Thread: GeForce 6600 GT Question

LilAznAccommodator's Avatar Celestial Seraph
    Bah I just got this Video Card today... And I was just curious as to why the Fan is loud, because my friend said that the fan should be quite quiet... But it seems to be pretty loud since before I installed the Video Card my COmptuer was Dead Silent like the computer isn't even on... But now you can hear a Sorta Loud Hum(Fan Sound) ><

And I was wondering if there is any way to slow it down... Without spending money... And if you suggest to remove anything that may be blocking the Air Flow... Since I tried unblocking it and it did no difference in sound...

So is there anything else I could do to 'silence' the fan a little?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    What brand card did you get?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Well I don't know much about Hardware stuff...

But here is the LITERAL phrase of the thing I bought when I got it:

'XFX PVT43AND GeForce 6600 GT AGP 128MB DDR3 Video Card w/TV-Out & Dual DVI Retail'

So don't know...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Nope that is noth how my card looks like.. Well the Fan doesn't look like that...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    You haven't said what you had before, but my guess is that it didn't have much performance.

Why did you think it would be quiet (apart from what your friend said). You've bought a high performance card, high performance cards generate lots of heat, heat needs to be removed with heatsinks and fans. Because of the limited space available they have to use small high speed fans, and by their very nature they are noisy.

In a nutshell, your friend was wrong. BuyGet him to buy you some earplugs.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Some makers of the new nVidia cards are known to use quieter cooling solutions than others...XFX is not one of them.
    As Lynx noted, the new gen cards are much hotter than previous offerings (my 6800 is almost twice as hot as my processor) and require rather extreme HSFs to deal with it.

You could upgrade to a premium aircooled kit like StasisThermal or watercool...either way should reduce noise and increase cooling compared to the stock setup.

Alternatively, you can cram tiny bits of disgustingly earwaxed foam into your head to block the noise.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Well I used to have a crappy ATI 8500LE and I don't know if it was 'modded' or not since it did have extra(6) heatsinks on it and a added on Fan(+Heatsink)

But yeah I guess I can live with it.. Isn't too loud was just curious is all.