Thread: The Incredibles = Stab the Baby

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9932

Tabloid report claims 11 year-old was driven to injure nephew after playing THQ's The Incredibles

The influence of videogames on violent behaviour is back in the news in the UK, with tabloid newspapers reporting that an 11 year-old boy appeared in court yesterday to explain how he was driven to commit a violent act against a baby whose crying had distracted him from playing a PlayStation 2 game.

But for once, Rockstar is not being blamed for the incident - the title in question was not Manhunt or an instalment in the GTA series but THQ's The Incredibles, based on the Disney/Pixar film of the same name.

The boy, who has not been named, told police became frustrated when he kept "dying" in the game while his seven month-old nephew cried in a nearby room. In a fit of rage, he stabbed the baby in the stomach with a knife.

"I was a bit like a volcano. An erupting volcano," the boy said. "I paused the PlayStation. I went to the kitchen and collected the knife. Without realising it, I stabbed him."

At the time of the incident the boy's step-father was sleeping and his mother was visiting a friend.

Ten minutes after stabbing the baby the boy arrived at the friend's house, telling his mother: "I have done something awful. Something really bad has happened to [the baby]."

On returning home, the boy's mother found the baby bleeding in a carry cot. The baby was rushed to hospital for emergency surgery, and remained there for six days.

Gavin Burrell QC said that the stabbing occurred at a time when the family was experiencing a great deal of strain - the boy's sister was in hospital and his mother was caring for her own children along with the baby.

The boy, who had always been "the baby of the family", felt pushed out, and said he "wanted to send it back," his mother told the court.

Prior to the incident the boy was caught playing truant, and told a teacher: "There is a lot going in my head."

Crying, he explained that his family was caring for a baby who was noisy, saying: "The baby is doing my head in." He also told teachers that he was being bullied.

The boy's mother said her son cared for the baby deeply, and saw him more as a brother than a nephew. The boy has seen the baby once since the incident and was said to be happy, kissing his nephew and waving to him.

Burrell told the jury that there was "really no dispute" about the fact that the boy had injured his nephew. "The sole issue here is the extent of the child's mental intention when he stabbed the baby," he said.

The boy denies attempted murder and wounding with intent. The trial continues.

So so very sickening, although this probably has nothing to do with the actual game, it's still messed up.
    Discuss this, what do you think should happen to the boy? Did the game actually influence him or was he just ticked off because of other reasons.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    As a parent I can say that kids can erupt on their siblings over nothing. There may be rage in their heads but generally not cold calculating murder. I can't say for sure that this boy who obviously does feel pushed out and neglected, even if he wasn't in reality, didn't want to harm the baby. I can say I don't think for one moment he was driven to it by the nature of the video game. The game is incidental to the act. He could just as easily have been trying to do his homework and gets frustrated by the noise.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by the guardian
    A boy frustrated because he could not master a game on his Playstation stabbed his seven-month-old nephew in the stomach when the baby would not stop crying, a court heard yesterday.

The boy, who was 11 at the time, cannot be named for legal reasons. He was giving evidence at Hull crown court, where he has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder, wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and wounding. The baby suffered life-threatening injuries, but recovered after surgery.

The boy said he was "a bit mad" because he could not complete The Incredibles game. The court heard that he was being bullied at school, he was worried about his sister and the baby kept screaming.

The boy's sister, who is the baby's mother, was suffering from depression and had been sectioned under the Mental Health Act for her own safety. The baby was being cared for by the baby's grandmother, who had left him with her son while she visited a friend across the road from their home in north-east Lincolnshire last December.

The boy, who is now 12, had told officers: "I kept dying on the Playstation and that made me a bit mad. I only had a bit left to do." The baby, who was in the next room, began "whingeing". He had paused his game and walked into the kitchen and closed the door. He picked up a small kitchen knife and tried to mend a toy that had jammed. While he did so, the baby was screaming.

The boy said: "I walked to the pram and [the baby] was still crying, so without realising, I just stabbed him. The blade came out of the wooden bit. I realised what I had done, so I put it in the room underneath the telly."

He did not know how far he pushed the knife in. He had told the police the baby's eyes went big. "He opened them dead wide like an owl," he said.

He got dressed and checked on the baby, before running to his mother. "I didn't see any blood, there was just this red lump," he said. "I didn't want to do anything to [the baby], but I wasn't thinking."

The court heard that eight pupils at the school, which the boy had only attended for one term, repeatedly told him to shut up.

A forensic scientist, Nicola Taylor, found fatty deposits from the baby on the knife, three to four inches from the tip, but no blood. There was no forensic evidence on the knife that the defendant had stabbed the baby, she said.

The trial continues.
    Quote Originally Posted by the sun
    A BOY of 11 accused of stabbing his baby nephew for distracting him from his PlayStation told a court yesterday of the moment he stuck in the knife.

The lad said the seven-month-old tot’s eyes had opened “big like an owl”.

The youngster admitted he had felt “stressed” because the baby was annoying him while he played a computer game.

Prosecutor Garry Burrell QC asked: “It was the baby crying that made you feel this way, wasn’t it?”

The boy replied: “Yes.”

Mr Burrell then asked: “Even as the knife went in you realised that you were hurting the baby?”

The boy said: “Yes”, but added: “I didn’t want to take it out on the baby.”

The youngster — who cannot be named for legal reasons — sat on a special chair as he gave his evidence yesterday. Hull Crown Court had heard how he stabbed his nephew in the stomach in a fit of rage because he kept losing a game based on kids’ film The Incredibles.

But the boy yesterday denied that he wanted to hurt or kill the baby.

When he was asked by his barrister Julia Macur QC what he thought would happen when he stabbed the tot, he sighed and replied: “I don’t know.”

The boy, from North East Lincolnshire, denies attempted murder and wounding with intent. The case continues.

# A DAD who got angry if interrupted during computer games deliberately killed one of his baby twin sons, his girlfriend told Norwich Crown Court yesterday.

Zoe O’Leary, 18, was giving evidence against James Tuffs, 21, of Stowmarket, Suffolk, who denies the manslaughter of four-month-old Byron.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbc website
    An 11-year-old boy who stabbed his baby nephew told police the infant's eyes opened "wide like an owl" during the attack, a court has heard.

The seven-month-old boy suffered life-threatening injuries at his home in north east Lincolnshire in December.

Hull Crown Court heard the boy stabbed the baby, the accused's nephew, with a kitchen knife in his stomach.

The boy, who is now 12, denies attempted murder and wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Knife hidden

The youngster, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had been using the knife to mend one of his toys on 15 December last year.

After the attack he then hid the broken knife under the television cabinet in the house, the court heard.

When interviewed by police, he told officers he had become frustrated and "a bit mad" because he could not complete the game on his Playstation, the jury was told.

The court heard how the youngster put his game on pause and went into the kitchen and closed the door after the baby started "whingeing".

Crying baby

He told police he picked up the small kitchen knife from a rack near the bread bin and tried to fix a toy that had jammed, but the baby kept on crying.

The court heard he told police: "I walked to the pram and (the baby) was still crying so without realising I just stabbed him."

He told police the baby's eyes "went big", adding: "He opened them dead wide like an owl."

The boy then changed into his school clothes and ran to a friend's house where his mother was.

The baby had emergency surgery and made a good recovery.

Both sides accept the boy stabbed the baby, that the baby was seriously injured and that the injuries were life-threatening.

"The only issue for you to determine in this case is whether (the defendant) had the necessary intention to be guilty of any of these offences," Gary Burrell QC, prosecuting, told the jury on Monday.

The trial continues.

i thought might be interesting to see how different people report the story

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    SOLUTION: He should have hid the baby, and ignored the whole thing. POOF, no more trouble.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Is that a hint of sarcasm orcutt?

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Helghast004's Avatar Jelly Filled Donut
    I dont think game itself caused such a violent outburst. He was probably having a tough time in a particular level and the sound coming from his nephew simply irritated him to no end.

A crying baby is one of the most annoying things on this planet, In my opinion.
    Last edited by Helghast004; 07-06-2005 at 10:46 AM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Helghast004
    I dont think game itself caused such a violent outburst. He was probably having a tough time in a particular level and the sound coming from his nephew simply irritated him to no end.

A crying baby is one of the most annoying things on this planet, In my opinion.
    Yeah I agree. And also orcutt's right , the boy should have kept the baby in another room, but he probably had to look after it

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    I think the whole problem is a 12 yr old boy is babysitting a 7 month baby.That is prolly the most disturbing part to me.The baby's gaurdian is at fault imo.Not a game.