Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Solar Power - i don't get it

  1. #1


    I don't get it
    its 2005 yes?
    technology is abundant yes?
    technology needs electricity yes?
    did they not discover solar power decades ago?

    then wtf do none of todays techno items use solar power?
    is it simply because more money can be made on batteries, adapters etc etc?

    sun is free no?

    they could simply attach some solar panel to the back of
    mobile phones
    laptops
    mp3 players
    toasters...
    cameras
    lights
    other mobile issues where batteries etc kick your head in
    etc
    etc

    why is solar power so none abundant?

    just found this which is strong enough to sustain a laptop
    The rugged iSunŽ Sport is the perfect solar solution for a wide variety of applications. Whether it's charging cellphones, PDA's, GPS, MP3 or AA's or AAA's (with optional Battpak), the iSunŽ can do the job, just add sunshine!
    Includes a variety of connectors including 12V female lighter socket to plug into most devices. You can even daisy-chain multiple units together for additional power.
    Output: 290 mAmps@7.6 volts / 145 mAmps@15.2 volts. Measures approx. 7" X 4" X 1". Weighs about 11 ounces.

    Solar Safari Hat


    Last edited by 99%; 07-23-2005 at 11:22 AM.

  2. Lounge   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    That thing would need about 12 hours to give enough charge to run a laptop for about 5 mins.

    I think the point is that they cost more to make in terms of energy than they can produce in their predicted lifetime. Some areas (such as deserts) could produce a enough solar energy to tip this equation the other way, but lack of population in those areas mean that distribution costs make this solution unviable.

    The hat would be a good idea though, a slightly larger panel and you could run a decent sized fan.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  3. Lounge   -   #3
    agreed with the expense
    but does it notr seem obvious that this medium has not been developed further by normal corperations
    it is definetly enviromentally more friendly
    had it been a priority on everyones list it would be cheaper
    (it is cheaper in the long run)


  4. Lounge   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Watch the episode of the show 30 Days called Off The Grid.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  5. Lounge   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497




    One very useful place for solar power is in space. Those satellites and the space station use them because it's difficult to find a long enough extention cord.



    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 07-23-2005 at 03:29 PM.

  6. Lounge   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,631
    Quote Originally Posted by 99%
    agreed with the expense
    but does it notr seem obvious that this medium has not been developed further by normal corperations
    it is definetly enviromentally more friendly
    had it been a priority on everyones list it would be cheaper
    (it is cheaper in the long run)
    I can tell you right now though, this car has no radio/tape deck/cd player, no internal lights, no AC, no heater, no cig lighter, no gauges. It might have a speedometer. Solar cells just hold enough power right now for something that is going to use that much power. The only place I am beginning to see solar cells used as an early standard is for the flashing lights that mark the start of a school zone. I am noticing all of those signs have a solar cell on top.
    Last edited by Skizo; 07-23-2005 at 09:12 PM.



    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The FST Last.fm group

  7. Lounge   -   #7
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the suburbs. honestment
    Age
    31
    Posts
    21,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Quote Originally Posted by 99%
    agreed with the expense
    but does it notr seem obvious that this medium has not been developed further by normal corperations
    it is definetly enviromentally more friendly
    had it been a priority on everyones list it would be cheaper
    (it is cheaper in the long run)
    I can tell you right now though, this car has no radio/tape deck/cd player, no internal lights, no AC, no heater, no cig lighter, no gauges. It might have a speedometer. Solar cells just hold enough power right now for something that is going to use that much power. The only place I am beginning to see solar cells used as an early standard is for the flashing lights that mark the start of a school zone. I am noticing all of those signs have a solar cell on top.
    proof?

    if a radio can run efficiantly off clockwork, i'm sure it won't need much area of a solar panel. i doubt the friction of a mechanical speedometer would have any noticable effect and i bet less than a square foot of solar panal could power the dials and guages

  8. Lounge   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    One very useful place for solar power is in space. Those satellites and the space station use them because it's difficult to find a long enough extention cord.


  9. Lounge   -   #9
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Mansfield, Nottinghamshir
    Age
    53
    Posts
    11,008
    The problem with solar power is it's all up and down

    All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

  10. Lounge   -   #10
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Newcasil
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,076
    Quote Originally Posted by 99%
    agreed with the expense
    but does it notr seem obvious that this medium has not been developed further by normal corperations
    it is definetly enviromentally more friendly
    had it been a priority on everyones list it would be cheaper
    (it is cheaper in the long run)
    You miss the point.

    Its not that much more environmentaly friendly, as it takes a few years for it to produce the energy that went into its manufacture, plus needs materials in that manufacturing process which are very environmentaly unfriendly to extract.

    Small stuff like calculators, fine.. because batteries are also much less efficient and they doesnt require much power.

    Likewise roadsigns/camera's on the highways, as you save on cabling etc and the balance is tipped.

    If you want companies to be more energy efficient, tell 'em to put wind turbines on their roofs. It only takes 9 month to create the same energy that went into their manufacture

    An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •