Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus tech support screw-up

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face

Angry

I called Asus for help with my mobo. They already have me on file for a mobo problem (bios date resets to 1999). Well, they fixed it and sent the board back to me, only to find that the same error keeps happening. So I called them, and a "tech guy" gets on the phone, and...we go back and forth..he tells me to replace the cmos battery, I did.... TWICE! Then he tells me to update the bios, but I already did that several times. I then proceed to tell him that I have another mobo of the same make and model, and it works fine. HE TELLS ME......"WELL, TAKE THE BIOS CHIP OUT OF THE GOOD BOARD AND PUT IT IN THE BAD ONE AND SEE IF THE ERROR OCCURS AGAIN". I think the retards at ASUS need to finish 7th grade before they are allowed to get a job there. I cant believe that this moron actually told me that!! I told him "piss on you, then that means I void the warranty on both mobo's, I aint doing that!", then he said, "I'll transfer you to a higher level of support" which lead to a voicemail of a tech guy (I guess). I HATE ASUS, and will never buy their shit again. I know they have good products, but damned be to the one who has an issue, cuz you wont get it resolved. This issue is now 1 year 4 months old, and still no resolution. Sorry, this post is mainly just a vent...I am sooo pissed off. But, I can make it qualify for the hardware world thread by asking:
    Does anyone know why my mobo switches back to 1999 in the bios seemingly out of nowhere even after ASUS replaced the cmos chip? Mobo is a P4C800-E deluxe
    It just seems odd that they would ask me to do that, considering the mobo has a 3 year warranty....maybe I should literally "piss on the mobo while I remove the BIOS chip" and that will make it function properly, cuz thats apparently what they do. :cocksuckers:
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 07-01-2005 at 02:08 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    go with DFI or abit next time. Ive found that neither one has tech support issues.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    They want you to hot flash the bios. Tell them to pound sand.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    maybe the battery isnt the problem, but the connectors to the battery are......

does it save settings in the BIOS?

when does the reset occur? after a reset or only if you turn your comp off and on later?

btw, i know things like this can be REALLY annoying, but it may be just a REALLY rare error in the board........ i doubt you'd ever have a problem like this again with a asus mobo...... 2 bad that guy at asus isnt really thinkin right
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I suppose the battery connection could be a problem, but this happens so randomly (like once every 5 or 6 weeks). This problem occurs while the pc is running, everything just locks up, and then programs start crashing, then the screen flashes once, and then the clock in the lower right tray says the correct time, correct month, and correct day, but the year jumps to 10009. I check the bios, and its reset to 1999. I guess windows just freaks out when the bios clock changes while its running, and that would be why windows displays 10009. My biggest problem is the piss-poor advice I get from the so-called "tech guys", like one guys told me "put electrical tape on the stand-offs, cuz maybe the board is shorting out against the case". Now, while this sounds like a viable issue, how would electrical tape solve it, considering you have to put a STEEL screw through it to secure the board to the stand-offs, which effectively makes the tape null. I just dont understand what they get paid for. I could do their jobs because I am perfectly capable of giving canned answers read from a computer screen also. ahh well, the only thing I can do is keep trying until I get someone competent on the phone that will send me a new board, as its readily apparent that I bought a lemon. I am also pissed by the fact that this lemon cost me $210, and it seems that they couldnt care any less if they tried. But hey, look at the bright side, at least the guy who took my call spoke broken english so I could barely understand him, So at least I knew I was "par for the course", lol

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Now that you've detailed it a little more I can tell you that I've seen exactly that problem on other systems, and not related to Asus hardware. I've never found the source of the problem however.

The clock really does get set to the year 10009, but because of bios limitations it appears as 1999 when you view it in the bios.

Windows does NOT normally check the real time clock, but it does update it. So if you see the right date & time when you start up windows but later windows displays the wrong date & time, the incorrect setting has not come from hardware.

Sounds like you've been giving those people at Asus a hard time for no good reason.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I've seen something similar before. Turn off the Windows 'Internet Time' Feature. Double click the clock and select the Internet time tab, remove the checkmark and click ok. I'm not sure if that will solve your problem but at least try it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Now that you've detailed it a little more I can tell you that I've seen exactly that problem on other systems, and not related to Asus hardware. I've never found the source of the problem however.

The clock really does get set to the year 10009, but because of bios limitations it appears as 1999 when you view it in the bios.

Windows does NOT normally check the real time clock, but it does update it. So if you see the right date & time when you start up windows but later windows displays the wrong date & time, the incorrect setting has not come from hardware.

Sounds like you've been giving those people at Asus a hard time for no good reason.
    this just goes to show......... check with the guys on this board before you contact the manufacturer
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    I've seen something similar before. Turn off the Windows 'Internet Time' Feature. Double click the clock and select the Internet time tab, remove the checkmark and click ok. I'm not sure if that will solve your problem but at least try it.
    This sounds very logical.
    Live long and prosper, Micro.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    nope, been there and done that. After 1 year of dealing with this, it has been pretty narrowed down to the mobo. They replaced the cmos chip once, but I think there is something else on the board causing the cmos to fail, possibly the bios chip is bad, but Ill have to wait and see what they come up with when I send it in AGAIN. Hey, three times repairing the same issue qualifies it as a lemon under the law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast