Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will Permanant Marker Affect Cd?

RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Originally posted by Skillian@12 April 2003 - 02:05
    What the hell is a "sharpie"?
    Sharpie is a name brand of a permenant marker, guess you didn't see Terrel Owens famous touchdown

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Originally posted by StrongislanD@10 April 2003 - 22:13
    I hope to god this is not the case, because i have over 500 cds marked in black permanant marker. I have not had a problem yet (knock on wood) but time tells another story.
    I've also been marking my CD's with permanent markers for years.. I never had any problem. I use "Sharpie".. but I dont think it matters.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    sharpie -- pernament marker.... lololz... i use em too... for non important stuff...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by Soul814@12 April 2003 - 20:00
    sharpie -- pernament marker.... lololz... i use em too... for non important stuff...
    I use SHARPIEs to acid etch circuit boards. Sharpies are acid-resistant.

A marker can affect a CDR, that is, if you mark the wrong side of the CDR, which I have done before.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Originally posted by Spindulik+14 April 2003 - 21:16--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 14 April 2003 - 21:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Soul814@12 April 2003 - 20:00
    I use SHARPIEs to acid etch circuit boards. Sharpies are acid-resistant.

A marker can affect a CDR, that is, if you mark the wrong side of the CDR, which I have done before. [/b][/quote]
    lol... u mean the cds that are shiny on both sides? lolz.... yea those are hard to tell but if you burn on it then you will be able to see... since if you tilt the cd you will cd lines...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I agree that a marker cannot affect a CD. Unless it was a very poorly made one(e.g. to thin a substrate/alminum inside the disc). If you hold a CD-R to the light and see light, throw it/them out.

A piece of advice for those using CD-Rs in car stereos and CD players with a slot loading mechanism. Using labels is a bad idea because of the roller mechanism that pulls the CD in. Labels interfere with that mechanism. I&#39;ve seen alot of stuck CDs resulting in expensive repairs.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Ultimate answer:

If there is any possibility what so ever that the marker could kill the disk and the data on the disk is important to you, then don&#39;t use markers.

Many brands have a guarantee on their disks - read what the guarantee does not cover, and don&#39;t do those things.

At the end of the day, if your data is important, then don&#39;t risk it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123