Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you think this would run?

I don't want to get 64 bit stuff
    Systems Specs
    -----------------------------------
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n
    -----------------------------------

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Why?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    You will have to get 64-bit eventually. Sooner rather than later if you continue with AMD. Semprons are the last of the 32-bit AMD processors, once they are gone there won't be any more.

The last Socket 754 Athlon 64 processors will be shipped in September at the latest, they are no longer accepting orders for them. So Socket 754 will be for Sempron and Turion 64 (mobile) processors only.

And it looks unlikely that Socket A Sempron's will be available next year either. The roadmap says "As market requires" but doesn't extend beyond First Half '05, and we are past that already.

So your choices are:
    Very dead end: Socket A Sempron.
    Dead end: Socket 754 Sempron.
    Upgradable: Socket 939 Athlon 64.

If you are worried about the stability/software availability of the 64-bit OS you can still use the 32-bit OS on Athlon 64, but mine hasn't crashed in the 5 month's I've had it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    If you don't know what a socket is, and such other basic stuff as that i really do susgest you don't just go and buy this PC. When you come to put it together you won't have a clue. Read up on a few guides.

The Socket A thing is just the socket that yuou place the CPU into, the number its to do with the ammount of pins i think. Socket A is just a simpler n00b friendly way of saying Socket 462.

You have to understand that the socket that is on your mobo is what you are stuck with. So if you buy the best socket A cpu out there you won't be able to upgrade to a new 64 bit CPU without replacing the mobo and reinstalling windows.

If i was you i would try to get a budget 64 bit system with the worse cpu for it (Maybe a 2800 or something) at least in the future that gives you options to upgrade to something like a 3600.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Alright thanks I understand now so I will go with a 64bit system Socket 939 thats all I needed to know Thanks lynx for that info. Also how someone says Socket A and socket 462 just confused me to me id rather stick with someone just saying socket 462. I don't like taking n00b friendly routes Peerzy. Is there any other small things I need to know just like I didn't know about the socket thing?
    Last edited by imasoldier; 08-05-2005 at 12:18 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    I don't know why, but everyone calls it Socket A, perhaps it stands for AMD or Athlon. The Athlon was the first AMD chip where the pin designation was different to Intel's chip, and of course it had to have a different socket too. AMD have continued with that socket for some years, while Intel have gone through Socket 8, Socket 370, Socket 423 and Socket 478.

Intel are now up to Socket 775, but that won't have enough pins for high speed 64-bit computing (just as Socket 754 won't). AMD realised their mistake pretty quickly which is why Socket 754 probably won't be around too long, but Intel seem eager to continue to push Socket 775, presumably because they haven't yet designed a chip with a better interface.

Still, none of that need worry you as long as you get the Socket 939 processor and matching mobo. Watch out for some of the cheap Socket 939 mobo's, they only have 800MHz FSB, but if you go for the one's I suggested you won't go far wrong.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12