Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: About Africa...

lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    The immune system is also affected by prolonged exposure to DDT. Aids is now endemic in exactly the same places where widespread use of DDT has continued, and more or less over the same timescale. I wonder what the chances are that there is a link.
    This is precisely the type of statement that a paranoid would go out and commission an investigation to prove "true".

It is commonly called a "conspiracy spore"; it has the nature of a virus, and propagation of such is responsible for entire generations of defective thought processes.
    No, it is called correlation. Things rarely happen on their own, there is often some other factor which gets overlooked. It is common practise that when you can't find the cause for something that you look for something else which is happening at the same time, and check to see if the cause is the same.

Your alternative seems to be "stick your head in the sand, don't look, what you might find will only scare you".

Unfortunately, not looking properly has had some devastating consequences in the past, eg Thalidomide. The "excuse" there was that they didn't know about stereo chemistry. Who is to say that there isn't something else we don't know about. "Not looking" won't find it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    The whole weight of her arguement for DTT is that it's NOT harmful
    Originally Posted by the article
    Nevertheless, contrary to expert testimony that DDT was not harmful to humans, animals or the environment
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    it may well be that she feels the benefits do outweigh the risks, but the point of my post is that she is willing to decide for others but is against others deciding for her when it comes to personal risk assessment.
    she actively opposes any maditory medications for herself and other Americans, yet is fine with spraying this stuff on Africans
    Vid, you're still missing my point. I think you're doing it on purpose, which is a little disappointing.

She says DDT should be used in Africa because she presumably thinks the benefits will outweigh the costs. This doesn't mean she has to qualify the statement by spraying her house with it when she has no need to.

I expect she also thinks that cancer patients should be treated with gamma radiation because the benefits outweigh the risks. Should she book herself in for a 2 month course of chemotherapy now, or do you think that would be a bit silly, like.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Trying to get rid of mosquitos in Africa would be like painting the Forth Bridge. Only you would be required to complete the task quicker and more often. In other words virtually impossible.

The answer IMO is to treat the patient and find a better means of immunity.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

Vid, you're still missing my point. I think you're doing it on purpose, which is a little disappointing.

She says DDT should be used in Africa because she presumably thinks the benefits will outweigh the costs. This doesn't mean she has to qualify the statement by spraying her house with it when she has no need to.

I expect she also thinks that cancer patients should be treated with gamma radiation because the benefits outweigh the risks. Should she book herself in for a 2 month course of chemotherapy now, or do you think that would be a bit silly, like.
    I am not missing your point at all. I posted again because you said she isn't saying DDT has no adverse effects.

I am also sticking with the "she should take the risk herself" stance because, and I repeat, she actively campaigns against ANY MANDATORY MEDICATION. She is against vaccination programmes for the USA. She feels this is government oppression and states that government should not be making choices for what "she or hers put into their bodies" because it is up to the individual to decide on the risk.
    She is not in a malaria risk area but it is possible that she may be in a west nile risk area.

She is making a case that DDT is not harmful to humans...it has no side effects...there is no risk.

so I am not missing your point at all...I am disagreeing with it.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    manker's Avatar effendi

I am not missing your point at all. I posted again because you said she isn't saying DDT has no adverse effects.

I am also sticking with the "she should take the risk herself" stance because, and I repeat, she actively campaigns against ANY MANDATORY MEDICATION. She is against vaccination programmes for the USA. She feels this is government oppression and states that government should not be making choices for what "she or hers put into their bodies" because it is up to the individual to decide on the risk.
    She is not in a malaria risk area but it is possible that she may be in a west nile risk area.

She is making a case that DDT is not harmful to humans...it has no side effects...there is no risk.

so I am not missing your point at all...I am disagreeing with it.
    You can repeat the stuff that doesn't detract what I'm saying all you like, but it's not a very effective debating technique.

She doesn't say that it doesn't have side effects. She said that no study has been able to prove that it does have side effects.

The two are entirely different.

I guess you think commentators should qualify their statements in the manner of John Gummer, else they're not valid.

That is patently ridiculous.
    Last edited by manker; 07-03-2005 at 01:40 PM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Then you are missing what I am saying

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    manker's Avatar effendi
    nvm
    Last edited by manker; 07-03-2005 at 01:59 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I commented on your assertion that Ms. Schlafly should cover her family in DDT.

Which remains ridiculous.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    I commented on your assertion that Ms. Schlafly should cover her family in DDT.

Which remains ridiculous.
    Where did I say she should cover her family with DTT?

If she believes it is a safe product ( and that is exactly what she is saying ) would she be prepared to use it as an insecticide in her own vegetable garden or home? is she prepared to campaign for it's use in the US market? Is she prepared to expose her family to the "non-risk", after all there is according to her "no evidence to prove it is unsafe"
    Last edited by vidcc; 07-03-2005 at 02:13 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Did DDT really wipe out Malaria in N. American and Europe?
    ...Brother Rat sees a profit motive behind the prospect of DDT use...
    Isn't there always a profit motive behind everything that we
    greedy humans do?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast