Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: The London Bombers have been ID'ed...

  1. #1
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30,399
    I think getting rid of the clerics who preach hate would be a start. When I say get rid, I mean deport them if applicable or charge them with treason or some other charge that would put them away for a while. Providing they were guilty of course.

    Cherie could make a few pennies out of defending them.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Newcasil
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,076
    Immigration and Citizenship?

    Thought they were homegrown from Yorkshire.. how would changing the immigration rules or citizenship rules have changed anything? Apart from forcing a further wedge between communities and creating even more potential idiots?

    I already reported that the Met have stated that they suspect as many as 3000 brits that are now sympathetic with the fundamentalists, that werent prior to the invasion of Iraq.

    That suggests a change in Foreign Policy would be more in order to me...

    An It Harm None, Do What You Will

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    60
    Posts
    8,804
    There are one or two things that have fallen out of this. The problem appears to be amongst prosperous, well educated, British, disaffected youth rather than outsiders. Immigration and ID cards would be useless.

    The cameras are useful and and they have been instrumental in helping pinpoint a lot of criminals. Also useful has been the willingness of the Muslim community to assist the police.

    There is little that can be done to stop hitherto model citizens strapping bombs to themselves and blowing themselves up ... other than the community they spring from being vigilant and heading them off at the pass; returning them to the path of sanity before anything untoward happens.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum


  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Something that bothered me was that before we even knew it was a suicide bombing the Media (TV % Newspapers) were all focusing on the Mulsim community. As soon as they heard it was suicide bombers suddenly it was hunt down muslim leaders and get them on camera/in the papers and see what they have to say.

    Who made up the great rule that terrorists and bombers have to be mulsim . With the media having no infomation apart from the fact that they were suicide bombers (before they were id'ed this is) they start guessing which Muslim terrorist cell had done this.

    Whats stopping me, a white male blowing myself up, why does everybody automatically think the people are typical pakistani (sp?) fanatical (sp?) muslims?


  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    I already reported that the Met have stated that they suspect as many as 3000 brits that are now sympathetic with the fundamentalists, that werent prior to the invasion of Iraq.

    That suggests a change in Foreign Policy would be more in order to me...
    That would be correct if you also accept that murderers should dictate foreign policy.

    I don't.

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Something that bothered me was that before we even knew it was a suicide bombing the Media (TV % Newspapers) were all focusing on the Mulsim community. As soon as they heard it was suicide bombers suddenly it was hunt down muslim leaders and get them on camera/in the papers and see what they have to say.

    Who made up the great rule that terrorists and bombers have to be mulsim . With the media having no infomation apart from the fact that they were suicide bombers (before they were id'ed this is) they start guessing which Muslim terrorist cell had done this.

    Whats stopping me, a white male blowing myself up, why does everybody automatically think the people are typical pakistani (sp?) fanatical (sp?) muslims?
    It's known as profiling and it is very accurate in the vast majority of cases.

    That allied to a knowledge of who is currently active (which decent investigative reporters will have) points them towards the most likely culprits.

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    @preezy

    I think the main fact of current affairs made a Middle East based attack the most likely. Had it happened 5 or 10 years ago I am sure the press would be aiming at someone of Irish identity.

    I agree fully that those of Muslim faith are unfairly lumped in with the bombers and are probably being asked to apologise for the acts of people with whom they have no connection other than sharing the same religion.
    I didn't see the media homing in on the evangelicals here when the unabomber was blowing up abortion clinics and gay clubs.
    The Suicide bombing tactic was one borrowed from the Tamil Tigers and to date the tigers have more such acts under their belt. It is a tactic taken up by many Middle Eastern groups and not by your general white bomber who doesn't see any personal gain in killing him/herself for whatever reason.

    @ J2

    rat posted already that these people were born in the UK so immigration isn't directly linked to these people. It may be though if they have been "influenced" by immigrants.
    I believe strongly that a nation has the right to know who is on their land and if they are up to no good. So if someone wishes to permanently live in a country in which they were not born they should have to accept certain limits to their freedoms that a native does not.
    This however can be hard to do if the native is not prepared to accept some limits as well. Take background checks at firearm shows for example... how can we find out if munitions are being purchased illegally if we don't check everyone?

    Sad as it is I don't think we can ever eliminate terrorism. We can reduce the risk but it is not just about tightening boarders. We need to tackle the issues that spawn the acts in the first place.... and I feel that may certainly for us be the most unpalatable thing to do

    itís an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Something that bothered me was that before we even knew it was a suicide bombing the Media (TV % Newspapers) were all focusing on the Mulsim community. As soon as they heard it was suicide bombers suddenly it was hunt down muslim leaders and get them on camera/in the papers and see what they have to say.

    Who made up the great rule that terrorists and bombers have to be mulsim . With the media having no infomation apart from the fact that they were suicide bombers (before they were id'ed this is) they start guessing which Muslim terrorist cell had done this.

    Whats stopping me, a white male blowing myself up, why does everybody automatically think the people are typical pakistani (sp?) fanatical (sp?) muslims?
    It's known as profiling and it is very accurate in the vast majority of cases.

    That allied to a knowledge of who is currently active (which decent investigative reporters will have) points them towards the most likely culprits.

    Yes, most likley. However there was no proof at the time who it was, so isn't profiling and saying it was an attacking from a middle eastern muslim based country just being harsh.


  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Newcasil
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,076
    In addition, they didnt know it was suicide bombers and the authorities were put on alert in March this year that the IRA (or another Irish Republican faction) were going to target mainland Britain this year.

    The only thing i can think of is that there was no warning.

    The IRA usually do this for large scale attacks.

    They also rarely organise a number of bombs to go off simultaneously.

    An It Harm None, Do What You Will

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Newcasil
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,076
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    I already reported that the Met have stated that they suspect as many as 3000 brits that are now sympathetic with the fundamentalists, that werent prior to the invasion of Iraq.

    That suggests a change in Foreign Policy would be more in order to me...
    That would be correct if you also accept that murderers should dictate foreign policy.

    I don't.
    Neither do I.

    However like the Spanish, there is already a strong movement to change the foreign policy in the UK. So it would be difficult to see what influence such tactics would have.

    The scared will join the movement to change, however some in the movement to change will now decide they have to see things through.. status quo is thus achieved,

    An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •