Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dial up and Bittorrent

m.lawrence's Avatar KazaaLite User
    Hey everyone,

I have a question, but I'll explain a bit first. I have dial up(no cable in my area)and have been using K++ for several years but lately my downloading has been mostly games and I simply seem to have run through everything that is available from fastrack. Nothing new is getting shared except for mostly very large fakes.

So, I downloaded Bit Tornado and it's going o.k., I mean it's obviously gonna take quite awhile to download games a couple of gigs large but I plan to leave it running mostly overnight.

But there is one problem. In Klite, if the Dial up connection was dropped, Klite would say "connecting" and any downloads would say "remotely", all normal. Windows is set to automatically redial in three seconds if the line is dropped and it does, and then Klite would reconnect and the accelerator would kick in,look for more sources, find them and continue downloading.

So, in other words my dial up could have gotten disconnected several times overnight but the downloads would eventually restart and as a result I'd still get my game the next day.

Not so with Bit Tornado. If the line is dropped it won't just pick up after windows reconnects the modem. So, is there a client anyone is aware of that will?

If not, is anyone aware of a client on the eDonkey network that will resume downloads upon detecting an internet connection?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Internet connection drops out several times a night = you need a better ISP :-)
    With bittorrent if your ip changes and you don't inform the tracker i.e reload their web page they don't know your ip address. So maybe try getting you web browser to reload the web page every hour or 2... Or maybe it's another problem.
    let me know how you go.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    I can speak for this man. I am also stuck with dial-up. Personally, I don't download anything that's over 700MB. I stick with music and warez. But if you're a dial-up user, and you want to download a 2+GB game, forget it. You'll save yourself a lot less time saving up money to buy whatever it is your downloading over bittorent, rather than spend the time to download it. But, that's just my opinion.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    yeah when i had dialup i had the same problem, i don't think BT likes people who have a new IP with the same session ID number, i would have to close the client and re-start it to get any good connections
    eMule works well with dialup that reconnects alot
    Last edited by Vargas; 07-06-2005 at 11:52 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    First for you smartarses who say get a new ISP/Broadband/Cable. Your comments aren't helpful. If you can't help then STFU.

@m.lawrence, I've noticed that with some BT clients. Although I have broadband I occasionally have to make VPN connections to do some work. I haven't yet worked out why, but it seems to cause my normal internet connections to drop. I've found that BitComet seems to restore its connections after I've dropped the VPN connection, something which other clients didn't do, so it may be worth trying.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Hey, thanks lynx, I'll check out BitComet then, although if Vargas is correct then I might be a bit screwed with Bittorrent altogether.

I checked out emule last night, specifically the Morph XT client and I don't know, I just don't get it. I mean I search say "Deus Ex Invisible war" and search more until say I get 900 results. Out of those "900" the vast majority are below 100% completion, thus not a good file right? The one's that are at 100% have like 1 or 2 sources and of those many are in(I assume) a foreign language as there are many hits with <file name>Spanish or <filename>German, or what have you. So all in all out of those "900" results I found basically, for all intents and purposes, buttkuss, zip, zero.

So, O.K. I just searched an old game so I plug in the word "game" and wait for the thousands of games I expect to roll into the search window. The vast majority are cracks for games and then lots of files that look like they might be the iso's but below 100% completion. Wtf?

In Klite I can filter out the file sizes that I don't want, like the very large fakes or the very small viruses. I don't know. I guess I just love my Klite too much. I think I'll try BitComet but I'll probably stick with fasttrack until the amount of users drops to one. Or until my Isp runs the infrastructure for high speed into the trees where I live.

I found a rip of GTA Vice City(245Mb) from fasttrack, it looks good, but I don't know yet as I paused it after 180 mbs downloaded. You guys with cable should really be appreciative. Talk to ya later.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Lynx BitComet works! I started downloading and while it was downloading I disconnected my internet connection. The download stopped. I reconnected and it just picked right back up! Fantastic. Now I gotta go look for info on burning iso's as I haven't had to do that yet with the game rips I been getting from fasttrack.

I'm trying Deus ex invisible wars first as it's "only" 1.5 gigs and we'll see how it goes from there. Quite a few seeders and leechers for this particular file as well. Thanks again.
    Last edited by m.lawrence; 07-06-2005 at 09:52 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Just a little point, on emule, even if it says not 100% complete, what that means is that at the time there is no-one with a complete file online.

In my experience, as each file is downloaded in packets and everyone gets different bits, you can often get the whole file anyway. also, the chances are someone will have the whole file by the time you get to that point because although it shows less than 100% complete, someone may be getting the last few % and then will seed.

It doesn't always work like that but mostly it does. I am currently downloading an old film that has one main source and several downloading. This means that if you search it shows 0% complete if the source is not seeding at the time but although its taking a long while, I am nearing completion after weeks of a couple of K here and a couple of K there.

Emule is a patience machine but it automatically corrects errors and I have never had a fake although there are some viruses kicking about.

It is particularly good for old and rare stuff so worth persevering with if you want something specific.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Glad I could help.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Oh, I see Sara. So, it works in effect similarily to the way bittorrent does in that respect. The "non-completed" files are "leechers" who have various parts of the file? So it's not, as I was thinking, that the files that show less than 100% completion are corrupt in some way, but that they are perfectly viable "chunks" that can be downloaded. That makes it different and I'll give it another looksee one day, Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast