Thread: Dvd - Divx

i have downloaded loads of good quality dvd rip avi files and r allabout 700mb. can anyone tell me what the program is called to rip the dvd and convert it to a good quality avi file?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Very Large Member
    Not sure of the question but to convert downloaded files to ones that play on standalone DVD players you could try tmpgenc or something like ULead DVD Movie Factory 2.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Well, there are two stages in converting an DVD movie to avi. First, you rip the movie to your hard drive with a program like SmartRipper, CSS or DVD Decrypter. This removes the copy protection (macrovision). Then you encode the movie with a program like Gordon Knot or Vidomi (just to name a few). Goto http://www.doom9.org/ for more info about encoding. I only mentioned Gordon Knot and Vidomi because they are the only ones I've ever used. Vidomi is the easiest for the 1st-timer but Gordon Knot has more control options. There are other programs that is all and one. I truly hope you have a fairly fast machine because encoding is CPU intensive. I have a 1.7 celeron over-clocked to 2Ghz and it takes me 8 hours to do a two pass job. Also check out http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ for good info. Goodluck.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Do you need a dvd-rom to go trought the process and rip the DVD?

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Originally posted by losvillanueva@11 April 2003 - 06:48
    Do you need a dvd-rom to go trought the process and rip the DVD?
    Yes.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    you can rip a dvd with a dvd rom?
    i always though you needed a dvd burner to do that.
    hmm, maybe i will pick a dvdrom up they are like 40 bux.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Yeah, as DS stated all you need is a DVD rom drive, this will allow your PC the ability to read the DVD, if it can read it then it can rip it (pull it off the disc and copy to your Hard Drive). Check out my string, there is a post or 2 with instructions and a sig2dat to get a guide with hot links to everything you need. Good Luck.

DVD-Decrypter (ripper) and Vidomi (encoder) are my fav's.

PS- It takes me as little as 3 hours and as many as 7 to perform a 2 pass encode using DIVX PRO 5.0.2, but I have a very fast PC (2.26 GHz P4 w/533 MHz bus running at 2.4 GHz and 512 MBs of DDR-ram) and do nothing else during the process. Encode times will vary as DS stated and one thing I have noticed is the more you do the faster it seems to get, not sure why though.