first videos, they showed massive CGU battles and stuff that looks like it came form a $100 million movie but the in-game graphics on a real PS2 game are shit.
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showp...93&postcount=2

Quote Originally Posted by kazaaman
    Damit Peerzy, i was just asking a question, gettin all pissed off and shit. wtf is wrong with u eh?

Damn man chill JEEZ
    Well Mr Shouldn't Have Asked A Question But Searched Insted i was just saying theres no real need for a thread like this, theres no proof that either is going to be better.

Basically all your going to get is people giving reasons for it being better based on its name (PS3 is gonna rawk cause PS2 did) or based on some specs that could change before its released.
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showp...34&postcount=9

Quote Originally Posted by ashen3
    just shows in the KillZone 2 Trailer
    Which was made on a PC and has nothing to do with a PS2, if you had read earlyer posts you would know that the trailer was nt gameplay footage and just some pre rendered CGI cutscene. The PS3 could not play games at that graphical quality without a very bad lose of frames per second.

Thats like going to watch an animated cartoon and saying the acting was very good, because there was no acting, like the demo was not a demo.
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showp...9&postcount=15

Source?

Cause like everyone in this thread your making guesses on the company names.

Oh i like the PS2 so the PS3 is gonna be good.
    May i remind you of the Mega Drive, the most popular console by a long way of its time and then there was the Saturn and then the Dreamcast (which should have should have done well if the PS2 hadn't come out right went it was starting to pick up support.

ps3 will haeve way better games, than xbox360...who cares about online play
    Yup, cause PS2 does then the PS3 must have better games. Like the N64, all those classic games, Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Mario 64, Perfect Dark, Zelda and then the Gamecube, which was a cardbored box painted purple with a handle
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showp...8&postcount=24

Theres already been about 10 threads on this (you could have searched insted of starting a new one) and all they account for is fan boys flames, why do people need to discuss something they know fuck all about? TBH no one should even bother start discussing them till we get some decent real gameplay footage or a press release.
    Last edited by Peerzy; 06-30-2005 at 01:46 AM.

3. Games   -   #3
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanuk
    He wanted his own thread
    ya exactly...I wanted some feedback on my thoughts, or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

But speaking of time wasters, that other guy sure wasted alot of time trying to make me look dumb. (by making himself look like a jerk) Actually now that I take a moment to see who actually said that, I think I've had problems with him before. He reminds me of Nick Burns from that old SNL skit.

And one final note, I wasn't posting about comparing graphics and processing power. I was talking about a business standpoint. I don't think ps3 is going to be able to cope with the losses it takes.
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

4. Games   -   #4
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Honestly i've been pissed at sony over the past few years, because of their marketing techniques. Although i was a ps2 fan-boy, i really didnt like the fact they proposed censorship in their games. They required that BMX XXX be censored, this truly showed how "fascist or right-winged", in making decisions for their adult gamers, if you know what i mean. Another thing i dont like about sony is the fact they dont encourage/allow other companies to create ps2 hard ware for them (except controllers). e.g. microsoft allow other companies like hitachi and samsung make the xbox dvd drive, while sony forces us to use their shitty dvd drives and shoddy hardware like the 22$ memory card....

Anyway, im seriously thinking of getting xbox 360 (i dont have xbox 1) because it looks like xbox right now is really starting to have great 3rd party games and begining to get better in 1st party game line up.
    Last edited by Formula1; 06-30-2005 at 04:36 AM.

5. Games   -   #5
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by slim150

I read a recent article on gamespot about how the ps3 might sell for $399, a loss of ~100 per unit to manufacture. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06...s_6128295.html) I know that this is a market strategy to scoop up the market, but xbox 360 is in a pretty good situation here.

Since the xbox 360 is coming out well before the ps3, Microsoft can intially sell for $299 or what they decide to sell it for, and get the hardcore audience at full price. Then as the ps3 debut draws near, they can hit the ps3 with the 1-2 combo (plasma pistol/battle rifle combo as I call it) with a price drop ( say $249) and the release of halo 3. By then the xbox 360 is going to have a nice library of games and have a selection of budget titles too. Meanwhile the ps3 will end up like the psp ( better graphics, but 3 games, and too much $$$)

Anyways, here is the main question I'd like a response from.. (and is another reason I think ps3 will fail) What are some good games that are going to be on the ps3 only that make it worth purchasing? Especially now that Final Fantasy people will now be able to play FFXI on xbox360 AND a MMORGP game like grand theft auto is coming out for 360 as well. Not to mention any new GTA game comes out to xbox eventually. There is no Halo 3 for ps3.. except for maybe a God of War sequel, but I havent heard anything of it.
    You make some very good points. If MS has a $150 difference, Halo 3, and maybe one more good game ready for PS3 launch then Sony would have problems at start-up

However you forget that Sony has more great exclusives to win folks over which is MS's Achilles' heel.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Games   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanuk
    He wanted his own thread
    But speaking of time wasters, that other guy sure wasted alot of time trying to make me look dumb. (by making himself look like a jerk) Actually now that I take a moment to see who actually said that, I think I've had problems with him before. He reminds me of Nick Burns from that old SNL skit.
    Are you refering to me? If so this thread is a whole waste of time, we've had 20 threads about this topic in the last 2 weeks and its stupid just people saying;

HA HA LOLZZZ PS3>XBOXSUX0rs!!!11

And so on, what i posted is what i have said in the many previous threads.

Infact the one before this was the first topic on page 2 and had a last post of only a few days ago.

7. Games   -   #7
    scribblec's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

You make some very good points. If MS has a $150 difference, Halo 3, and maybe one more good game ready for PS3 launch then Sony would have problems at start-up

However you forget that Sony has more great exclusives to win folks over which is MS's Achilles' heel.

the thing about these "exclusives" is the fact they are not very exclusive at all... pes 4, metal gear, gta, ssx series, final fantasy etc. are all coming out on other consoles which defeats the purpose of even owning a ps2 anymore when u can play all these games on a better graphically console.

the only game i can think of which is brilliant which no other console has is gran turismo but this game alone cannot warrant buying the next gen console.

fuck that i might as well buy a revolution and an xbox 360 and wait for the good games on ps3 to come out to the xbox while i play those brilliant multiplayer games on nintendo

i own a ps2 btw so this is pretty much an unbiased opinion

8. Games   -   #8
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by scribblec
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

the thing about these "exclusives" is the fact they are not very exclusive at all... pes 4, metal gear, gta, ssx series, final fantasy etc. are all coming out on other consoles which defeats the purpose of even owning a ps2 anymore when u can play all these games on a better graphically console.

the only game i can think of which is brilliant which no other console has is gran turismo but this game alone cannot warrant buying the next gen console.

fuck that i might as well buy a revolution and an xbox 360 and wait for the good games on ps3 to come out to the xbox while i play those brilliant multiplayer games on nintendo

i own a ps2 btw so this is pretty much an unbiased opinion

it would be pretty cool if we could get a revolution and xbox360 for the price of a ps3. I am anxious to see it's controller too.

9. Games   -   #9
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    sticky thread pleae for PS3 and XBOX 360 talk

10. Games   -   #10
    I think the Xbox 360 has the upper hand against the PS3. The X360 already has at least a half year jump on the game, and sources are saying that the PS3's Cell Processor isn't as exciting as Sony makes it out to be. Apparently the multi-core processor shows little boost in speed or power. It seems like the power of multiple small cores seems to do the same job as one big core, except with added redundency.

The hardware structure also factors in. The PS3's CPU and GPU are very independant, which means they are definitely more powerful. The X360's CPU and GPU lean on each other to function well. While this means a weaker GPU, the data pipeline is shorter, which boosts efficiency.

In short, I think the X360 and the PS3 will weild just about the same power, but the X360 will have an early start as well as a lower pricing (which may or may not be true).

I wish I could find the original article, but it was taken down due to being slashdotted. Clips of it can be found in this forum post.

http://penny-arcade.com/forums/viewt...e73d8a564dc572

My money is still on the Revolution, though. It seems to be attracting a lot of 3rd party support this time around (apparently it will be very cost effective to program for the Revolution). Even then, I trust Nintendo's judgement on these things (during the last fiscal quarter, Nintendo has made twice as much profit as Sony's gaming department, and the Xbox lost as much as Sony gained).