Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd amendment V private comapny

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    story

A question to pro 2nd amendment US citizens:

Do you think it is unreasonable for a company to have a policy prohibiting guns on it's premises?.
    The NRA is organising a boycott of ConocoPhillips after an employee was dismissed for breaking company policy by having legally owned guns in their cars in the company car park.

I am not keen on the gun culture as it stands and think the original intention of the 2nd amendment has been "pushed to the limits", but I do not wish to ban gun ownership.
    I do strongly believe though that people have the right to not allow guns on their property and if one disagrees with a company policy like this then don't work for that company or park off premises.
    ConocoPhillips are not trying to stop their employees owning guns so I am at a loss as to the argument the NRA is making.
    Last edited by vidcc; 08-05-2005 at 05:10 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    story

Do you think it is unreasonable for a company to have a policy prohibiting guns on it's premises?.
    The NRA is organising a boycott of ConocoPhillips after an employee was dismissed for breaking company policy by having legally owned guns in their cars in the company car park.

I am not keen on the gun culture as it stands and think the original intention of the 2nd amendment has been "pushed to the limits", but I do not wish to ban gun ownership.
    I do strongly believe though that people have the right to not allow guns on their property and if one disagrees with a company policy like this then don't work for that company or park off premises.
    ConocoPhillips are not trying to stop their employees owning guns so I am at a loss as to the argument the NRA is making.
    I have no problems with any company not wanting firearms on their property. I can see the danger, especially when it comes to "disgruntled employees" Having been in the position of having to terminate someones employment, firearms don't belong there at all. I agree with you though, I think this is a step overboard by the NRA

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    story

Does that mean just US citizens can post here.

Or can anyone join in.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    i suppose a paranoid loony should be allowed to leave it in their car for the journey to and from home justincase they get hijacked

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    That seems to be open forum then.

If the gun is legal then how have they the right to sack someone for having it in his car, even if it is their car park.

Just because they have a policy does not mean that the policy is fair and reasonable. One assumes he is claiming unfair dismissal.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry
    I have no problems with any company not wanting firearms on their property. I can see the danger, especially when it comes to "disgruntled employees" Having been in the position of having to terminate someones employment, firearms don't belong there at all. I agree with you though, I think this is a step overboard by the NRA
    I tend to think that your exact reasoning is why some people are dismissed by "impersonal" methods such as E.mail or telephone followed by an official letter instead of calling them into the office and explaining why.
    There is a right to carry arms but there are also right places to have them and the company was clear on this.
    I do agree that any private citizen has the right to not patronise any company, I just feel that this reason just exposes the NRA as being an extremist group than a common sense group.
    I may make a point of filling up at their stations from now on.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Many Government Departments or "Outsourcers" in the USA, especially in the USA have similar policies with regard to camera's or mobile phones with camera's. If caught with one on government/company property, its a sacking offence with no appeal. Just ask Mathea

If he knew the policy, then he can have no complaint about about it.

They werent trying to stop him having a gun... just not bring one onto their land. I would have thought that most employers would have similar policies due to Health and Safety legislations.. If someone did go nuts, they'd be sued, im sure.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    i suppose a paranoid loony should be allowed to leave it in their car for the journey to and from home justincase they get hijacked
    They can hide it outside the parking lot, like. In secret. Maybe a few extra guns, just to be sure.

It's about firearms tho', so swords are ok, right?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    So how can you justify sacking someone for doing something which is (presumably) perfectly legal.

If they ban biscuits on their land and someone has some in his car is that also a sacking offence.

Nah, that makes no sense.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    So how can you justify sacking someone for doing something which is (presumably) perfectly legal.

If they ban biscuits on their land and someone has some in his car is that also a sacking offence.

Nah, that makes no sense.
    If it's part of the code of conduct or whatever the company calls it, then yes.

You abide the companies rules for employement.

I cannot work for another telephone company or do any business that my company does or I'm fired.

Companies are justified in barring weapons or cameras on their property.

There isn't a distinction between the parking lot and the office. It's company property.

So if guns are NOT banned on their parking lot, then they aren't in the office and the fella is free to bring guns into his and other's cubicles.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast