Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Permanant Marker Affect Cd?

I have been burning cd's for quite some time now and have been labeling them with black permanant marker- Will this affect the cd in the long run? Can it damage the data? I am marking them on top- Please let me know if this can be problematic down the road-Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Sorry i put in the wrong section- i thought I clicked on the hardware section-
    please transfer me- again I am sorry

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    In short, yes - there are chemicals in perminent marker that can cause damage to the data parts of your cd. Its best to use the special stick-on labels or the special cd marking pens that are available from most good retailers. :-)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Very Large Member
    Ive been marking mine with marker pen for a few years now and it hasnt done mine any harm(yet&#33.
    Lets hope no-one posts saying otherwise or else my collection is done for.

Edit:just seen mcrosbys post and now im worried.lol

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by mcrosby@10 April 2003 - 17:59
    In short, yes - there are chemicals in perminent marker that can cause damage to the data parts of your cd. Its best to use the special stick-on labels or the special cd marking pens that are available from most good retailers. :-)
    horny eh? hehe.

well, i don't think the permanent marker would affect the top of the cd, the information is on the bottom.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Originally posted by mcrosby@11 April 2003 - 00:59
    your saying the chemicals can bleed through the cd??

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Yes, I'm saying exactly that - even if its not true (which it is&#33 its better to be safe than sorry. :-)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I hope to god this is not the case, because i have over 500 cds marked in black permanant marker. I have not had a problem yet (knock on wood) but time tells another story.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Very Large Member
    Do you have any documentational evidence of your reply mrcrosby, a weblink etc?
    Its just that StrongislanD and I really would like to know either way for sure.
    I do not disbelieve you, its just that we need definite answers because there are cds at stake.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Of course it depends on exactly the chemical that would affect it - I used to mark my CDs with markers but found problems after time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast