Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Currently Active Users: 159 (37 members and 122 guests)

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl3
    no comprise can come so just close this, you have already made up your mind#

edit

Currently Active Users: 144 (30 members and 114 guests)
    I screenshotted the day we had like 45 members online, 370 guests.
    May 25th.

Lost it tho.

See, that was because elitetorrents was shut down and we were the third hit on google...
    If the forum had been closed to guests then we wouldn't have gotten half as much traffic/signups on that day.

edit: average signups are around 45 per day.
    May 25, 2005 65 signups
    May 26, 2005 66 signups

Not too bad.

edit2: 9 of those members from those 2 days have stuck around to make more than 10 posts. The average numer of users from other days to stick around for 10 posts is 1 or 2.
    Last edited by tesco; 07-02-2005 at 04:21 PM.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #52
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl3
    no comprise can come so just close this, you have already made up your mind#

edit

Currently Active Users: 144 (30 members and 114 guests)
    i screenshotted the day we had like 45 members online, 370 guests.
    Just about a month and a half ago.

Lost it tho.

See, that was because elitetorrents was shut down and we were the third hit on google...
    If the forum had been closed to guests then we wouldn't have gotten half as much traffic/signups on that day.
    If a big torrent site gets closed down by the RIAA on coincidently the same day as non-members cannot see some parts of the forum, then obviously the first mod/admin online should open those sections up to guests

C'mon, have a bit of flexibility in your thinking (not just you, Ross).
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #53
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    i screenshotted the day we had like 45 members online, 370 guests.
    Just about a month and a half ago.

Lost it tho.

If a big torrent site gets closed down by the RIAA on coincidently the same day as non-members cannot see some parts of the forum, then obviously the first mod/admin online should open those sections up to guests

C'mon, have a bit of flexibility in your thinking (not just you, Ross).
    If the forums were closed to guests we wouldn't ahve been that high in teh ranks on google in teh first place.

edit: nvm, i kinda see your point now.
    not sure what the point in it would be tho.
    Last edited by tesco; 07-02-2005 at 04:30 PM.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #54
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Then that information should be made available for us to have a look at. As it stands, it looks like it doesn't exist or Brian would have posted to that effect.
    I wasnt aware that anyone was accountable to you although I guess by your logic it just doesnt exist so we can leave it at that.

We are not the only forum of this type which means if there is a link in Google that is clicked and they arrive at a signup page then most likely they go back and find another and we never had the chance to show them what we have and they are gone that quickly unless they are prone to just signing up at every forum that request them to and most likely posting at none.

Currently we have setup a number of things to get Guests to join

1. You must register to play the Arcade.
    2. As a Guest you can see titles of Verifieds within the sub sections but when you click them you get a message you cannot view the content unless you register which obviosly means you cant get the hash as well. This was a "No Content" VB hack that was installed here which continues to allow Google and to crawl the titles and Guests to see them but hides the content, the best of both. This is great for this section as it seems a good number of Google inquires fall in to those sections.
    3. The NZB section is viewable to Guest including threads but when a Guests clicks on attachment they also get a message to register which is also a section that has many views for the same reasons that the Verifieds section does. This is also the best of both I think.
    4. If a Guest want to tell manker to fk off which is just human nature they are given a message register also.

The fact is also that in a sense Guest take care of server costs while floating around the board and possibly clicking banners and such while most regulars dont for a variety of reasons. Also if its closed Guests they may leave and never have had the intense feeling of meeting manker and being so overwhelmed to tell him to stfu which is the fact of why most Guest register anyway..,.

/me thinks to insert smileys along the way next time so as not to appear so dry perhaps.
    Last edited by RealitY; 07-02-2005 at 06:02 PM.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #55
    Ya, I'm full of it.
    Whoa! As Manker lays on the floor of the ring cloudily pondering his next move Reality has taken the fight to a new level! This VERY entertaining!! The way I see it, there's nothing to gain by closing this forum to guests at any time. In essence, this forum is educational in nature. Most people just lurk and in the process get educated. If they have specific questions they have to join to ask those questions. This separates the casual P2P weekend warrior from the hard core, needing to know more, dedicated P2P'r. I am still in the newb stage and it probably shows in my few posts, but this forum is essential in the whole process of opening doors to the uninformed. If it is closed, even for a day, it is not in the best interests of promoting file sharing.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #56
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by colonblow87
    Whoa! As Manker lays on the floor of the ring cloudily pondering his next move Reality has taken the fight to a new level! This VERY entertaining!! The way I see it, there's nothing to gain by closing this forum to guests at any time. In essence, this forum is educational in nature. Most people just lurk and in the process get educated. If they have specific questions they have to join to ask those questions. This separates the casual P2P weekend warrior from the hard core, needing to know more, dedicated P2P'r. I am still in the newb stage and it probably shows in my few posts, but this forum is essential in the whole process of opening doors to the uninformed. If it is closed, even for a day, it is not in the best interests of promoting file sharing.

Well said , love your member name by the way.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #57
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Like i said before, lock the "Worlds" (hardware, software ect) off from guests, but let them see the rest, so they want to join to get our expert opinions about the subjects.

Or other way around, lock of the lounges and let them only see the worlds.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #58
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    lmao

locking the lounge might encourage more sign ups if they don't see the lounge

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #59
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanuk
    Like i said before, lock the "Worlds" (hardware, software ect) off from guests, but let them see the rest, so they want to join to get our expert opinions about the subjects.

Or other way around, lock of the lounges and let them only see the worlds.

I think it's great how it is now...
    Last edited by tesco; 07-03-2005 at 03:50 AM.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #60
    muchspl3's Avatar muchspl3 > muchspl2
    how about something like this

http://www.megatopics.com/index.php?showforum=162

looks like a great way to gain more sign ups

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast