Thread: Fingerprint login tools

Anyone used these systems yet? Wondering if they are any good, especially as you are supposed to be able to stop using passwords since it handles them for you.

I can imagine it would have drawbacks like if for some reason the password data is lost or somehow corrupted, or if say the police come to get your encrypted computer and hold you finger to the reader to log in and access your data
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    What if you lost your finger in an accident. Or was it an accident?

Hackers.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    What if you lost your finger in an accident. Or was it an accident?
    I read about one that is supposed to be able to determine if the flesh is dead or alive. Says it won't work with a severed finger. Of course it doesn't say how long after the finger is severed that the finger is considered dead
    Peace of mind Findnot

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Kinda gives a whole new meaning to "digital security", eh?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I tried the M$ fingerprint scanner(about $50). It worked well. You actually scan 2 different fingers to use it and cannot make any changes to the software without a password. You can also use it to log into websites. (I had problems with this feature on flash-driven websites)

But it doesn't replace your PC login completely. You can still log-in to WinXP by entering your password. Not truly secure if you ask me. Especially since the WinXP login screen can be cracked by the right person with the right tools.

The M$ fingerprint scanner is more for convenience then actual security.

I have a friend who uses a company tablet PC. It has a hardware fingerprint scanner installed in place of the floppy drive. A little plastic piece pops out to do the scanning. But, it works the same way as the M$ scanner as I understand it [and probably can be cracked].

My conclusion, commercially available scanners are more "show" then "go."

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks for that report

I am not too worried about trying to secure my pc so much. I have it pretty secure from outside with router/firewall etc.

I am more concerned with the password use for all my crap. Maybe I will give it a try Of course I need to convince the wife it is worth it first

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot