Thread: should I convert pal to ntsc?

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face

Question Mark

I wonder if I have a problem. I keep trying to burn this movie to a dvd-r, and it keeps playing all screwed up on my tv set. Could it possibly be the format of the movie I am burning? it is a pal format. When I play the disc in my pc, it plays perfectly, just not on my stand-alone dvd player. My dvd player is new, so its not some old dinosaur. Could format cause this issue? BTW, the video on the tv screen is offset, and is in black and white. I havent seen this before, but then again, I am new to burning DVD's. So, If I do convert it, what software would be needed?
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 07-12-2005 at 12:07 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    My DVD Player is 5 years old & it plays both NTSC & PAL...a friend of mine bought a new Player last week & it wont play PAL, it also wont play some of his NTSC that played on the old Player. Converting is a long process...overnight...if you have another Player or if you can, try a friend or two...to see if there's play it...it none other theres do...it might be something else...if it does play, than it's your choice to convert...but most likely you will have to convert to SCVD or VCD first than convert again to VOB...I'm not sure on this though..I've done AVI, MPEG, & S-VCD..but never PAL to NTSC from VOB. Also if I remember right....VCD is NTSC & SVCD is PAL.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Goes Rawr!
    Just do a google on PAL To NTSC.. you'll find a couple guides... and yes the process is pretty lengthy... I tried..

I remember converting Mulan 2 PAL to NTSC.. once it all worked out

Joy came ><
    Last edited by SaYiaN; 07-12-2005 at 01:11 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    SVCD and VCD have nothing to do with PAL or NTSC. SVCDs are created using mpeg2 video files where VCDs are created using mpeg1 video files.

PAL format is 50 times a second while NTSC is 60 times a second. (the times a picture is "drawn" or scanned on your TV screen)

NTSC is the standard in the US while PAL is pretty much everywhere else.

Your DVD player may not be capable of both formats as most aren't. But, some can be "hacked." Check www.videohelp.com for your model as well as guides for converting.

BTW, it may not take all night as stated above. It depends on the capability of your hardware. Some PCs will perform this rather quickly(a few hours), some won't.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    before you go through the length and possible problems with re-encoding....
    check through your TV & DVD player menus and/or manual to see if it plays PAL
    like Lion, I have an older off-brand DVD player that handles PAL

and yeah, the offset, black & white picture is probably the format
    had the same thing with Van Helsing (PAL) a while back
    I made some adjustments in my player/TV settings, played fine

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    NeroVision Express can convert between NTSC and PAL very easily.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentino
    NeroVision Express can convert between NTSC and PAL very easily.
    Never tried this before, can you give somemore Info..please..
    I use Nero 6 Ultra

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I just thought I would follow up. I used WinAVI to convert the original .avi to NTSC dvd, then I burned it to a dvd-r, and now the movie plays fine, so it must have been an issue with my dvd player not liking the format. I guess the original format was PAL. I also tried, as was mentioned in a post above, checking my dvd player for settings, but mine dont have anything i could change.
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 07-16-2005 at 06:59 PM.