Thread: Video Card for the Inspiron 8600

matt526's Avatar Poster

Question Mark

I currently have the “NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200” in a “Dell Inspiron 8600” I obviously want and need to upgrade, however I am not sure what I should upgrade to, I don’t know what is compatible with the Inspiron 8600.
    Can anyone offer any advice?
    Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Take your dell, and grab a sledgehammer, and proceed to use said sledgehammer to destory dell.

Then go buy a custom built one.
    Last edited by IKT; 07-22-2005 at 03:18 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by IKT
    Take your dell, and grab a sledgehammer, and proceed to use said sledgehammer to destory dell.

Then go buy a custom built one.
    That was mean ,If your going to give advice like that please tell the member to have credit card in other hand ! We all don't have money to spare tho, is this a laptop ?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    is this a laptop ?
    This is important, using a sledge hammer on a laptop could cause the bits to fly too far and cause injury.

Seriously though, the big problem with graphics chips it that as you increase the performance, the heat produced also rises. In a desktop or tower that's reasonably easy to deal with, but in a laptop it is a serious problem. The graphics chip is almost certainly directly on your mobo, possibly actually in the northbridge chip, and cooling for the system is tailored to match the expected heat output.

Secondly, It it doubtful whether your laptop has an internal AGP slot. A very few have, but Dell aren't aiming at that market so it is unlikely thay would bother to fit one. If not you would have to get a card with a mobile pci interface, but that would not have the bandwidth required to give you better performance.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.