Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A note about "numbers"...

lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    What it means is that 95% of the possible results are expected to fall in the range 8.000-194,000. In other words, if you got another piece of data there is a 95% probability that the data would cause the likely total number to fall in the range 8,000-194,000. That may sound like a subtle difference, but it is actually very significant.

If one were simply counting numbers to reach the probable total, then another "piece of data" would be another dead body, and it would automatically shift the total higher. However, the people who compiled the report had to take into account how likely it was that a "body" was caused by the military intervention. Under those conditions another body which you could definitely say was caused by military intervention would cause the likely total to increase, while a body which you could definitely say was not caused by military intervention would cause the likely total to decrease.

Because of that uncertainty there is a wide spread of likely results. However, that spread will not be a flat line but is more likely to look something like this:

At you can see the likelihood of a central result is much higher that one at the fringes.

The significance of these figures becomes apparent not when you incorrectly snear at the 95%CI as Fred Kaplan did, but when you look at the likelihood that the total falls outside the range. It is not only a 95% confidence that the true figure falls inside that range, it is also a 95% confidence that it does not fall outside that range, both above and below, and there is actually a 97.5% confidence that the total is not below 8,000.

Would you place your money on that 2.5% chance of the true total being below 8,000?
    I'm sorry, lynx, but your very able and astute explanation does not relieve my concern, nor does it mitigate my point, which is that numbers are constantly fudged, and people like yourself, in the face of being called for bullshit, then delve into statistical minutiae so as to obfuscate the larger issue of numbers being inflated or diminished to suit a preconceived notion or political agenda.

Where is your proof that numbers are constantly fudged, or is this another of your unsupported generalities? Is it only numbers which contradict your viewpoint which are fudged?

Did I delve into statistical minutae, or was it your correspondent who quoted one piece of information (which on it's own is virtually meaningless) and tried to use it to denounce what must have been several man-years of effort? That's where we see bullshit coming in to play, and it was introduced by yourself.

My point is that this happens constantly, and that accurate numbers are next to impossible to come by, and your point is that certain numbers are de facto accurate, but one must have a mind-set similar to your own to know just which ones they are.

Perhaps you should go back and re-read my posts, you will find that I haven't actually claimed that the numbers are accurate. What I have pointed out (repeatedly) is that the people you have picked to denigrate the figures have done so with absolutely no basis whatsoever. Isn't it strange how they automatically know which ones are fudged.

It now occurs that experience with statistics aids greatly in giving one a leg-up in distilling these numbers and declaring their legitimacy for the benefit of the benighted.

Pity though, my point will not be addressed by such as you, capable as you are; a background in statistical analysis doesn't keep you from avoiding the issue I've raised.

If you present correspondents who quote statistics, you must expect statistics to be used to counter their argument. If for some reason you now think statistics shouldn't be used, then don't introduce them.

Numbers serve agendas, and no amount of testimonial as to the painstaking effort expended in the gathering of them changes the fact.
    Numbers don't serve agendas, numbers exist. Simple uncomplicated facts. I think you mean that people with agendas use or misuse numbers. Or not, when they might prove more than a little embarrassing.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    can i say that the number of dead in iraq will be CI 100% 20000-6000000000?
    No. If the Americans saw 6000000000 people converging on iraq they would class them as insurgents and probably bomb them long before they got there.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Numbers don't serve agendas, numbers exist. Simple uncomplicated facts. I think you mean that people with agendas use or misuse numbers. Or not, when they might prove more than a little embarrassing.
    Numbers aren't facts, simple or otherwise.

A fact tells us something, a number in and of itself tells us nothing. Numbers may form part of a fact, but that does not make a number into a fact.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    can i say that the number of dead in iraq will be CI 100% 20000-6000000000?
    No. If the Americans saw 6000000000 people converging on iraq they would class them as insurgents and probably bomb them long before they got there.
    6,000,000,000 would be about 90% of the world's population, all going to Iraq, at the same time.

That seems at best unlikely.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    whypikonme's Avatar Unemployable
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    6,000,000,000 would be about 90% of the world's population, all going to Iraq, at the same time.

And if they got there OK it's unlikely their luggage would.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1

I'm guessing the last 10% would be the Americans, who would be too busy, what with the bombing, to go with the rest of us.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Makes sense.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!

yeah, but it's fair to say it.

it's a 100% certainty that between 20000 and 6 billion people will and have died in iraq because of the war.

it's a stupid logic that vagueness should equal accuracy

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    whypikonme's Avatar Unemployable
    If it is a pissing contest you desire, you won't find one with me; neither you nor anyone else on this board can out-argue me, and if you think otherwise, well, look around-you have chosen to stand with the choir, and are merely one of many, most of whom could kick you to the curb in any debate you choose.

At this point you have yet to depart from sycophant-status.

Feel free to step away from the crowd and ring your own bell, if you have one...
    Oh really? All l've seen you do so far is dig up other people's opinions and claim them as your own, l've yet to see you put together a coherent argument. When you do l'd be glad to piss on you. As to not being out-argued, l've seen it often, by many members here, l've also seen a fair few dummy spits from you when you don't get your own way. But dream on, it's what you're good at, that and using the thesaurus.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    neither you nor anyone else on this board can out-argue me,
    I recall the one time I tried to seriously, you decided not to..

Indeed, after 2 or 3 months of my trying to get you to debate the issue, you capitulated without an arguement...

I believe it was something to do with US Tax promises and Bush, if i recall correctly?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast