Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Permanant Marker Affect Cd?

Poster
    ya sharpie duznt do nothin

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    i print out little strips of paper and tape it on... my friend broke of my cds tho... he said it was running too quick then he pulled off tape and the cd came off... :/ didnt work afterwards

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Very Large Member
    Im seriously considering buying cd labels from now on.It'll save all the hassle for relatively little extra cost.I gotta stop being so tight!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Cd's dont cost that much anyway. but if you have a big colletion it does add up.

I JUST bought three markers, and funny this pops up lol
    i have some cd label kits. But i thought it be alot easier also to get a few markers. I'll chance it, no big thing im worried about.were talking some serious time it seems before they will mess up. got cd's giving to me that are marked, but no prob yet. i dont think it's THAT big of a deal, unless you get some serious toxic type of marker.

But i know for certain to NOT EVER try to use GLUE! lmao.

I did and cd stopped working soo quick.
    silly kid!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    I've been using a permanant marker to write on my CD's even since I got my computer, never a single problem. I don't have those sticker things, and when I used a regular marker it would just smear right off....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    My opinion I think not. I, (like someone else who's been doing it for 5 yrs on this page discussion Is it safe to write on the top of a CD-R disk with a "Sharpie" Pen) have been doing it since the stone age of cd-r drives, back when they 1st appeared as what 4x no prob for me thus far. I still use some of those cdrs made back then. There's those that say "yes it does" and those that say "no it does not". Somewhat of a catch 22 issue, maybe it will, maybe it won't.

EDIT:
    CD-R FAQ
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Originally posted by technonrgkid@11 April 2003 - 05:23
    Cd's dont cost that much anyway. but if you have a big colletion it does add up.

I JUST bought three markers, and funny this pops up lol
    i have some cd label kits. But i thought it be alot easier also to get a few markers. I'll chance it, no big thing im worried about.were talking some serious time it seems before they will mess up. got cd's giving to me that are marked, but no prob yet. i dont think it's THAT big of a deal, unless you get some serious toxic type of marker.

But i know for certain to NOT EVER try to use GLUE! lmao.

I did and cd stopped working soo quick.
    silly kid!
    yes label kits are nice but their so expensive! lol.... i just go to microsoft word >> write up the title >> and copy and paste the icon thatz a cd label for me... taping it on the cd of course

glue doesnt seem smart anywayz lol

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    There is no way a marker will hurt either the disc or the drive. A stick-on label, however, could fly off and get lodged inside your drive. Besides, if you weren't supposed to write on them, why do most CD-R's have blank lines on them?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    What the hell is a "sharpie"?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    In short, yes - there are chemicals in perminent marker that can cause damage to the data parts of your cd. Its best to use the special stick-on labels or the special cd marking pens that are available from most good retailers.
    You sound like you sell these over priced pens.

Just kidding, but those stickers suck. If the player gets hot, the CD may (has happened to me, not cool) stick in the damn player.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast