Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the game.. little help?

Unsure

Hello peoples ...You've got another noob on your hands !
    Now i'm not completely new to p2p , having used K-lite for a couple years and Limewire for some time now as well. I'm feeling completely lost however, standing well out of the safe, comfy K-zone and looking into the huge world of hashing, leeching, and even bittorrent ( like, for all I know there all the same thing, thats how new(bish) I am .) So hears my question ... WHERE DO I START !?!? (sorry, a bit aggrivated ) Seriously though , I need a good all-in-one tut. for complete noobs who dont even have the terminology down yet. Something that will explain everything from what utilties you need to get started, to what verified links, hash links, leeching spots actually are, to how in gods name you use them, so on and so forth. I basically dont know shite and need someplace to start. So any help in that department is beautiful and much appreciated in advance .
    Now, before i get flamed into oblivion, let it be known I went through the stickies but didnt see anything that seemed to be an all-in-one guide for noobs... everything looked more itemized. I searched a bit as well but couldlnt seem to find what im looking for so... little help?
    Alright, thats a good start... any help is again much appreciated

p.s. This all got started when I tried to find an old space sim called 'freelancer' but had no luck on KL or LW, so , at the suggestion of a bud , started looking into direct sharing. The links Ive found, however, have no real explanation on how they're to used so here I am... damn I loved that game !

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by aanymaa
    Hello peoples ...You've got another noob on your hands !
    Now i'm not completely new to p2p , having used K-lite for a couple years and Limewire for some time now as well. I'm feeling completely lost however, standing well out of the safe, comfy K-zone and looking into the huge world of hashing, leeching, and even bittorrent ( like, for all I know there all the same thing, thats how new(bish) I am .) So hears my question ... WHERE DO I START !?!? (sorry, a bit aggrivated ) Seriously though , I need a good all-in-one tut. for complete noobs who dont even have the terminology down yet. Something that will explain everything from what utilties you need to get started, to what verified links, hash links, leeching spots actually are, to how in gods name you use them, so on and so forth. I basically dont know shite and need someplace to start. So any help in that department is beautiful and much appreciated in advance .
    Now, before i get flamed into oblivion, let it be known I went through the stickies but didnt see anything that seemed to be an all-in-one guide for noobs... everything looked more itemized. I searched a bit as well but couldlnt seem to find what im looking for so... little help?
    Alright, thats a good start... any help is again much appreciated

p.s. This all got started when I tried to find an old space sim called 'freelancer' but had no luck on KL or LW, so , at the suggestion of a bud , started looking into direct sharing. The links Ive found, however, have no real explanation on how they're to used so here I am... damn I loved that game !
    You're asking for way too much info for a noob, it'll addle ya brain.

Tell us what type of stuff you want to d/l and we'll try to point you in the right direction for the best d/l client(and sites) for each category.
    Last edited by dodgy368; 07-12-2005 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling mistake! lol

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgy368

You're asking for way too much info for a noob, it'll addle ya brain.
    heheh ... oh it's already addled, muddled, and befuddled to boot lol ...
    DL'ing games is the main issue Im lookin to work out currently ( specifically a game called "freelancer" .)I love KL and LW for music and shows but dont really trust'em for games anymore so I need to learn these other ways of sharing. I've explored some of the "verified" links , but havent come across an explanation on how to use them so ... I suppose thats a good place to start ... and thanks for the quick response mang

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Imo...I think a good place to start is Emule, it is an all in one program, and is easy to use. It is slow to start with and waiting times are long, but once you start to share more, your speeds will increase.

It is particularly good for rare stuff

I found 71 hits for freelancer in the search.

Check out the emule section for more info.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f42-eDonkey_&_eMule.html

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    Imo...I think a good place to start is Emule, it is an all in one program, and is easy to use. It is slow to start with and waiting times are long, but once you start to share more, your speeds will increase.

Cool thanks for the tip . I've read through all the FAQ's and poured over the site itself ... only question I cant find an answer to is whether or not theres any spyware in it like Kazaa ? Dont wanna DL 'til I'm sure. Anyone ?

lmao nevermind nevermind ... Im blind .. or tired ... sorry lol ... I'll direct future questions about other stuff to their own post's
    Last edited by aanymaa; 07-13-2005 at 12:57 AM.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    kazaa2002's Avatar lost
    Quote Originally Posted by aanymaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara

Cool thanks for the tip . I've read through all the FAQ's and poured over the site itself ... only question I cant find an answer to is whether or not theres any spyware in it like Kazaa ? Dont wanna DL 'til I'm sure. Anyone ?

lmao nevermind nevermind ... Im blind .. or tired ... sorry lol ... I'll direct future questions about other stuff to their own post's

where to start:
    Google is your friend...and can get you started
    Read the threads
    we will help, but you ask many questions on many things
    try to stay with a selected area, then move on to another.
    Newbie Requests Advice- FileSharing Talk

What is the best file sharing route to take?- FileSharing Talk
    What DL Programs are people using these days?- FileSharing Talk

it is the small things that usually drive us mad

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I read your post with a big grin , like a kid in a candy shop ! Emule is good as Sara says. Post many questions we need the exercise , in a week you'll be the one answering new members posts .

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I did pick up e-mule and followed all the guides and tuts. I could find for setting up the prefferences in the most rewarding fashion. Seems user friendly enough, even for scrubs . Im gonna have to figure out what firewall is the best one,( had a bad experience tryin to install Kerio right now, had to restore to yesterday because it messed up my connection for a couple hours somehow ) but I'll work it out I'm sure . Course , once I do, then its on to what the hell those .bin files I'm DL'ing are and what in God's name I'm supposed to do with them once I got them . heheheh, always something new . I found tuts. a plenty on that subject though, and am confident I'll figure it out when I need to so dont think I'm fishin'.
    And thanks for the encouragement, though, answering questions in a week may be putting a bit more faith in me than I deserve . However , whatever knowledge you guys do bestow I'll be eager to give back so... you can indeed count on me working you guys out over the next few weeks .
    The super-noob thanks you all again !

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    .bin files comes together with .cue files, they are sort of image files like .iso .img and the sorts (in some cases, .cue file is not needed, read the guide on the link below)

.cue files are "mounted" with software like Alcohol or Daemon and the likes,
    in virtual CD/DVD rom drive where you could possibly burn or use them as is.

for burning programs, check the Nero, its awsome and lotsa ppl uses it.

here's one of our own guides about image files, good place to start atleast...

Spoiler: Show

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Little update ... I got it !!!! ... got the Bin from LW ... broke it down with Izarc ... burned with Alcohol ... VOILA !!! ... thanks for all the help and direction peoples ... now ... how do I do everything else ?!?!?!? (jk )
    Thanks again ... SuperNoob out !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast