Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Currently Active Users: 159 (37 members and 122 guests)

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas
    My main reason for joining:
    the only way for p2p to win is to educate n00bs on the ins and outs of file sharing, guest or not. there is strength in numbers.
    if the only thing i wanted was to chat with regular members, and make fun of n00bs, i would have been gone long ago.
    Worth of quoting, that. An honourable sentiment.

You'll be aware tho' that there are those among us who stick around simply for the chat. If this was a dry, technical forum - I doubt I'd have hung around much past my initial query.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #42
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    We'll never actually know until we try, tho'. It might just be a good idea
    manker,

we have tried closing to guests and having "guest rooms".

Although i dont know the stats off hand, im sure that the admin have looked at them in deciding which way to go.. especially as the options have all been tried more than once to "test" the stats with google.

Its the admins revenue.. so they must have looked at which way is better closer than i have

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #43
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    We'll never actually know until we try, tho'. It might just be a good idea
    manker,

we have tried closing to guests and having "guest rooms".

Although i dont know the stats off hand, im sure that the admin have looked at them in deciding which way to go.. especially as the options have all been tried more than once to "test" the stats with google.

Its the admins revenue.. so they must have looked at which way is better closer than i have
    Then that information should be made available for us to have a look at. As it stands, it looks like it doesn't exist or Brian would have posted to that effect.

I'm okay at interpreting stats, it would be interesting and would definitely turn conjecture into a definitive.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #44
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    if the only thing i wanted was to chat with regular members, and make fun of n00bs, i would have been gone long ago.
    You'll be aware tho' that there are those among us who stick around simply for the chat. If this was a dry, technical forum - I doubt I'd have hung around much past my initial query.
    yeah i phrased that wrong, i meant: if the only thing i COULD DO was to chat with regular members, and make fun of n00bs, i would have been gone long ago.

or something like that

EDIT: since guest can't play in the arcade, that should be enough to get them to join, there should be a 25 posts required before being able to play in effect, if there isn't
    Last edited by Vargas; 07-02-2005 at 12:28 PM.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #45
    Site Owner
    This is the way I see it.

Leave the forum opened to all. People who want to post will take 2 minutes to sign up. People who only want to read will stay guests, or maybe sign up for the future. Google will be able to index new pages, and people coming from google will not get an obnoxous (You must register) message.

Close the forum to guests, Guests can not see what is discussed, will get disgusted and then go back to google for a search. I thought the file sharing industry was about sharing with others. Why not allow people to read posts here and learn without signing up?

All in all I think leaving it opened to guests is the best way to go. Personally If I search google for something and see I have to register to read the post, I hit the back button and click a different link. On the other hand, if I can read the post as a guest then I stick around, read other posts, get interested in the topic, and usually register to give my opinions.

Brian

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #46
    Filliz's Avatar ______________
    What you could do is limit the permissions for guests by not allowing them to download attachements (e.g:nzb's) and not letting them view/click verified hashes.

Not sure if you can do this without a hack but I think that's no more than fair.

hmm...asspie

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #47
    Retired
    verifieds are hidden for guests.

NZB's will be disabled for guests when that section becomes more active.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #48
    Filliz's Avatar ______________
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    verifieds are hidden for guests.

NZB's will be disabled for guests when that section becomes more active.
    Oh,I thought they had access to the verifieds as well.
    All is good then.

hmm...asspie

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #49
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiecrd1
    This is the way I see it.

Leave the forum opened to all. People who want to post will take 2 minutes to sign up. People who only want to read will stay guests, or maybe sign up for the future. Google will be able to index new pages, and people coming from google will not get an obnoxous (You must register) message.

Close the forum to guests, Guests can not see what is discussed, will get disgusted and then go back to google for a search. I thought the file sharing industry was about sharing with others. Why not allow people to read posts here and learn without signing up?

All in all I think leaving it opened to guests is the best way to go. Personally If I search google for something and see I have to register to read the post, I hit the back button and click a different link. On the other hand, if I can read the post as a guest then I stick around, read other posts, get interested in the topic, and usually register to give my opinions.

Brian
    Yup, we've all presented our anecdotes about what we'd do. Personally I'm of the same opinion. If I see a forum that I have to sign up to in order to see a post, I'll hit back.

That's not what I'm trying to say. I'm trying to show that the issue isn't black and white and what muchspl proposed (which I'm not going to reiterate) is a good idea that will either work well or have no detriment to the forum.

If sign-ups increase on the day where you have to register to see the on-topic areas, keep it that way. If sign-ups decrease or stay the same, then open that day back up to guests.

Can't lose. At least it seems that way to me ... of course, if it's a hassle then don't try.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #50
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    no comprise can come so just close this, you have already made up your mind#

edit

Currently Active Users: 144 (30 members and 114 guests)
    Last edited by muchspl3; 07-02-2005 at 03:48 PM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast