Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake RIAA/ MPAA emule servers

RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Fake MPAA/RIAA eMule servers

p2pnet.net News :- The entertainment industry has taken its efforts to crush the p2p networks a step further by trying to swamp eMule.

Online scalp-hunter MediaCentry has set up fake eMule servers to try to try to trap file sharers, says Joseph Farthing in a Methlabs post which, though a month old, remains relevant.

MediaCentry is joined at the hip with both the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) and the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America).

“The servers, which were all hosted in the United States of America, were listed in a number of commonly used eMule server lists,” says Farthing, going on:

“Although it is not clear how the servers managed to slip past administrators, it is apparent that around 98000 people were using just one server before the problem was spotted.

The servers have been removed from many lists already, http://www.gruk.org/list.php and http://ed2k.2x4u.de/list.html are currently proven safe.

Source: http://p2pnet.net/story/3346

check your lists people

2. File Sharing   -   #2

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Thanks.....all fine....so far....

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    And how did they know that those servers were fake to begin with?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm
    And how did they know that those servers were fake to begin with?
    by the IPs, whats wierd they weren't trying to "hide" in the server list, a bunch of them, if not all, had a descrption of "all your bases belong to us"
    maybe it was more of a "scare tactic"

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Filliz's Avatar ______________
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas
    by the IPs, whats wierd they weren't trying to "hide" in the server list, a bunch of them, if not all, had a descrption of "all your bases belong to us"
    maybe it was more of a "scare tactic"
    Do a Google on "All your bases are belong to us"

hmm...asspie

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    this one is also clean:

http://www.e4file.com/azz/server.met

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Hi I am new here.
    I got connected to a fake server (presumably RIAA or MPAA) and dont know if I should be worried or not. The server was called "hot zone 6" or something. The reason I think its fake is because all searches I made came up with no results. Originally I connected to a server that did work OK (I think it was donkey server), I left emule alone for a while, and when I came back I was on that server. Or at least thats what I think happened. I dont know exactly how long I was connected for (probably around an hour). What could happen now?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by big smoke 1
    Hi I am new here.
    I got connected to a fake server (presumably RIAA or MPAA) and dont know if I should be worried or not. The server was called "hot zone 6" or something. The reason I think its fake is because all searches I made came up with no results. Originally I connected to a server that did work OK (I think it was donkey server), I left emule alone for a while, and when I came back I was on that server. Or at least thats what I think happened. I dont know exactly how long I was connected for (probably around an hour). What could happen now?
    it all depends, but most likely you are fine. I imagion that the people running the servers can see what you are downloading, as opposed to their normal practice of searching people's shared folders, but with that much traffic, it is going to be near impossable to catch everyone. it also depends what you are downloading- I beleve the people that own the copyrite have to bring suit, so if the artist or the people holding their contract have decided that it isn't worth it to go after you, the riaa can't touch you. run peergardian and use one of the safe server lists and you should be fine.
    the truth is, you could probably call the riaa and tell them you were stealing music, and they wouldn't really care:
    http://www.zug.com/pranks/riaa/index2.html
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Ok thanks guy
    Where can I find a safe server lists all the ones Ive downloaded thru links on this site all seem to have the same RIAA servers on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast