Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Power - i don't get it

I don't get it
    its 2005 yes?
    technology is abundant yes?
    technology needs electricity yes?
    did they not discover solar power decades ago?

then wtf do none of todays techno items use solar power?
    is it simply because more money can be made on batteries, adapters etc etc?

sun is free no?

they could simply attach some solar panel to the back of
    mobile phones
    laptops
    mp3 players
    toasters...
    cameras
    lights
    other mobile issues where batteries etc kick your head in
    etc
    etc

why is solar power so none abundant?

just found this which is strong enough to sustain a laptop
    The rugged iSunŽ Sport is the perfect solar solution for a wide variety of applications. Whether it's charging cellphones, PDA's, GPS, MP3 or AA's or AAA's (with optional Battpak), the iSunŽ can do the job, just add sunshine!
    Includes a variety of connectors including 12V female lighter socket to plug into most devices. You can even daisy-chain multiple units together for additional power.
    Output: 290 [email protected] volts / 145 [email protected] volts. Measures approx. 7" X 4" X 1". Weighs about 11 ounces.

Solar Safari Hat

Last edited by 99%; 07-23-2005 at 11:22 AM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    That thing would need about 12 hours to give enough charge to run a laptop for about 5 mins.

I think the point is that they cost more to make in terms of energy than they can produce in their predicted lifetime. Some areas (such as deserts) could produce a enough solar energy to tip this equation the other way, but lack of population in those areas mean that distribution costs make this solution unviable.

The hat would be a good idea though, a slightly larger panel and you could run a decent sized fan.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    agreed with the expense
    but does it notr seem obvious that this medium has not been developed further by normal corperations
    it is definetly enviromentally more friendly
    had it been a priority on everyones list it would be cheaper
    (it is cheaper in the long run)

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Watch the episode of the show 30 Days called Off The Grid.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

One very useful place for solar power is in space. Those satellites and the space station use them because it's difficult to find a long enough extention cord.

Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 07-23-2005 at 03:29 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99%
    agreed with the expense
    but does it notr seem obvious that this medium has not been developed further by normal corperations
    I can tell you right now though, this car has no radio/tape deck/cd player, no internal lights, no AC, no heater, no cig lighter, no gauges. It might have a speedometer. Solar cells just hold enough power right now for something that is going to use that much power. The only place I am beginning to see solar cells used as an early standard is for the flashing lights that mark the start of a school zone. I am noticing all of those signs have a solar cell on top.
    Last edited by Skizo; 07-23-2005 at 09:12 PM.

yo

7. Lounge   -   #7
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    agreed with the expense
    I can tell you right now though, this car has no radio/tape deck/cd player, no internal lights, no AC, no heater, no cig lighter, no gauges. It might have a speedometer. Solar cells just hold enough power right now for something that is going to use that much power. The only place I am beginning to see solar cells used as an early standard is for the flashing lights that mark the start of a school zone. I am noticing all of those signs have a solar cell on top.
    proof?

if a radio can run efficiantly off clockwork, i'm sure it won't need much area of a solar panel. i doubt the friction of a mechanical speedometer would have any noticable effect and i bet less than a square foot of solar panal could power the dials and guages

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    One very useful place for solar power is in space. Those satellites and the space station use them because it's difficult to find a long enough extention cord.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    The problem with solar power is it's all up and down

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    agreed with the expense
    You miss the point.

Its not that much more environmentaly friendly, as it takes a few years for it to produce the energy that went into its manufacture, plus needs materials in that manufacturing process which are very environmentaly unfriendly to extract.

Small stuff like calculators, fine.. because batteries are also much less efficient and they doesnt require much power.

Likewise roadsigns/camera's on the highways, as you save on cabling etc and the balance is tipped.

If you want companies to be more energy efficient, tell 'em to put wind turbines on their roofs. It only takes 9 month to create the same energy that went into their manufacture

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast