Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Harry Potter...A new angle

lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    http://www.pathlights.com/ce_encyclopedia/22sch01.htm

merkin christian fundamentalists are always good for a laugh. i wish i was a merkin schoolboy, so i could be an argumentative little shit in "science" classes
    Are you trying to convince us you weren't?

More seriously, Harry Potter no more "accurately portrays obviously a religion" than, say, Ben Hur does for christianity. Certainly it refers to witchcraft, but that is the nature of all books, they have a setting and in this case it is in a school of witchcraft. That does not equate to promoting of teaching witchcraft.

Let's assume that it teaches witchcraft. In that case by now there will be kids all over the world who are well practised at various spells etc. Naturally, we see it all the time. Actually, you should probably be promoting this even more, I'm sure they could do something about the vampires with which your cities seem to be infested.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    well i always have been. but it'd be so much more fun pwning creationalism.

i remember one time in RE the teacher said something like we can't force religion on someone. i said "you're doing it right now", he said "but you don't have to be here" pretty much in unison half the class shouted "YES WE DO". those were the days

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    lynx's Avatar .

i remember one time in RE the teacher said something like we can't force religion on someone. i said "you're doing it right now", he said "but you don't have to be here" pretty much in unison half the class shouted "YES WE DO". those were the days
    Did you get put on moderation.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I mentioned the christian creation theory once, in biology class or possibly physics class, when the teacher accounted for a bunch of popular theories.

He laughed.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I mentioned the christian creation theory once, in biology class or possibly physics class, when the teacher accounted for a bunch of popular theories.

He laughed.
    when I was younger at the school we had Religious Education Classes. All we did was read passages from the Bible. No discussions on the rights or wrongs of those passages. Just read them.

I have to admit a heinous sin, I joined the Sunday School because they used to have a good 'day trip' once a year.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    This is such a load of codswallop.

I have read the first 5 Harry Potter books. They are great children's fiction, using situations that children can relate to (i.e. a boarding school) with a fantasy twist in that it's a boarding school of magic. The theme of all the books is your standard "good versus evil" storyline..

They do not promote witchcraft as a religion.. That's just bollocks.

Also, kids aren't stupid, they know the difference between fiction and fact, otherwise there'd be a spate of broken noses at Kings Cross because of kids trying to get to platform nine-and-three-quarters...

These silly people who see ulterior motives in everything should get a life.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    The idea that these books actually advance a particular religious point of view is plain nonsense.

I can only assume that those who argue this point have not read Harry Potter and secondly know next to nothing about traditional European Pagan religions.

The books are of the rather old fashioned, schoolkids save the day, good triumphs over evil variety. Those piqued by their success appear to base their ire purely on the fact that the setting is fantasy one.

Presumably Dinotopia, Alice in Wonderland, Lord of the Rings and numerous other books are on the same hit list.

I think what strikes me most is that if these individuals can be so wrong on this issue what else have they got back to front?
    Last edited by Biggles; 07-18-2005 at 01:57 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    what else have they got back to front?
    Some of them sex.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    cooki's Avatar cooki-monster
    dont see any of this harry potter cult thing in ireland

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    does the establishment of legal precedents & doctrine by the court system not count for anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    The books are of the rather old fashioned, schoolkids save the day, good triumphs over evil variety. Those piqued by their success appear to base their ire purely on the fact that the setting is fantasy one.
    so... it's like "The Hardy Boys" with magic?

parents can be such uptight fuddy duddies, nowadays. i wonder how many of the people who would ban something like "The Wizard Of Oz" actually enjoyed it themselves when they were kids, and now just want to deny their own children the same pleasure (of experiencing pagan/satanic/wiccan entertainment).
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 07-23-2005 at 03:35 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234