Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWHHYY!? Geforce 6800 GT problem

i installed a geforce 6800 gt into my pc, annd, i install the drivers, and when i go into my device manager, it is listed as a Geforce FX 5700 ULTRA, which it is cleary not.

and since its a neat vid card n all, i want to see how games look, but HL2 will give me these errors:

Failed to set video mode - resetting to defaults.
    Game will now restart with the new video settings

then it will say

Failed to set video mode
    This game has a minimum requirement of DirectX 7 compatible hardware

and it just wont run...BF2 works ok... if i have everything set to medium, and 1024x768..and F.E.A.R is also ok if its all set to low, and 1024x768

but i just want to know why its listed as geforce 5700, it doesnt make sense...
    Last edited by colt45joe; 08-07-2005 at 07:54 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45joe
    i installed a geforce 6800 gt into my pc, annd, i install the drivers, and when i go into my device manager, it is listed as a Geforce FX 5700 ULTRA, which it is cleary not.

and since its a neat vid card n all, i want to see how games look, but HL2 will give me these errors:

Failed to set video mode - resetting to defaults.
    Game will now restart with the new video settings

then it will say

Failed to set video mode
    This game has a minimum requirement of DirectX 7 compatible hardware

and it just wont run...BF2 works ok... if i have everything set to medium, and 1024x768..and F.E.A.R is also ok if its all set to low, and 1024x768

have you tried getting updated drivers from the Nvidia site ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Retired
    you get that error with all Valve games if you use the latest nvidia drivers (had the same problem)

get the 71.89 drivers
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 08-06-2005 at 09:54 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Tell your system you have a standard VGA graphics card (which you should have done before removing your 5700), then reboot. The system will detect your 6800 and ask for the drivers - simply point it to where you stored your Nvidia drivers.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Tell your system you have a standard VGA graphics card (which you should have done before removing your 5700)

how do i do that?
    also, thing is, i never had a geforce 5700, so its wierd that its listed like that..

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Guyver's Avatar FORUM STONER
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Tell your system you have a standard VGA graphics card (which you should have done before removing your 5700)

how do i do that?
    also, thing is, i never had a geforce 5700, so its wierd that its listed like that..
    isnt there a setting in the bios?

Smith is a bag of douche,FACT.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    maybe...

I went into the BIOS, and there was a video mode, and it was set to EGA/VGA...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Guyver's Avatar FORUM STONER
    maybe...

turn to VGA eh

Smith is a bag of douche,FACT.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyver
    maybe...

turn to VGA eh
    well..it is, its set to EGA/VGA...they are one...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Sorry i misread your original post, I thought it said you had removed a 5700 and replaced it with a 6800.

However, you obviously didn't remove the old card properly, whatever it was.
    When replacing a graphics card you should go to device manager and uninstall the graphics card, then detect new hardware (or simply reboot) and let it find the card again, but force it to use standard VGA drivers. Then shut down, replace the graphics card, reboot and allow it to find the new card, but this time you can install the correct drivers.

Since you didn't go through that procedure it is not certain what it will have done with the old drivers. If the old card was an Nvidia card you can probably just delete the display adapter from Device manager, then reboot and redetect the card. That should remove the old drivers and give you chance to install newer ones. If the old card was not Nvidia you may find the problem is not as easy to resolve, but try deleting the display adapter anyway.

While you are in device manager, select "view" and check "show hidden devices". That may reveal the old graphics card, if so delete that one too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast