Thread: File Types And How To Use Them All

Poster
    There have been far too many questions concerning how to use certain file types which can be downloaded on Kazaa Lite, and the answers are scattered out all over the forums. So, I thought it would be good to put it all in one place.

.BIN/.CUE: This is an image file of a CD (.BIN), and the cue sheet for that file (.CUE). This type of file is created with the CDRWin burner program. After you download a BIN/CUE set of files, you can open your burner program, choose the option to burn an image, and then choose the .CUE file. If you download just a .BIN file, you will need to download and install CDRWin in order to generate a .CUE file for it, before you burn it to CD.

.ISO: This is an image file of a CD (.ISO). It can be created and burned with several burner programs out there. Just open your burner program, choose the option to burn an image, and then choose the .ISO file. If you want to manipulate the file (i.e., add more files or directories, such as a No-CD crack or a CD-Key), you can do this with WinISO. You can also convert .BIN to .ISO with WinISO, if you choose to do so.

.NRG: This is an image file of a CD (.NRG), created with Nero Burning ROM. Download and install Nero to write these files.

.IMG/.SUB/.CCD: This is an image file of a CD (.IMG), the control file, which contains information about the logical structure of the CD (.CUE), and the sub channel data of all tracks of the CD (.SUB). These files are created with CloneCD. Download and install CloneCD to write these files. CloneCD is by far the best program to use when burning a back-up image of a CD. If your drive supports amplifying weak sectors (like a Lite-On), then you will be able to make an exact 1:1 Copy with the SafeDiskv2 protection intact. Writers like Plextor, TEAC, and Sony no longer support this feature, so any image made will not retain the SafeDiskv2 protection and will need a No-CD crack to play.
    A GUIDE TO MAKING/WRITING CLONECD FILES CAN BE FOUND HERE

All the CD images above can be mounted with a virtual drive emulator, such as DaemonTools or Alcohol 120%, without burning them to CD, although the protection emulation is not always 100%. Always burn a back-up to CD.

.ACE: This file is created and opened with WinAce. *NOTE* If you create an .ACE file (or an archive of .ACE files), please select the option to "Check CRC after compressing files" under View>Options>Compression. This will keep you from sharing a corrupt volume on Kazaa.

.ZIP: This file can be created and opened using almost any Compression Utility (WinZip, WinAce, WinRar, etc.)

.RAR: This file can be created and opened using WinRar and WinAce (although sometimes WinAce will act funny when trying to extract .RAR files, depending on the compression settings used when the file was made).

.EXE: There are two types of .EXE files you will commonly see on Kazaa. The first is a self-installing executable file, which will install a program when clicked. A virus scan will show that 1 file was scanned. These types of files can carry viruses that are hard to detect, so make sure your anti-virus software is up-to-date.
    The second type is a self-extracting executable, which will decompress several files to a directory, and you will then have to run the installation. A virus scan will show multiple files on this type of file. These files are made from a compressed file, and the icon will let you know which compression program made the file (WinZip, WinAce, WinRar, etc.). I would suggest using that program to look at the contents before extracting (usually by right-clicking on the file and choosing the proper option), to make sure you haven't downloaded a mis-labled file, and that all the files are there. It is a lot easier to detect a virus in this type of file, but again, make sure your anti-virus software is up-to-date.

.AVI: This is a video file which can be made with several different programs. It will have to be converted to an .MP(E)G file before it can be burned on a CD as a VCD or SVCD. There are several ways to do this, so check around the 'net for the different methods. The way I do this is I load the .AVI into VirtualDub. Set the Video to Direct stream copy, and the Audio to Full processing mode. The choose Audio>Conversion, and set it at 44100Hz, 8-bit, stereo. The run the Dub. This will give you an .AVI file with uncompressed audio. You can then open the .AVI in TMPGEnc. It needs to be encoded as an MPEG-Layer1 file for VCD, and an MPEG-Layer2 file for SVCD. Play with the settings to achieve the best video/audio combination, while keeping the file size down below 700M (so you can burn it on CD).

.DIVX: This is (most of the time) an .AVI file, which has been renamed with the extension .DIVX so that it can be recognized and played with The Playa (the media player bundled with the DivX 5.02 bundle). These files can usually be renamed with the .AVI extension, and opened in Windows Media Player.

If anyone wants to add a file type, and how to use/open it, please do

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i downloaded xp in exe format. how or what do i have to do to make it work on a disk?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    hey uh you DLed TrShadys Xp i dont know either ask him

do u have nero i think u have to burn the iso o well lets wait for TR