Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Tune Up

Aaron_T's Avatar A duck is watching.
    hey, recently my PC has been running very slowly and im gettin sick of it :|

ive done the usual things like scandisk and defragementing the harddrive and disk cleanup, but doesnt really seem to have made any difference.

there are no viruses and adware on the pc ive checked, can anyone reccomend a decent program to tune up my PC as its getting very tedious.

help would be appreciated, thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Its just the way Windows is.
    It does get slower by time.

More programs and stuff you add also add to the load.

The main thing imo is to understand what programs/services runs on the background and why,
    and keep the minimal.
    Imo, in systray there's shouldn't be lotsa icons.
    Spoiler: Show

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I was thinkin of maybe reinstalling windows, i know there are special programs out there which are specifically designed for to help with slow PC's though.

thanks for the reply afro

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Try a simple all in one program like Ccleaner, MT the prefetch folder, disable start up programs that your not using as afro suggested. I use System Mechanic but ccleaner is fine and safer too.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Windows doesn't get slower for no reason or over time.

Chances are you've got some sort of spyware that hasn't been detected, or more programs are running in the background then are necessary. That wouldn't be unusual since most programs installed on Windows machines tend to load upon booting by default. That can be changed in the programs' options/preferences, using the services dialog box(click start>run, type services.msc) or good 'ole msconfig(start>run, type msconfig). Use those last 2 at your own risk though.

You may be in need of more system memory, IMO. More and more software developers are utilizing more memory when writing programs. Especially since memory prices have dropped and it's a sure way to improve performance of a program. (data can be moved in and out of memory much faster than on a hard drive)

Running multiple antispyware programs is definitely in order as well as an antivirus and some sort of trojan detector.

BTW, those "free" programs users often download are usually full of scripts that collect information and in general can slow down or dramatically affect your PCs performance. So get rid of them if you can.

Good luck with it and post your results when you figure out the problem.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    there is a nice site called PCpitstop.com. They have an activeX powered tune up utility that will diagnose your pc. It doesnt change anything, but it will point out trouble spots. I use it from time to time. And no, there isnt any adware or any other retarded shit installed by using the site. The site is real nice.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Double post : Sorry is it just me or the board ?
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-12-2005 at 01:44 AM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mïcrösöül°V³
    there is a nice site called PCpitstop.com. They have an activeX powered tune up utility that will diagnose your pc. It doesnt change anything, but it will point out trouble spots. I use it from time to time. And no, there isnt any adware or any other retarded shit installed by using the site. The site is real nice.

Yes it it good, even if Azzz, just tryed a trial program , one of the old 30 day ones he would get an Idea what he's up against .

Trial link : http://www.iolo.com/sm/5/download.cfm

Ccleaner : http://www.ccleaner.com/

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Think Ill give that a go also.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    thanks for the replies people, very helpul

i decided to download that Crap Cleaner thing (Ccleaner) sorted out 200 problems so it says and deleted almost 300mb of useless stuff from the harddrive, computer appears to be running a bit smoother but may just be wishful thinking lol

system mechanic looks ok too think i'll check that out.

thanks again, Azzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast